Johnny Russell

ScoDav

He'd only got a year left on his contract and wasn't going to sign a new one. That's a big part of it.

I can understand that lowering the price but I still would have thought there would a few other clubs sniffing about for the same reason- still, I can't say I am sorry we signed the lad for what looks like could turn out to be peanuts.

Roll on the season proper so we can see what the lad can do against decent oppo

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Scoring goals has been a problem for a while-usually the number that the opposition stuck away!

I appreciate that this has probably been picked over with a magnifying glass while I have been residing in my cave but if Russell is as good as most of think he can be (me included) why wasn't there much competition for his signature? I know he broke his leg but he has played since that and other than the league he played in being utter dross I can't see why he was available for what we allegedly paid?

He is the right side of 25, there are no big-time Charlie stories that I am aware of, his old manager seemed gutted to be losing him- just don't see why he cost us around the same price as a meal at a motorway services. 

We knocked back 2million bid from Celtic 12-18months ago for Johnny. What people need to understand about Johnny, is that the guy will be a loyal, hard working servant for Derby, When all the speculation about Celtic came about, Johnny kept his feet on the ground & took his time to think about what he would do next. He origanally said he wanted to move to Italy after Catania had made a bid & i think United fans thought it might be his destination. So  your Clubs done a good job in making him feel Derby was the place for him....Johnny had plenty offers on the table...he has done for the past 2 years.

I can post so many links relating to speculation of Clubs interested, Huddersfeild, Everton,Celtic to name a few

edit; We gave Celtic a 2million valuation, they never offered.

Does he have any tendency to go a bit lazy or get complacent over a season?

We've got Jamie Ward who is probably on his day one of the best and most tricky players in the Championship. Problem is his best is 10 games. Then for another 10 he's not really that interested and his game will be entirely predictable. Then he's got a spell of injuries.

I mean sometimes we give him the ball and the lad will cover 20+ yards and have opponents shaken. Then some games he'll hide for 15mins and when he gets it he just seems to run without really having the craft to achieve anything.

Good to have! Even at his worse he can still eat ground at pace and take a player out the game. But over a season he just goes through patches of good/bored/injured.

Same when we had Commons. Except he was better/bored/injured.

Sammon on the other hand is constantly plugging away. And Bryson. Does Russell ever go a bit bored? Obviously he'll hit poor form at some point but is he a guy that will work at it? Sometimes we need Ward and he's just not firing.

Russell certainly looked good to me against Bristol Rovers. He links play well, has some clever touches and looks composed in and around the box.I know the opposition was weaker than he will face but the early indications are good.

It was interesting to see Will playing the holding role, with Eustace doing the same when he came on. I expect us to create a lot iof chances this season.

You can't expect ward to rip up the opposition every single time he gets the ball.

No but sometimes he just hides away and you can forget he's there!. Or makes the easy decision to step inside and shoot from 35 yards.

No but sometimes he just hides away and you can forget he's there!. Or makes the easy decision to step inside and shoot from 35 yards.

And if instead he took on the full back and lost it.....what would the reaction be then?

I have never knowing Johnny to get bored in a game, even when he had bad games is usually through lack of service! His fitness levels are superb, he has good link up play & can score all kind of goals. There are some quality strikers in the Championship so for JR to be top scorer Derby will need to rip the division up this season...i thinkl if he bangs in 15 goals, that will be a good return in the 1st season but i`m defo not saying he cant score more, he is capable :)  

Commons is the same with Celtic....he can have a run of games & u think " this boy is quality" then he goes through a spell where he looks bored, no heart. I watched Celtic in pre season match last week, he lost the ball & stood on the same spot for over 10 secs, instead of chasing the ball down again....JR will never do that!

I doubt JR will finish top goalscorer..

We barely create anything away from home to give him a chance..

Unless he scores at least 20 goals at home he's got no chance of finishing top goalscorer..

I know you're wrong, and since I can't bring up 'chances created' I can always look through match reports and find shots on and off target - while not completely representative, they give an indication (well in my opinion they do)

Bolton - 11 w/49%

Wolves - 23 w/56%

Huddersfield - 6 w/50%

Forest - 6 w/47%

Middlesborough - 11 w/54%

Ipswich - 21 w/54%

Peterborough - 12 w/51%

Millwall - 15 w/50%

Palace - 6 w/54%

Leicester - 18 w/42%

Bristol - 18 w/55%

Burnley - 9 w/49%

Charlton - 16 w/63% 

Brighton - 7 w/59% 

Sheff Wed - 6 w/50%

Hull - 10 w/51%

Watford - 10 w/56%

Cardiff - 14 w/45%

Birmingham - 19 w/49%

Leeds - 14 w/50%

Blackburn - 21 w/56%

Barnsley - 16 w/47%

Blackpool - 18 w/47%

Which means on average 13 shots a game/created - I suspect the average for an away championship side would be closer to 8-10 and 51% possession which again, would be better than the average for an away side which I would guess is more around the 45% mark. 

:)

I know you're wrong, and since I can't bring up 'chances created' I can always look through match reports and find shots on and off target - while not completely representative, they give an indication (well in my opinion they do)

Bolton - 11 w/49%

Wolves - 23 w/56%

Huddersfield - 6 w/50%

Forest - 6 w/47%

Middlesborough - 11 w/54%

Ipswich - 21 w/54%

Peterborough - 12 w/51%

Millwall - 15 w/50%

Palace - 6 w/54%

Leicester - 18 w/42%

Bristol - 18 w/55%

Burnley - 9 w/49%

Charlton - 16 w/63% 

Brighton - 7 w/59% 

Sheff Wed - 6 w/50%

Hull - 10 w/51%

Watford - 10 w/56%

Cardiff - 14 w/45%

Birmingham - 19 w/49%

Leeds - 14 w/50%

Blackburn - 21 w/56%

Barnsley - 16 w/47%

Blackpool - 18 w/47%

Which means on average 13 shots a game/created - I suspect the average for an away championship side would be closer to 8-10 and 51% possession which again, would be better than the average for an away side which I would guess is more around the 45% mark. 

:)

Not really sure what that means..

But we scored alot of goals at home and hardly any away..

What happened? Are the away goals smaller or something? Or is it just that we're negative away from home and barely create anything..

Not really sure what that means..

But we scored alot of goals at home and hardly any away..

What happened? Are the away goals smaller or something? Or is it just that we're negative away from home and barely create anything..

No we created chances, but didn't score them. 

296 shots last season away from home and scored 22 goals - therefore scored on average a goal every 13 shots (just over) that is what isn't good enough, not that we didn't create chances IMO.

Archived