Frank Fielding

DcFc Dyycheee

I don't think he's gone backwards... I just don't think he's improved that much... and I think the things he needs to improve on (positioning, decisions ect) are something it takes keepers much longer than 2 years to learn...

And decent keepers drop leagues for first team football all the time... It's the problem with their only being one position they can play, and one which doesn't tend to get a lot of injuries...

Well he has gone from prem back up, to championship regular, to championship rotation, to championship not required any more, and then onto a Div one club.  He was bought for 350k?, and now being sold for £200k ?

And he made his first apperance in 2007, 2 years ago ?

Decent keepers are hard to come by, so if he has improved as you say, then why is NC getting rid of him, after all it was him who said he would be our no 1 for years to come ??

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well he has gone from prem back up, to championship regular, to championship rotation, to championship not required any more, and then onto a Div one club.  He was bought for 350k?, and now being sold for £200k ?

And he made his first apperance in 2007, 2 years ago ?

Decent keepers are hard to come by, so if he has improved as you say, then why is NC getting rid of him, after all it was him who said he would be our no 1 for years to come ??

He's "getting rid" because he thinks we've got a better keeper in Grant. Or at least a more experienced goalkeeper.

I can't see why we have to look for faults with Frank or in NC's judgement. Frank did well for us in the time he was here and is a really popular lad but things change.

Grant is here to be our number one. Frank wants to be a number one, he's got no choice but to move on.

Only 24 teams in the championship, likely most of them have number ones or at least someone he'd have to dislodge. At Bristol there's none of that to contend with. He will play.

If he does well and gets promoted we'll likely have a clause. If he does well and he's sold, we'll likely have a clause.

I hope he goes there and does really well. In my opinion he's too good for league one.

Right so

1) I said I didn't think he'd improved... However he hasn't gone backwards... The issue is as a team we've gone forwards and he hasn't... therefore we need a better keeper... comprende?

2) However long he's been at the club is irrellevant... It's a very very very rare keeper who is better at 25 than he is at 30... But I haven't seen many keepers who are significantly better at 25 than 21/22...

3) I'm sure NC said that because he assumed Frankie would improve...

Why is everyone getting so aggressive about this? I think we all agree that Frankie is a decent enough keeper, will make a decent first choice stopper at some team either top level Lge1 or bottom level Champs, and that we've signed a keeper who is better... Now why are people still arguing!?!?!?!?

Correct me if I'm wrong as history was never my greatest subject but wasn't he 4th choice at Blackburn and spent most of the time out on loan at League 1 clubs, came to Derby did well and signed for us. He was número uno until he picked up an injury at which point Legzdins came in and also did well.

When Fielding returned from injury Legzdins was showing he also can hold down the number 1 shirt, what message would it have sent out had he dropped Legzdins? Fielding finally got another chance and after a couple of games was sent off.

Now both keepers having played a number of Championship games will want to be number 1, Fielding said when he signed he's at the stage of his career where he needs to be playing first team football regularly and I'm guessing Legzdins will feel the same. Also both contracts are expiring and will no doubt want to know who exactly is first choice.

At some point Nigel became aware of Lee Grant being available, a keeper much more experienced than both Fielding and Legzdins and on a free, clearly Nigel thought this would improve the team and that's football isn't it? Moving players on and signing players that will improve the side.

Transfer fees is not even worth talking about, we don't know the deals that brought them both to the club nor do we know what they will be when they leave.

To say Fielding has gone backwards is harsh, maybe his form has dipped at times but he's still a more than capable Championship keeper. Why hasn't any Championship clubs came in for him? How many came in for Lee Grant?....it's daft to bring up in an attempt to back up an argument that he has gone backwards.

Like the  other players whose contracts are up in 2014 both keepers were given chance to extend , on the basis that if they chose not to they would be made available for transfer.  End of....................................

Right so

1) I said I didn't think he'd improved... However he hasn't gone backwards... The issue is as a team we've gone forwards and he hasn't... therefore we need a better keeper... comprende?

2) However long he's been at the club is irrellevant... It's a very very very rare keeper who is better at 25 than he is at 30... But I haven't seen many keepers who are significantly better at 25 than 21/22...

3) I'm sure NC said that because he assumed Frankie would improve...

Why is everyone getting so aggressive about this? I think we all agree that Frankie is a decent enough keeper, will make a decent first choice stopper at some team either top level Lge1 or bottom level Champs, and that we've signed a keeper who is better... Now why are people still arguing!?!?!?!?

"I don't think he's gone backwards... I just don't think he's improved that much" were your words, english is not my stong point, in fact Im not sure what is, but that indicates to me you said he had improved ?

I dont get the age thing, simply because if you are rubbish at 25, dont mean you are going to be good at 30, there are plently of young keepers who are holding down No1 jerseys at their club.

Im not arguing btw, just replying to your comment, I think Frank is ok, nothing more, I thought when he first came in, he wasnt much off an improvment on Bywater.  His stop stopping is good, his kicking was and is poor, and coming for crosses not great.

I just dont think he will be any better than a lower championship player at best.

He's "getting rid" because he thinks we've got a better keeper in Grant. Or at least a more experienced goalkeeper.

I can't see why we have to look for faults with Frank or in NC's judgement. Frank did well for us in the time he was here and is a really popular lad but things change.

Grant is here to be our number one. Frank wants to be a number one, he's got no choice but to move on.

Only 24 teams in the championship, likely most of them have number ones or at least someone he'd have to dislodge. At Bristol there's none of that to contend with. He will play.

