Frank Fielding

DcFc Dyycheee

Frank in my opinion has changed since he arrived. He stopped being excellent at coming for and catching crosses. His kicking went someway off what we saw when he came on loan too. His confidence seems not at top level.

I'd not necessarily disagree with you overall, and I certainly wouldn't say I've seen a keeper improve over his time with us but come on, Frank Fielding was never 'excellent' at coming for/catching crosses - if he was he'd have made the breakthrough at Blackburn, and not needed to come here in the first place.

His confidence does seem to have wandered off, but then so it would be for any player who's lost his place in a team he thought he was going to be a mainstay for, who's career hasn't exactly gone the way early promise had suggested.

It's a little hard to judge though because since he's been out of the team he's hardly made any media appearances - we used to see a lot of him on a more personal level, which gave us an insight into his character. If you've seen him more recently in training and he's not looked happy, then you're better placed to judge, obviously.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fielding was on fire when he arrived at Derby on loan from Blackburn. He and other keepers have gone backwards under Martin Taylor.

At Blackburn Rovers he worked for a while under former Rams goalkeeper and world class keeping coach Eric Steele before Eric went to join SAF coaching team at Man Utd. Eric just became available again. Doubt thst Nige would admit that one of his coaching team might not be all that though!

My opinion on Frankie went down after the interview with Colin Gibson where he was challenged about his form which had cost us a number of goals. His reaction was bullishly defiant and he was very unwilling to recognise the clear errors he had made.

It was embarrassing to listen to because a) Colin clearly wasn't expecting such a foolish and aggressive response and b, it made you realise we had a keeper who was unwilling to learn from his mistakes.

There is not a lot you can teach when faced with that kind of attitude.

Colin Gibson was just a trouble maker though. He saw all the club's faults and not what was trying to be done. He used to wind up players and staff with his questions. I am not surprised that Frankie reacted like this because he probably knows himself he has made mistakes and I'm sure was working to rectify them and does not need to broadcast it to everyone. He has made mistakes, he does not need to spell it out for everyone.

That's the problem these days. Players and staff need to explain everything to the media. A mistake is a mistake and that is that.

Am i the only one who remembers how poor Grant was with crosses when he was last with us? Flaps more than a humming bird

I actually rate Frankie ahead of Grant

Lee Grant has played 250 games since he last played for Derby.

How much of Lee Grant have you seen in this time before saying one is better than the other?

Am i the only one who remembers how poor Grant was with crosses when he was last with us? Flaps more than a humming bird

I actually rate Frankie ahead of Grant

Younger than Frank when he left us, wasn't he?

Got more experienced since and won Burnley's Player of the Year, would say he's improved since the last time you saw him.

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/story-19326005-detail/story.html?#axzz2WdhRtn00?1102600456&redirected=true

Seems they're in for Legzdins as a second choice if Fielding doesn't materialise. Would not be happy if we offered him on a free!

Derby goalkeeper Frank Fielding is a top transfer target for Bristol City

Wednesday, June 19, 2013The Bristol PostFollow

BRISTOL City are trying to do a deal to sign former England Under-21 goalkeeper Frank Fielding from Derby County.

In the market for two 'keepers after releasing Dean Gerken and losing first-choice Tom Heaton to Burnley at the end of last season, Robins head coach Sean O'Driscoll has made finding replacements a priority.

And after weeks of scouring the market, Fielding has emerged as the man he wants to act as first-choice in League One this season.

But the 25-year-old Blackburn Rovers academy product is under contract at Pride Park for another 12 months and City will first have to meet Derby's demands if they are to get a deal over the line.

Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.uk

myprint-247

View details

Print voucher

Coincidentally, O'Driscoll has also made an approach for another Derby goalkeeper, Adam Legzdins.

The English-born stopper, who qualifies to play international football for Latvia via his paternal grandparents, is believed to be available for transfer.

However, Fielding remains his top target and City's head coach is determined to bring him to Ashton Gate if he can. Talks are ongoing with Rams officials, but a deal has yet to be thrashed out and further progress is unlikely until O'Driscoll returns from a short holiday at the start of next week.

Fielding is desperate to move on after playing second fiddle to Legzdins for much of last season. His prospects of playing regular Championship football for the Rams received a further blow when Derby boss Nigel Clough signed Lee Grant from Burnley last month.

O'Driscoll has spoken publicly of his need to recruit two goalkeepers, one to play first-team football and the other to appear in the Under-21 Development side and sit on the bench in League One.

Fielding fits in with City's requirement for young players whose wage demands are affordable and everything now depends on a deal being struck with Derby.

Sources in the east Midlands suggest Derby may be prepared to make the Lancastrian available on a free transfer and the Bristol Post understands negotiations between the club and the player's agent are ongoing, while City await the outcome with interest.

Forced to act as back-up to former England 'keeper Paul Robinson for much of his time at Blackburn, Fielding lost his place in Derby's side to Legzdins after sustaining a groin injury in October last year. He then had to kick his heels on the substitutes' bench while Legzdins made 30 consecutive appearances. He regained his place for a while towards the end of last season, but wants regular first-team football and looks to be on his way out of Pride Park.

Capped by England at Under-19 level, Fielding subsequently made 12 appearances for Stuart Pearce's Under-21 side between 2009 and 2011, earning a call up to the full senior squad during Fabio Capello's time in charge when Ben Foster withdrew from a squad selected to play Hungary in a friendly in 2010.

Signed by Derby boss Clough for £400,000 following a successful loan spell at Pride Park in 2011, Fielding penned a three-year contract.

He has made 60 appearances for the Midlands club in two years.

That's what Burnley said when he joined them... and also what they said he'd improved on massively over the last 2 seasons...

For me stuff like coming for crosses, positioning, decision making are all things keepers learn with time... Why they tend to be better when they're 30+

Just look at Frankie's sending off against Peterborough... What cost him was the indecision... If he'd come straight out he would have got the ball, if he'd stayed back he may have conceded but wouldn't have been sent off... But he half stopped on the way out and that meant he was stuck in the wrong place...

Archived