Johnny Russell

ScoDav

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Time will tell but he seems to have quite good instincts inside the box. His movement is pretty good and he seems to be able to anticipate and read the game. I think he'll compliment the other strikers we have quite well. I think a return of 10+ goals this season will be a good start for him.

On Saturday, Johnny Russell turned away from a defender and was away with the ball, a swift layoff followed and he was straight into the box. After his second goal, the Memsahib said "He's like Hector".

No pressure on the lad or anything, but the Memsahib has spoken, and she won't accept anything less. 

I don't think I have been this excited about seeing a new derby player.

I seem to say this every year BUT... We do have a chance at top 6 with an out and out goal scorer who poaches on anything.

We have been crying out for one since Howard really Hulse was great but I do think Russell could be the one.

I'm not getting ahead of myself though and will keep judgement reserved until the home game vs Blackburn on Sky. After all they are friendlies and his exploits have been in Scotland.

Lets hope he can be the catalyst for a promotion season.

Personally I think Martin and Russell could be a deadly partnership. Russell bombing forward with pace and Martin dropping off to make use of the space in front.

On Saturday, Johnny Russell turned away from a defender and was away with the ball, a swift layoff followed and he was straight into the box. After his second goal, the Memsahib said "He's like Hector".

No pressure on the lad or anything, but the Memsahib has spoken, and she won't accept anything less.

....but hector glides.....perfect balance.

You don't see that very often.

Still .....i'll be happy if he's as good as alan biley.

Difference between Russell and Sammon & Tyson tonight was confidence, particularly in his own finishing. Sammon and Tyson both wasted countless chances by dithering over the ball and taking too long to get shots away. When Russell came on I commented that I'd like to see him get a decent chance. Couple of minutes later, he gets the ball, he runs with it, he cuts back inside, goal. If that had been Sammon or Tyson then it would either have been a tame effort at the keeper, or they'd have dithered on the ball until someone got a block in.

Russell's nailed on for a starting place, probably with Martin next to him. Play Ward on the left, him and Hendrick ran Vale ragged in the last 15 minutes.

It's not just confidence, it was movement. I've not seen us have a striker that is constantly moving like he does. He ghosts, then darts, from on centre back to the other. Constantly creating confusion over who is meant to be looking after him.

It's not just confidence, it was movement. I've not seen us have a striker that is constantly moving like he does. He ghosts, then darts, from on centre back to the other. Constantly creating confusion over who is meant to be looking after him.

True. 

A proper striker. Been a while. 

Constantly played on the shoulder of the last defender as well.

So now more fans have seen him play, even if it was only for 20 minutes or so, what do you think?

He can do it for us can't he?!

Difference between Russell and Sammon & Tyson tonight was confidence, particularly in his own finishing. Sammon and Tyson both wasted countless chances by dithering over the ball and taking too long to get shots away. When Russell came on I commented that I'd like to see him get a decent chance. Couple of minutes later, he gets the ball, he runs with it, he cuts back inside, goal. If that had been Sammon or Tyson then it would either have been a tame effort at the keeper, or they'd have dithered on the ball until someone got a block in.

Russell's nailed on for a starting place, probably with Martin next to him. Play Ward on the left, him and Hendrick ran Vale ragged in the last 15 minutes.

Lets not get silly here.He's popped in a few goals in friendlies, thats all. Nowt to get excited about.......but, but.....from what little I saw of him tonight suggests that he has that natural instinct of a goal poacher. Not had one for a few years so, who knows?

Lets not get silly here.He's popped in a few goals in friendlies, thats all. Nowt to get excited about.......but, but.....from what little I saw of him tonight suggests that he has that natural instinct of a goal poacher. Not had one for a few years so, who knows?

So restrained... I can tell.

Still don't get what this problem is with British strikers and movement, often it's as simple as taking one step away from a defender and/or taking a gamble. Seems to be beyond most of them anyway.

Nice to see that Russell has worked it out though seemingly. In England, if you know how to move about a bit, you're over half way to being a decent striker.

Positive signs though!

Archived