If he does well and gets promoted we'll likely have a clause. If he does well and he's sold, we'll likely have a clause.

I hope he goes there and does really well. In my opinion he's too good for league one.

Who is looking for faults, Im saying he is not good enough for this level, you think he is fair enough, but IMO he is one of the players who cost us several points last season, and hence why he is being moved on.

And there are only 22 clubs who could have made a move, we are getting rid, and Burnley went for someone else, will be interesting to see if any other keepers move in the summer to, early days yet.

To say Fielding has gone backwards is harsh, maybe his form has dipped at times but he's still a more than capable Championship keeper. Why hasn't any Championship clubs came in for him? How many came in for Lee Grant?....it's daft to bring up in an attempt to back up an argument that he has gone backwards.

Two came in for Lee Grant, Burnley wanted him to stay, and Derby county.

Now you also say "Moving players on and signing players that will improve the side", totally agree, so if he is good enough at this level, why hasnt anyone come in for Frank, surely someone would see him as improving their side ?

So you dont agree that going from no 1 choice at Derby in the Championship, to no 1 choice at Bristol in a lower league is not going backwards, I do, but maybe thats just me.

"I don't think he's gone backwards... I just don't think he's improved that much" were your words, english is not my stong point, in fact Im not sure what is, but that indicates to me you said he had improved ?

The line says that I don't think he's gone backwards and IF there is any improvement then it's slight... and more importantly not as much as the rest of the side...

I dont get the age thing, simply because if you are rubbish at 25, dont mean you are going to be good at 30, there are plently of young keepers who are holding down No1 jerseys at their club.

I think you've mis-read this one... I'm not saying that he WILL be good at 30... I'm saying in general keepers tend to get better with age... and a lot of keepers (Grant included her btw) go from decent enough to good keeper from their mid 20s to early 30s

I would have liked to see Frankie get better over the last few seasons... I don't think he's improved enough (if at all)... but I don't think he's worse now than he was then...

And for me you can't judge the quality of a keeper by league position alone... Frankie and Legz were playing in a team last year who finished above Granty's team... who's better? There are a lot of decent keepers in the Champs at the moment and the way Frankie can guarentee first team football is by dropping a league... Doesn;t mean he can't cut it in this league...

Two came in for Lee Grant, Burnley wanted him to stay, and Derby county.

Now you also say "Moving players on and signing players that will improve the side", totally agree, so if he is good enough at this level, why hasnt anyone come in for Frank, surely someone would see him as improving their side ?

So you dont agree that going from no 1 choice at Derby in the Championship, to no 1 choice at Bristol in a lower league is not going backwards, I do, but maybe thats just me.

Because other Championship clubs are happy with the keepers they have or have other targets, surely that's obvious?

Burnley wanted to keep Grant and Derby were the only club to come in for him on a free transfer, why wasn't there a queue of clubs waiting to snap him up? Again because other Championship clubs are happy with the keepers they have or have other targets.

Such a poor argument to throw out there, unless there is a bidding war with numerous clubs in for a player they must not be good enough?

In terms of league of course Frank going to Bristol is a backwards step, Derby have improved by signing Grant, unfortunatly that would leave him sat on his arse and playing in the U21's. As a career move if he's guaranteed the number 1 shirt it's a step forward for him, another season under his belt playing first team football not sat on a bench twiddling thumbs.

Bristol City will be amoung the favourites to bounce straight back up, he's not joining a going nowhere League 1 side happy to tread water, a year out the Championship to keep his career on track is a great move for him. I'll be sad to see him go but totally understand his reasons for leaving.

Because other Championship clubs are happy with the keepers they have or have other targets, surely that's obvious?

Burnley wanted to keep Grant and Derby were the only club to come in for him on a free transfer, why wasn't there a queue of clubs waiting to snap him up? Again because other Championship clubs are happy with the keepers they have or have other targets.

Such a poor argument to throw out there, unless there is a bidding war with numerous clubs in for a player they must not be good enough?

In terms of league of course Frank going to Bristol is a backwards step, Derby have improved by signing Grant, unfortunatly that would leave him sat on his arse and playing in the U21's. As a career move if he's guaranteed the number 1 shirt it's a step forward for him, another season under his belt playing first team football not sat on a bench twiddling thumbs.

Bristol City will be amoung the favourites to bounce straight back up, he's not joining a going nowhere League 1 side happy to tread water, a year out the Championship to keep his career on track is a great move for him. I'll be sad to see him go but totally understand his reasons for leaving.

A bidding war ? there wasnt even any interest I dont believe ?

Poor Argument ? well Burnley,  Birmingham, and Derby make three teams that I know of that didnt want to make a move for Frank, and as you say other teams are happy with their keepers, so why did Derby move for Grant, because they think he is better ?

So you have to ask the question, why any other team doesnt think that he is a better option than they already have, I expect there wont be any other teams in our league signing any keepers then ?

You rate him fair enough, I think he has found his level, we will see in a year who's right :-)

Frank was never that good just some fans got all excited as he played a few U21 games and got called up to the England squad yet so did loach and Lewis who are not very good either. He is a low level keeper and it was just the usual fans thinking a player is a lot better than he actually ever was after a few decent games. Also it was justifying we are building a team of young cheap players who will get better.

So let me get this right, because we placed Fielding on the transfer list we have to pay him the remainder of his contract off?

It's poor wording. But it's basically trying to say they want us to cancel his contract first so they can get him for nowt. Don't think we are that desperate. So can't see us doing that. He ain't Tyson.

Archived