Johnny Russell

ScoDav

Still don't get what this problem is with British strikers and movement, often it's as simple as taking one step away from a defender and/or taking a gamble. Seems to be beyond most of them anyway.

Nice to see that Russell has worked it out though seemingly. In England, if you know how to move about a bit, you're over half way to being a decent striker.

Positive signs though!

Its clever movement you battery powered fool. Clever. maybe instinctive would better describe it.....he's our Bobby Davison, live with it.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its clever movement you battery powered fool. Clever. maybe instinctive would better describe it.....he's our Bobby Davison, live with it.

How come all these foreign strikers are better at it then? For many reasons, footballers often aren't the brightest spanners in the works, just the foreign players are coached better. Not having that they have a better natural instinct than British strikers, though some have it.

I may be a battery powered fool but I know how to move about in to a bit of space.

How come all these foreign strikers are better at it then? For many reasons, footballers often aren't the brightest spanners in the works, just the foreign players are coached better. Not having that they have a better natural instinct than British strikers, though some have it.

I may be a battery powered fool but I know how to move about in to a bit of space.

Well move elsewhere into space then. Outer space preferably.

You will see and you will understand. Trust us, trust the unselfish who quietly travel the four corners of the known world to bring you news from deepest staffordshire on our noble quest to report the phenomena that is Bobby Russell. Or is it Johhny Davison....whatever.....his movement is far better than some electrically charged pink rabbit could ever be.

Well move elsewhere into space then. Outer space preferably.

You will see and you will understand. Trust us, trust the unselfish who quietly travel the four corners of the known world to bring you news from deepest staffordshire on our noble quest to report the phenomena that is Bobby Russell. Or is it Johhny Davison....whatever.....his movement is far better than some electrically charged pink rabbit could ever be.

No, obviously players of Davison's ilk have something that we don't in terms of movement, this was more of a pop at other players who have a knack for avoiding space at all costs. When a player looks like he's about to put in a low cross, it's not rocket science to work out you take one step back away from the defender to find space...yet that sort of thing is worshipped on MoTD by Shearer.

Besides, Duracell Bunnys have amazing movement, what you on about.

I don't think I have been this excited about seeing a new derby player.

I seem to say this every year BUT... We do have a chance at top 6 with an out and out goal scorer who poaches on anything.

We have been crying out for one since Howard really Hulse was great but I do think Russell could be the one.

I'm not getting ahead of myself though and will keep judgement reserved until the home game vs Blackburn on Sky. After all they are friendlies and his exploits have been in Scotland.

Lets hope he can be the catalyst for a promotion season.

Personally I think Martin and Russell could be a deadly partnership. Russell bombing forward with pace and Martin dropping off to make use of the space in front.

I still don't get why people think that scoring goals was the problem with this team?

The problem wasn't scoring goals, it was the consistency that we scored goals at.  Last season, we had games where we looked liked we could score for fun and we had games where we missed chance after chance and then ended up losing to the odd defensive lapse. If we have someone in the team that can put away a few of those chances in games like that it will make a world of difference.

I still don't get why people think that scoring goals was the problem with this team?

Scoring goals has been a problem for a while-usually the number that the opposition stuck away!

I appreciate that this has probably been picked over with a magnifying glass while I have been residing in my cave but if Russell is as good as most of think he can be (me included) why wasn't there much competition for his signature? I know he broke his leg but he has played since that and other than the league he played in being utter dross I can't see why he was available for what we allegedly paid?

He is the right side of 25, there are no big-time Charlie stories that I am aware of, his old manager seemed gutted to be losing him- just don't see why he cost us around the same price as a meal at a motorway services. 

Scoring goals has been a problem for a while-usually the number that the opposition stuck away!

I appreciate that this has probably been picked over with a magnifying glass while I have been residing in my cave but if Russell is as good as most of think he can be (me included) why wasn't there much competition for his signature? I know he broke his leg but he has played since that and other than the league he played in being utter dross I can't see why he was available for what we allegedly paid?

He is the right side of 25, there are no big-time Charlie stories that I am aware of, his old manager seemed gutted to be losing him- just don't see why he cost us around the same price as a meal at a motorway services.

Because coming from the SPL is always a gamble... That and at that point in preseason not many teams were throwing any money around.

The only explanation is that Sam Rush is a genius.

Or took a baseball to the negotiations, and looking at him, I think he looks the type...

He'd only got a year left on his contract and wasn't going to sign a new one. That's a big part of it.

Archived