Will This Year Be Clough Last Year In Charge

gboil

Said many times before, I don't think anyone would have done Clough's job up to now, before you even get in to a discussion of who could have done it.

For that he should be thanked and remembered - he's turned us into a respectable, honest Championship side from one of footballing history's most expensive laughing stocks.

But the job description has changed now, and those set of skills from Clough to get us here will not necessarily make us Champions.

My take on the matter is that either Clough learns, or he goes. The Clough fans like me will begin to lose patience if we don't start getting closer to the playoffs - because that's what it's about now, surely?

Maybe a little more dosh for wages so things aren’t always quite so tight and restrictive would help as well.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"I do believe Nigel is very much his own man, but he does want to create his own dynasty at the club, he's already spoken of a ten-year plan.

This was taken on the appointment of Clough in January 09, from then chairman at the time Adam "alcho-head" Pearson.

Said many times before, I don't think anyone would have done Clough's job up to now, before you even get in to a discussion of who could have done it.

For that he should be thanked and remembered - he's turned us into a respectable, honest Championship side from one of footballing history's most expensive laughing stocks.

But the job description has changed now, and those set of skills from Clough to get us here will not necessarily make us Champions.

My take on the matter is that either Clough learns, or he goes. The Clough fans like me will begin to lose patience if we don't start getting closer to the playoffs - because that's what it's about now, surely?

I agree with that but don't see why this season is so important to some other people. It's pretty clear that it's still a work in progress, both on and off the field. The investors aren't really going for it, are they? It's gradual. I suspect we're still in the 6-10th League. Two very good and proven signings at Centre Half and Right Midfield [probably about £3m for the 2] would help to persuade me that we're serious this season. You don't really give out that message by selling the likes of Brayford, even if it's not bad business financially.

How much closer to the play offs this season? A little I suspect but there are some very good teams around and it won't be easy. If Wigan keep their players and keep signing new ones....if QPR, Reading, Bolton, Blackburn, Leicester, blah, blah. 6th would be a very good season.

What would you like Nigel Clough to learn? 

I can agree, but unless there is a change from the board - I find it difficult to conceive that we will ever be favourites for promotion. 

All said and done, so far this summer we have sold one of our best players for well over a million, nearly 2 million with add ons yet, we haven't spent anything close to that on players coming in. Russell cost us half (nearly exactly) what we sold Brayford to Cardiff for, okay this is all speculative but it points roughly in this direction - we can improve, every team can improve and it's frustrating that we seem reluctant to do so, in terms of bringing personnel through the door anyway. 

I don't think another manager coming in will suddenly change our fortunes, people will always pick apart his tactics/selection and this will never change - just like if I was in Nigels position then I'm sure he would disagree with my tactics/formation/selection - just like I would with yours, and probably everyone elses. It's a game of opinion - and everyones way is the right way! 

Unless we were prepared to really push on in the premier league (which I doubt we would) then I'm in no rush for the so called 'holy grail' of english football anyway, so therefore my reasons in my continued support of nostalgia and nigel! 

He rebuilt the squad which all managers do and was his choice. What do you you mean top to bottom? Do you mean put his own people in the academy set up? Again most managers do that as well. It's nothing that doesn't happen at all the other clubs

Was his choice? So you think the board would have been happy to keep the squad together that he inherited?

Yes and look at the youngsters now coming through compared to previous years.

I wonder how many managers you can name who have had undertake such cost cutting measures whilst steadily improving the league position each year?

To stop saying "errrrrrrm" every other word

Why does that distress you so much for you to comment on it. Is your speech perfect? Your writing certainly isn't without flaws, but nobody is going to comment on that (apart from me of course  :) ).

It is pretty funny though, you have to admit.

"We have a lovely bunch of lads and errrrm it's a great dressing room errrrm a lovely team spirit errrrm I've had no money errrrm barney rubble errrm I'm happy we didn't lose errrm...."

It is pretty funny though, you have to admit.

