What was you doing?

Mostyn6

September the 11th, (or as the yanks like to think November the 9th) is a notorious date due to a series of 'terrorist attacks'* on America.

What was you doing at the time?

I was looking for a purple Laura Ashley sofa in M-Unit warehouse at Ryder Systemcare.

*terrorist attack or inside job is another discussion for another thread.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watched it live on TV. Was on lates and had the BBC news on while pottering about the house when reports of the first tower being hit came on. People were screaming that they'd seen a plane fly into the tower, real chaos, then live footage of the 2nd plane going straight through the other tower was just unbelievable. Ended up watching in horror for about 3 hours. Never forget the close ups of people jumping from 80 odd floors up, arms and legs flayling, awful.

I don't think some of that live footage was shown for years after.

I was getting picked up from School. My dad at the time worked a lot from home and stuck on the news as he always does at lunch time and he didn't leave the TV until he came to pick me up.

I can't remember the reason why but he ended up talking to the head teacher and he said "I can't believe what's happened, can you?" and the head teacher knew nothing at all. He couldn't believe what he was hearing.

I must have been 6 at the time but you can't see something like that and not grasp how much of a shake-up it is. I remember my dad telling me who might have done it and why, which I'm still thankful for now. My parents never hid stuff like that from me pretty much no matter what my age.

Finished work, got home, started ironing and put the telly on for background noise and saw what I thought was a new blockbuster film being advertised.

It looked amazing, the special effects were awesome, some top notch stunts!

Even when it became clear that it was a real disaster I still didn't want to believe it and felt sick to my stomach. Horrible day and following weeks.

some lad I worked with, who was a bit.. er... slow on the uptake..

he come shuffling over "..just seen the telly in Kev's (the canteen)... there are people flying helicopters into the Empire State Building and killing themselves..."

I went into the canteen just as the second plane hit, I thought it was some elaborate updated hoax version of war of the worlds or something.

Then went home and was glued to Sky news all night as the various amateur footage was emerging from ground level of people running away from duststorms.

Still feels surreal now.

Watching the England game (against Germany) and the twin towers are images that are buried in my mind - crazy to think they were just 11 days apart! 

I came home from school, walked through the door and my mum had it on television - at that point in my life, I didn't really know much about the twin towers or how many people were in there. Watching it all the way through until late until the night, was shocking.

Worth remembering it wasn't the only terrorist target that day, but it's one of the most shocking events in history. 

I was walking home from School and a man in a Channel 9 van (Local Community TV Station in Derry that no longer exists) was talking on the phone. I could hear hom as the window was down and overheard him saying about how the media coverage would need to be increased dramatically to cover how Americans in the City is feeling at that moment. I had no idea what he was chatting about until I crossed the road, went into the house and saw the news. 

I was in "hair and make up" waiting to go on Countdown when the first plane hit.

It was surreal.

My show was recorded even though we'd asked if we could postpone it.

Me and 6 other contestants watching in horror and shock, I honestly thought at that point it would provoke the next world war.

Anyhow, I lost badly to the reigning champ who'd won 5 out of 5 already. I only played him cos the guy who i was due to play turned up late.

Totally froze after I got the within 2 of the maths question but couldn't explain it as I hadn't written it down. I totally blanked and couldn't concentrate, when I was playing at home Countdown was a doddle and that day taught me I wasn't as good under pressure as I thought.

None of us wanted to be there, we all wanted to get back to the TV's to see what the hell was going on.

Anyway lifetime ambition got fulfilled, Richard Whiteley cracked a couple of jokes about me, I didn't win my mam a countdown teapot BUT.....

I did get to meet and chat to the lovely luscious sexy and clever Suzy Dent, I told her I'd fancied her since I was about 11 and she looked at me with sad eyes, I figured she must only date people who won on the show, can't imagine her accepting the advances of a guy who just got beat by a total dullard.

Sad and shocking day all round.

Agree with Cisse, you knew you were watching something that was totally going to change the world.

I was working for a company in London that integrated companies financial data into their website. I remember a colleague coming in and saying someone had flown into the work trade centre. At first we all thought it was going to be a small jet and something like pilot error "how the hell do not see the world trade centre?"

News was put on a small Tv in the corner of the big open plan office and it sank in. The 2nd plane hit and everyone stood there is disbelief, well nearly everyone. When the 2nd tower collapsed, the boss of the company was looking at the FTSE index price in the lower left corner and said "see I knew it, I knew the index would fall" she was annoyed and upset about that but not a flicker for the hundreds of people in the tower. At that point I knew I was in the wrong job for me and quickly found a completely new career.

Archived