Alex Baptiste

BorneoRam

Never really imagined in a million years he was going to come to us so not too fussed, what I am concerned about now is whether he was ever one of Cloughs genuine transfer targets, if so then sincerely hope he has a back up Plan B for a player who's equally as good as Baptiste, could do without another hard luck story at the start of next season from Clough and Rush

Disappointed with this Bolton were only just ahead of us this season and we had connections with the player. Maybe the parachute money swayed it.

Still plenty of time for us to move onto next targets. We need to strengthen the defence as we let in to many last year. 

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never really imagined in a million years he was going to come to us so not too fussed, what I am concerned about now is whether he was ever one of Cloughs genuine transfer targets, if so then sincerely hope he has a back up Plan B for a player who's equally as good as Baptiste, could do without another hard luck story at the start of next season from Clough and Rush

Clough?plan B? Ahahahahahaha

Clough?plan B? Ahahahahahaha

He's on record as saying there's a list of players we're interested in for each position.

He's on record as saying there's a list of players we're interested in for each position.

There's no point in quoting facts. They aren't interested. Just say the same thing on every thread, every day in the hope that people will submit to your will.

It's a little sad that we are struggling to compete with the top half of the Championship for wages.

In most cases, that means we are only going to pick up those players who are not wanted elsewhere at this level. I don't believe for a minute that many players would sign due to non-contractual reasons, such as great training facilities, etc.

Seems the experienced players originally promised aren't necessarily going to be as good as first hoped...

Plenty of time yet, I guess. However, the buzz of being linked with players such as Baptiste is waning a little...

It's a little sad that we are struggling to compete with the top half of the Championship for wages.

In most cases, that means we are only going to pick up those players who are not wanted elsewhere at this level. I don't believe for a minute that many players would sign due to non-contractual reasons, such as great training facilities, etc.

Seems the experienced players originally promised aren't necessarily going to be as good as first hoped...

Plenty of time yet, I guess. However, the buzz of being linked with players such as Baptiste is waning a little...

Clough can't compete with the top team's for wages. Its not his fault, he's just not got the same transfer budget as let's say Bolton who are willing to pay over 10k a week because of their parachute payments. Nothing Clough could of done here.

There's no point in quoting facts. They aren't interested. Just say the same thing on every thread, every day in the hope that people will submit to your will.

facts I'm not interested in? I love facts and as I put in my last post^. It was sarcasm infering the "no plan B" formation crisis, I love Clough and what he's done for the club.

Clough can't compete with the top team's for wages. Its not his fault, he's just not got the same transfer budget as let's say Bolton who are willing to pay over 10k a week because of their parachute payments. Nothing Clough could of done here.

I'm not inferring it's Clough's fault at all.  I have to say I still feel as though I can't judge properly, as he is having to work to a far tighter budget than any managers I remember from the past.  Therefore, he can only deliver with the resources available to him.

That said, sometimes I find him great, other times his approach infuriates me...

I'm not inferring it's Clough's fault at all.  I have to say I still feel as though I can't judge properly, as he is having to work to a far tighter budget than any managers I remember from the past.  Therefore, he can only deliver with the resources available to him.

That said, sometimes I find him great, other times his approach infuriates me...

I suppose the one saving grace of this is all managers we have had in the past who haven't had to work to these guidelines hardly did well either.

It's a lazy assumption to make that 'we' went public.

To paraphrase Nigel Clough:

Reporter: "There's this myth that we're leaking out players names into the public domain, but it's important to let people know that there are players we are interested in, but they're not the only ones, there's just names that haven't come out"

Clough: "We don't leak players. If a name gets leaked out we get asked, and if we get asked then we have to respond to it. Our ideal scenario is just to sign the player and then announce it ...  "

Reporter: Would you like to do that at some point, surprise everybody?

Clough: "We were close to it with Lee Grant but that got out just a few days before ... one day we'll catch everybody but there's so many components in a deal now, agents and everything, there's usually somebody that leaks it somewhere"

Now, you could say that we don't have to respond, but then people would get antsy about a lack of noise from the club.

Archived