Johnny Russell

ScoDav

No we created chances, but didn't score them. 

296 shots last season away from home and scored 22 goals - therefore scored on average a goal every 13 shots (just over) that is what isn't good enough, not that we didn't create chances IMO.

Don't get lured into the darkness of the data, deny data dialogue. You will wither and age long before a single inane comment is retracted.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just noticed that Celtic have accepted QPRs £5million bid for Gary Hooper.

Chapeau to DCFC for getting Russell signed up early - if we had sat on our hands you can guarrantee that he would now be on his way to Celtic

Nonsense.

If Celtic had any interest in the player, they would have made a bid and he would have signed for them.

When he signed for us, there was little or no interest from any othe clubs this despite their manager touting his name around to try and get the biggest fee possible.

Nonsense.

If Celtic had any interest in the player, they would have made a bid and he would have signed for them.

When he signed for us, there was little or no interest from any othe clubs this despite their manager touting his name around to try and get the biggest fee possible.

I remember predicting people saying exactly this since before people even thought he was a realistic target. In fact, I recall mentioning that people would say this when he signed back when people said we had absolutely no chance of signing him, some even saying they'd run round town naked if he did.

I remember all the Premier League interest in Jacobs as well, not to mention interesting in so many players that we've ended up signing and how "we couldn't compete", until we actually signed them, then they were apparently unwanted and terrible.

It's funny though, when the club go out, do their job and find good targets, we slam them for it citing wikipedia or what some chap down the pub/ internet said about him. We of course, save this until they are signed, then question their goal scoring record here and previously, or question why the club would sign such players. You're entirely right though, the club should know what they're doing and the overall goal records shouldn't be the only thing considered, but for a player like Russell, who I doubt many of us have seen a great deal of, there's no much else to go on, but there seems to be a bizarre amount of excitement, which I can only see ending in tears at this rate, simply because the chances of him being some supreme saviour up front being minimal, not because of anything to do with him, but simply because players rarely have such amazing seasons. It's better that if he does sign for us not to have ridiculous expectations on him, but apparently that has gone over a few people's heads.

As for goal scoring records though, normally 8 in 16 in Scotland is worth 4 in 16 in the Championship. I don't know why, that's just what we see from the Scottish strikers who end up in the Championship, at least from what I remember, I'm currently working on a new review of this though, we'll see what comes off from it.

Here's one of those posts, this one from the 29th of May. Good to see it's started before we've even kicked a ball this season.

Nonsense.

There isn't an awful lot on money in scottish football you know... and Celtic must be paying near premier league wages to get people to play up there... So I wouldn't be surprised if they had to get people off their books before they can sign anyone...

Just speculation though

Nonsense.

I'm pretty sure in his RamsPlayer interview that he said other clubs had spoke to Dundee United about him, just that no bids had been made. Don't think "interest" is the correct word.

I'm pretty sure in his RamsPlayer interview that he said other clubs had spoke to Dundee United about him, just that no bids had been made. Don't think "interest" is the correct word.

I think other people use interest in the wrong way... If clubs got in touch with Dundee Utd then they're showing interest... In fact sending a scout to watch a player is showing interest... however no formal bids were made other than ours as far as I'm aware...

• 2 weeks later...

On the radio after Russell and Clough said he was brought off because he was knacked - Russell bemoaned his own fitness.

yes I caught the very last bit, where George Dawes was saying it was refreshing to hear his admission of unfitness.

I wasn't refreshed, I was upset.

yes I caught the very last bit, where George Dawes was saying it was refreshing to hear his admission of unfitness.

I wasn't refreshed, I was upset.

I was the same, Hendrick said the same last season - it's one of the very many things that irritates me about football players. 

What's he been upto then?

I guess our players do have a target fitness to return back at.

Russell must have really been living it up in the Canary Islands.

Really shows up the Scottish leagues for what they are.

Bryson is the one which has adapted easily to the pace.

Archived