Alex Baptiste

BorneoRam

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We are being prepared for missing out on Baptiste in the DET. Sounds like they have all but given up already

Rams facing a battle for Blackpool defender Baptiste

"http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/images/thisis/components/icons/trusted-contributor-png8" alt="trusted-contributor-png8">

Friday, May 10, 2013"http://i.thelocalpeople.co.uk/profile_images/small/07" alt="07">

pgreen_DTFollow

By Steve Nicholson

DERBY County admit they are facing stiff competition in the transfer chase for Alex Baptiste

The 27-year-old defender is out of contract at Blackpool this summer and could leave on a free.

This has alerted a whole host of clubs, including Derby, who have spoken to the player’s representative.

“We are interested, along with I would think three quarters of the Championship and maybe one or two clubs in the Premier League,” said Rams manager Nigel Clough.

Derby are in the market for another central defender and have not ruled out bringing one in on loan to give Mark O’Brien and Shaun Barker time to recover from their knee injuries.

“There are very few good defenders out of contract at the moment and so there will be a lot of interest in him, so some stiff competition,” said Clough of Baptiste.

“He is probably the pick of the defenders available at the moment,” Clough added.

“We will wait on him but not too long because we’ll need to know reasonably quickly. If we cannot get him, we will move on.”

Derby have already added goalkeeper Lee Grant and striker Chris Martin to the squad for next season after both players agreed to moves this week.

Clough is also keen to recruit Craig Forsyth on a permanent basis.

Forsyth was used mainly as a left-back by Derby in his recent loan spell before being recalled by Watford, who are in the Championship play-offs.

“I still think we will need another centre-half as well, even if it is a loan,” said Clough.

“Mark O’Brien should be fit for the autumn time and we are happy with him once he is fit.

“Shaun Barker could be back as well around that time but we will give him as long as he needs.

“So we might even get a six-month loan in to cover us.”

Another of Derby’s targets attracting plenty of interest is striker James Vaughan, who is back at Norwich City after his loan spell with Huddersfield Town.

Vaughan has another year to run on his contract at Carrow Road and Norwich want a transfer fee for the player.

“We are interested in him but there is competition,” Clough confirmed.

“We do have other targets. Vaughan and Baptiste are not our only two targets.”

Read more: http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Rams-facing-battle-Blackpool-defender-Baptiste/story-18938192-detail/story.html#ixzz2SrkanT9z

Follow us: @DerbyshireNews on Twitter | thisisderbyshirenews on Facebook

We face competition? For a good out of contract player and a striker that scores goals?

Would never of guessed that, thought we would be the only ones after them. 

Sickening to think we're after players who other clubs might actually want isn't it?

Sickening to think we're after players who other clubs might actually want isn't it?

Always thought this was the case - can see Leicester wanting both to be honest.

I said I didn't think there was a championship side that Baptiste wouldn't get in, and so it figures that most of the championship (presumably the clubs with money) are interested. 

With the pick of the championships elite, it would be great to think he would come to us - but I doubt it, and won't hold my breathe. I think this season I'll just look at the end result, rather than worry half way through the summer.

Archived