Who chose Simpson and Steele?

sage

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's starting to become pretty obvious that much of this has been going on while Nigel was still in charge.

It wouldn't suprise me if they drew up a shortlist together.

Simpson would be fairly unknown to Rush? Steele does carry a bigger reputation obviously. But if McClaren won't be signing players with complete freedom I very much doubt he'd be able to get Paul Simpson in just like that.

No disrespect to Simpson. I just don't think he'd be on Rush's mind. But I don't see how McClaren could get him in just like that if he's going to be policed by a DoF.

Just ideas like

"I got a phonecall off Steve about 8pm on Sunday night, just to say "I'm going in for talks". I said well "fantastic, I'm really pleased for you, why are you ringing me about it for?" and he said "would you like to come in and help me" which i just said "Yep, when do you want me to start"

Simpson on Ramsplayer. Don't see that Simpson needs to lie about anything, so...

The club had obviously wanted to make these footballing changes and I think had already spoken to stevie mac and asked who would like to work with.

I agree with what has been said, simpson would not be in rushes mindset, it's come from mac.

Do we think clough knew this was coming?. And do we think Metgod could still do a job for us in some capacity?

It's starting to become pretty obvious that much of this has been going on while Nigel was still in charge.

It wouldn't suprise me if they drew up a shortlist together.

Simpson would be fairly unknown to Rush? Steele does carry a bigger reputation obviously. But if McClaren won't be signing players with complete freedom I very much doubt he'd be able to get Paul Simpson in just like that.

No disrespect to Simpson. I just don't think he'd be on Rush's mind. But I don't see how McClaren could get him in just like that if he's going to be policed by a DoF.

Just ideas like

According to his interview this morning he said he got the call from Rush on Saturday night. Reading that either Rush is an extremely quick worker or he's a shady fooker that's been planning this for weeks. I guess it's the latter and I'm ok with that, nice guys don't get very far in this type of business. Just ask Nigel...

The club had obviously wanted to make these footballing changes and I think had already spoken to stevie mac and asked who would like to work with.

I agree with what has been said, simpson would not be in rushes mindset, it's come from mac.

Do we think clough knew this was coming?. And do we think Metgod could still do a job for us in some capacity?

Yes I'm sure that Metgod (being Dutch and all that) could work with Schteeve. As interpreter.

I think that Rush most probably had his mind made up for him and had to move quickly due to Sunderland being after a manager as well.

I think Mclaren would have already had ideas in his own head about who he would like to work with if he got back into management, whether these two were his first choice or the best he could get for the budget I don't think we will find out.

I imagine they'd been considering it and had a shortlist drawn up. Nothing wrong with that at all, it's called a contingency plan.

Exactly.

I'm sure people would be delighted if we sacked Clough and then the club came out and said "We've parted ways with Nigel, but tbh we haven't a clue where we want to go from here. Who's available? Buggered if we know, we'll get back to you in 3 weeks"

Archived