Frank Fielding

DcFc Dyycheee

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's what it says - Meanwhile, the relegated League One side are snapping up Derby keeper Frank Fielding.

The 25-year-old was a surprise inclusion in an England squad under Fabio Capello in August 2010 but has lost his place at Pride Park following the arrival of Lee Grant, who signed from Burnley - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2343472/Chelsea-sign-14-year-old-Jacob-Maddox-Bristol-City-year-deal.html

Be a decent signing for them. Not too disappointed to see him leave. His kicking was poor, height was an issue and staying on his line from crosses was a real concern. Top shot stopper, but that's a pre-requisite of a decent goalkeeper now, it's the other stuff which tip you over the edge.

Now on local news site too but it doesn't tell you mush:

Robins keen on signing Rams keeper Fielding
trusted-contributor-png8
Tuesday, June 18, 2013

DERBY County goalkeeper Frank Fielding is wanted by Bristol City.

Fielding has been made available for transfer this summer, along with Adam Legzdins, after Rams boss Nigel Clough recruited Lee Grant from Burnley.

City, relegated from the Championship last term, are currently without a senior stopper following the departures of Tom Heaton and Dean Gerken

http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/story-19317490-detail/story.html#axzz2WYtOja7d

Fielding was on fire when he arrived at Derby on loan from Blackburn. He and other keepers have gone backwards under Martin Taylor.

At Blackburn Rovers he worked for a while under former Rams goalkeeper and world class keeping coach Eric Steele before Eric went to join SAF coaching team at Man Utd. Eric just became available again. Doubt thst Nige would admit that one of his coaching team might not be all that though!

Fielding was on fire when he arrived at Derby on loan from Blackburn. He and other keepers have gone backwards under Martin Taylor.

At Blackburn Rovers he worked for a while under former Rams goalkeeper and world class keeping coach Eric Steele before Eric went to join SAF coaching team at Man Utd. Eric just became available again. Doubt thst Nige would admit that one of his coaching team might not be all that though!

Two or three years ago, probably 50% of people on here blamed Clough's coaching team when we lost, so I suppose nothing has changed. 

How on earth can you blame a goalkeeper coach?

For one i'm sure you have never seen a coaching session with Taylor.

I can't think of one goalkeeper that has gone 'backwards' while he's been here.

Taylor was a tremendous goalkeeper for Derby until that horrible injury at Southend, and did really well at Wycombe winning their player of the year award on more than one occasion. Why should he be a bad coach?

Well it might be stating the obvious but goalkeeping coaches do tend to coach and prepare the keepers ready for matches! Frank in my opinion has changed since he arrived. He stopped being excellent at coming for and catching crosses. His kicking went someway off what we saw when he came on loan too. His confidence seems not at top level.

As for never having seen a coaching session with Taylor....incorrect. I coach myself and have been to umpteen Rams coaching sessions as an invited observer!

Just calling it as I see it. For the record I dont go to Rams sessions anymore.

He stopped being excellent at coming for and catching crosses. His kicking went someway off what we saw when he came on loan too. His confidence seems not at top level.

He's never been any good at getting crosses OR kicking... difference since when he arrived was he doesn't come for crosses, since before he'd just come out and flap at them...

I think both of our keepers simply suffer from being young... excellent shot-stoppers but their positioning and ability to deal with the all-round game is suspect... They just need time... no doubt in 5 years time they will both be excellent keepers...

Archived