Johnny Russell

uttoxram75

Problem with Russell is that he was a victim of the formation used by the previous regime. He needs to be running onto a pass on the penalty spot, but has been required to be a team player and run the channels, play 40yds with his back to goal and link up play.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think he's been a bit hit and miss this season. Looks a decent prospect at times, but just seems to be on the periphery of the game most of the time. Mind you as posters have alluded too, I don't think the system has suited him this far.

Maybe in the 'side' as in, those who've been playing, but in terms of raw pace I think Sammon is actually quicker.

Yeah could go with that, but just remember pre-season where Russell won all the short distance fitness tests - so, I just assumed he is faster.

but yeah, I used to laugh at people calling Sammon slow last season, he is like a freight train in every single way. His first touch is always spot on too (and this is factual) it's his second touch that's the problem - it is like a freight train is in full swing!  :lol:

Johnny Russell aka the Scottish Messi you all creamed over in the summer will hopefully get more freedom under SM.. Like mostyn says, I don't think he has been utilized very well out on the right running the channels..

But I guess that's the problem if we're dominating possession but have no outlet on the right.. Someone has to at least go out there into space ifour fullbacks aren't willing to push up.

The people I sit near don't rate him at all. Every time they see him on the teamsheet, they're berating the manager for not picking Sammon :lol:

On the other hand, I think he's a great player. Needs a bit more time to adjust but he's touching 1 goal every 2 games from his first 10 or so games in a very difficult (and different) league.

I like his movement the most though. If you get chance, watch him for a couple of minutes. He tracks back when he needs to but, when we've got possession, his willingness to make intelligent runs is outstanding. I agree he runs the channels a bit too much but, with time, I think he'll learn that his place is in the box at all times.

I reckon he'll score 17 goals this season :p

The people I sit near don't rate him at all. Every time they see him on the teamsheet, they're berating the manager for not picking Sammon :lol:

In one game last season, I sat next to a bloke who mocked Sammon every time he controlled the ball or won a header. He made the first goal that day with a good cross. I pointed out that he was doing quite well. He said something to the effect that he might be  - but he didn't normally.

I guess this could be one of your "people". although I suppose there are plenty like him. Must have someone to criticise and put off - then they can call him! Strange that we're doing better away from home this time around.....

Hector was a great player.

George was a great player.

Saunders was a very good player.

Simmo was a good player.

Sturridge was a good player.

Russell is a player.

These things are all relative, though, and who you have seen wearing the shirt previously will influence your judgement for the rest of your life.

In one game last season, I sat next to a bloke who mocked Sammon every time he controlled the ball or won a header. He made the first goal that day with a good cross. I pointed out that he was doing quite well. He said something to the effect that he might be  - but he didn't normally.

I guess this could be one of your "people". although I suppose there are plenty like him. Must have someone to criticise and put off - then they can call him! Strange that we're doing better away from home this time around.....

Exactly. I wouldn't be surprised if these people were also some of the minority booing Sammon every time he miscontrolled the ball (remember how ridiculous that was?). Now he's our best striker apparently :rolleyes:

but yeah, I used to laugh at people calling Sammon slow last season, he is like a freight train in every single way. His first touch is always spot on too (and this is factual) it's his second touch that's the problem - it is like a freight train is in full swing!  :lol:

Well, often!

What does let him down a lot as well is his chest control. With his feet he's usually fine and often actually very clever, but I don't think he's ever sucessfully brought it down on his chest.

Was absolutely gutted when I discovered we weren't getting James Vaughn but yet another SPL lucky dip player...How the fook did Huddersfield end up with Vaughn & we end up with Russell (just my feelings on the matter)....so far I haven't seen anything from him that has convinced me he is the the forward we need to help us with a promotion push...Bennett over Russell for me..

Was absolutely gutted when I discovered we weren't getting James Vaughn but yet another SPL lucky dip player...How the fook did Huddersfield end up with Vaughn & we end up with Russell (just my feelings on the matter)....so far I haven't seen anything from him that has convinced me he is the the forward we need to help us with a promotion push...Bennett over Russell for me..

Maybe Vaughan wanted to go back to Huddersfield after a settled loan spell? Maybe they offered more. 

What have you seen in Bennett that you've not in Russell ?

Simmo was a good player.

Russell is a player.

These things are all relative, though, and who you have seen wearing the shirt previously will influence your judgement for the rest of your life.

I'd have squeezed Bobby Davison in between Deano and Simmo.....not so much for his quality but his outright bravery and committment and goals and sheer joy on his face when he scored for Derby :wub:

I'd have squeezed Bobby Davison in between Deano and Simmo.....not so much for his quality but his outright bravery and committment and goals and sheer joy on his face when he scored for Derby :wub:

Oh, it wasn't an exclusive list, Utch. Otherwise I'd have got Eddie Thomas in there somewhere.

Simmo was a good player.

Russell is a player.

Why then, having seen Todd. McFarland, Mark Wright and Igor, do i love Jake Buxton to bits?

Sometimes its about the player as a person. People who worship success only will not understand that.

I know you will Eddie........ ;)

Archived