Johnny Russell

uttoxram75

One of the most pleasing things for me this season so far was Johnny's two goals at Bolton.

Build up aside, the goals themselves were not much to shout about, scrappy poke and a deflected "nudge" over the line from close range.

Yet, both goals were the result of intelligent running, positioning, reading the game and the courage and resolve to get in where it hurts to steal a goal.

I hoped when we signed him that Russell could become our Bobby Davison. On the evidence of Bolton I believe he can.

He seems to have enough ability to contribute outside the box in general play, and he is adapting to the ferocity and pace of two hard games a week, but its the out and out goal poachers instinct that causes the odd bit of leakage. :blink:

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think he needs to try less to score more goals, very shrewd in front of goal but at the minute in a lot of games he is running all the channels and being a bigger part of the link up play.

A very high quality player for me, and will score goals as the season goes on. He has 4 this season and he has played 7 games - better than 1 in 2, and I don't feel like he has touched on what he could be.

The strikers this season have all been of very high quality. Jacobs in his one match was very good, Bennett when he has had a chance has looked dangerous, Sammon has 2 in 2 and one assists, his performance at Brentford was first rate! and Martin, and Russell have been outstanding.

A very good front line, with all roles to play! 

• 2 weeks later...

After watching the second half of the Ipswich game on Ramsplayer, it was unfortunate he wasn't on the pitch. We created more opportunities in that 45 minutes than we did against Reading, Leicester and Forest. He's not started too badly but we need to offer more to him. 

After watching the second half of the Ipswich game on Ramsplayer, it was unfortunate he wasn't on the pitch. We created more opportunities in that 45 minutes than we did against Reading, Leicester and Forest. He's not started too badly but we need to offer more to him. 

Lacks pace for me can't get away from players at this level, he may end up making himself more of a target player like Marco Gabbiadini did back in the day. We have Martin though so we don't really need that player.

That he was overlooked on Tuesday says a lot for me, both Wassall and Mac must have reservations on him. I've not been over impressed to be honest.

Lacks pace for me can't get away from players at this level, he may end up making himself more of a target player like Marco Gabbiadini did back in the day. We have Martin though so we don't really need that player.

That he was overlooked on Tuesday says a lot for me, both Wassall and Mac must have reservations on him. I've not been over impressed to be honest.

He's hardly slow though? He's not lightening but he's pretty nippy. Interesting to watch, a very clever player who's always looking for those little pockets and alleys created diagonally due to our central play. Aslong as you've got good awareness, good movement and you've not got Per Mertesacker speed you'll do ok at this level. It's all good and well having pace but if you've got no clue how to use it (Theo/Tyson) then there's no point in having it. 

Aslong as you create plenty of chances your strikers will score. I wouldn't say we've been that creative this season so far bar Yeovil/Millwall. Compared to the chances we created last season, especially at home. We'd hardly seen a goal scored bar Tuesday! 

I think Russell has settled ok. Not an awful return of goals, if we can crack the home form then I see no reason why he shouldn't be getting 15+. 

I like him,a lot. :cool:

I think he'll be a top striker for us, and the first to get 20+ since,well,forever. :D

My money's on Bryson bagging 20 from midfield.

My money's on Bryson bagging 20 from midfield.

6 goals already, I fancy him getting around 15.

If he does that, premier league clubs will be all over him come the summer - only the top top top quality players (at this level) hit that sort of level, and as he isn't even prominently an attacking midfielder. We will have clubs throwing a blank cheque at us. 

Signing him on a new deal was by far and wide the best thing we did this summer. 

I've struggled in general play what he has added to the team any more than theo but he does have a few goals. I don't see Steve mc playing two up front so don't know if he will fit in unless he plays wide

Seriously?

He has offered more in general play than I was expecting, very good quality footballer - I sometimes wish he would just play off the last man though.

Watched him every minute this season - talented boy, but often found in the wrong places. Like tito but better quality! 

He's hardly slow though? He's not lightening but he's pretty nippy. Interesting to watch, a very clever player who's always looking for those little pockets and alleys created diagonally due to our central play. Aslong as you've got good awareness, good movement and you've not got Per Mertesacker speed you'll do ok at this level. It's all good and well having pace but if you've got no clue how to use it (Theo/Tyson) then there's no point in having it. 

Aslong as you create plenty of chances your strikers will score. I wouldn't say we've been that creative this season so far bar Yeovil/Millwall. Compared to the chances we created last season, especially at home. We'd hardly seen a goal scored bar Tuesday! 

I think Russell has settled ok. Not an awful return of goals, if we can crack the home form then I see no reason why he shouldn't be getting 15+. 

I think he's struggling to make the step up, his mobility and movement isn't fantastic either in my view. Bryson was quite open about the difficulties he found adapting from Scottish Football, it is just so much more organised in England. He had his tremendous fitness and will to see him through but he found it very tough.

Russell will have to adapt his game but there have to be big questions. Can he do it and will he get much of a chance because the new boss looks as if he likes Bennett.

What? he was injured - and slow? he is the fastest player in the side  :lol:

I'm impressed with the way he moves in the box. Not seen that for a few years.

I think he's progressed since the opening day. That's reassuring. He was way off the pace to begin with. The Championship has got to be the fastest league? Or the entire football league are surely the fastest leagues? They just promote pace and strength. Very much what we produce in this country.

If he keeps progressing and learns he has to think fast and act quick I'm sure he'll do ok. Technically he's good. His movement in the box is good.

I think the only reasons he's struggled are because we've not really created opportunities for his movement to pay off.

The second reason is just how much time he's got on the ball. If he doesn't think and act quicker he won't make it in this league. But the slow progress since his debut seems to me like he'll be a decent addition.

He's not as quick as Theo. I don't rate him that much, he was shocking against Forest.

You would be hard pressed to name 2 players in the Championship quicker than Theo.

Archived