"We have a lovely bunch of lads and errrrm it's a great dressing room errrrm a lovely team spirit errrrm I've had no money errrrm barney rubble errrm I'm happy we didn't lose errrm...."

Must be great to be perfect.

I agree with that but don't see why this season is so important to some other people. It's pretty clear that it's still a work in progress, both on and off the field. The investors aren't really going for it, are they? It's gradual. I suspect we're still in the 6-10th League. Two very good and proven signings at Centre Half and Right Midfield [probably about £3m for the 2] would help to persuade me that we're serious this season. You don't really give out that message by selling the likes of Brayford, even if it's not bad business financially.

How much closer to the play offs this season? A little I suspect but there are some very good teams around and it won't be easy. If Wigan keep their players and keep signing new ones....if QPR, Reading, Bolton, Blackburn, Leicester, blah, blah. 6th would be a very good season.

The problem I have is that I suspect each season we will sell one of our star players as their contract reaches its final year and they want better things. We have to show some ambition to keep the better players here. Loyalty I am afraid is a dying quality. We could very easily get into a cycle of always being that one or two players short. Clough has done a great job for the club as a whole but loitering in midtable is not attractive for fans or players. Which is why I think this season we have to push on, otherwise we'll be saying the same things next season.

Clough has this season and next left on his contract(I think). If he does not achieve top six this season, he will be under huge pressure the following to earn himself a new one. I don't think he will be sacked before then unless we have a disaster, then again I feel Rush wants things to happen a little quicker...

"I do believe Nigel is very much his own man, but he does want to create his own dynasty at the club, he's already spoken of a ten-year plan.

This was taken on the appointment of Clough in January 09, from then chairman at the time Adam "alcho-head" Pearson.

Another 5 years of this! Please god... NO! :o

I think the fact Clough has been given so long is a good thing. I'm not going to say it's much better than doing a  Blackburn/Wolves and changing managers every 5 seconds, but if you look at Leicester and Forest they both have reinstated managers who they'd previously sacked because they were no better off without them. Be careful what you wish for.

If we sacked Clough, I'm not sure what sort of managers we'd attract considering how stingey our owners are. Managers like King Billy would throw tantrums with our board and walk out if he couldn't blow some money every Summer.

Tactically he's very questionable, but we have more home games where we score 3 and it hasn't mattered he's gone negative with 20 minutes to go. The away form is something different completely but I'm reserving judgement until we've had a few more games this year.

Also I'm hoping he'll take a chunk out of Billy again at Forest this year  :lol:

The only thing that cannot be sniffed at whether you like our current management or not is the fantastic work they have done with the academy, It is now arguably producing the best talent I have ever known come out of the academy............the only other player of note is Huddlestone, maybe a bit unfair to judge but I can see Will Hughes being a far superior player than Hudd.

The current age of newest superstar means that they have played a massive part in the growth of Hughes, and they reportedly stole him from Forest? Even better.

Will Hughes is fantastic talent and one of the best prospects in the country. Is that all down to derby or has he just got the ability? I think they have played a part of course but he has the raw talent.

To say our youth policy is so amazing is over the top, yes we have Hughes, Hendrick who is. Steady champ player so far and OB I guess but I'm not a huge fan myself of him. Even in recent times we have produced players, the batch of grant, camp, nya, Holmes, Huddleston, Addison, Barnes, izale under westley to be fair was pretty successful as it produced so many pro footballers. Huddleston is a huge success as he has gone on and played for England which hopefully Hughes should do if he kicks on and has some luck.

Clough has put good people in charge but the academy's success is down to Wassell, Pat and all their staff.

Are you saying that clough is a success due to is having produced 3 players?

I'd love to see who we would bring in if Clough wasn't manager.

My guess would be Gary Rowett - who I wouldn't actually mind, but im guessing the people who want Clough out are dreaming up Martin O'Neil  :lol:

IGOR

Seriously I would love NC to suceed and in terms of buying and selling on a shoe string lots of other managers would have relegated us in the process.However I am at the stage where I need some  desire and passion and dare I say ambition , its about entertainment, its a labour of love watching Derby at the moment.

Archived