Michael Keane

North_Stand_Ram

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Perhaps it was Rush who was telling Clough that he could not bring a centre half for budget reasons, and Clough decided to bring the lad in on loan anyway (despite what had been said - perhaps he was only 'toeing the party line' in public). Then Rush had a major wobbly and Nigel paid the price.

It's as plausible as some of the stories that people post on here anyway.

I very much doubt Clough would have gone out and negotiated a loan deal without the clubs knowledge.

I very much doubt Clough would have gone out and negotiated a loan deal without the clubs knowledge.

Perhaps the converse was true though, and Clough took it as an affront (i.e. undermining his authority on playing matters). After all, it was suggested that BD wouldn't play Earnshaw because he was a 'present' from Gadsby and not a true Billy signing.

Perhaps the converse was true though, and Clough took it as an affront (i.e. undermining his authority on playing matters). After all, it was suggested that BD wouldn't play Earnshaw because he was a 'present' from Gadsby and not a true Billy signing.

In the same way that Maguire was a present from Glick.

http://m.derbytelegraph.co.uk/articles/news/article/19869786

SAM Rush has hinted that Derby County are still interested in Manchester United defender Michael Keane.

The Rams inquired about taking the 20-year-old centre-back on loan last week but a deal was not possible.

They have since brought in central defender Zak Whitbread on a three-month loan from Leicester City and he made his debut in last night’s game against Ipswich Town.

Now, chief executive Rush has suggested the Keane deal could be resurrected.

“I think Michael Keane has more opportunity of coming to this club with Steve McClaren as head coach because of his relationship with Manchester United,” said Rush.

“That is one of the things we are looking to do with our current set-up, to have connections and relationships with top clubs. This is a key area to find a competitive advantage.

“The top clubs have massive squads and they are Hoovering up young talent left, right and centre.

“If clubs can feel they want to place their best players with us, and feel they are going to be coached to a really high level, then they are going to be happy to place them with us.”

Whitbread was signed on Sunday night when Derby were without a manager.

This followed defender Richard Keogh’s sending-off against Nottingham Forest the previous day, which meant the skipper would be banned for one match.

Rush explained: “We always have a list of players.

“We have only really had two centre-backs (Keogh and Jake Buxton), and myself and Nigel (Clough) talked on a regular basis about what would happen if one got injured.

“So we had a list of players and Zak Whitbread was on that list.

“I spoke to (Academy manager) Darren Wassall once we appointed him as the interim coach on Sunday.

“I sat down and showed him the list myself and Nigel had been working on in terms of who we might bring in and we brought Zak in.”

Archived