Alex Baptiste

BorneoRam

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you serious Eddie. I thought you was a fan bOoooo

But.... but.... transfer target.... the fact that the only mention of Baptiste as a target seemed to emanate from here or a never-to-believed newspaper is neither here nor there. Pitchfork and firebrand at the ready.

But.... but.... transfer target.... the fact that the only mention of Baptiste as a target seemed to emanate from here or a never-to-believed newspaper is neither here nor there. Pitchfork and firebrand at the ready.

That's not the point! Stop making correct intelligent reasonings!! :-(

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/12691/8732566/Championship-Derby-ended-interest-in-Alex-Baptiste-after-wage-demands

Derby ended their interest in signing Alex Baptiste because of the defender's wage demands, according to Rams chief executive Sam Rush.

Baptiste is available on a free transfer when his contract at Blackpool expires next month.

Derby were interested in the 27-year-old before being put off by what Rush described as "eye-watering" salary requests, and Baptiste looks set to join Bolton instead.

"He is someone that we asked about," Rush told the Derby Telegraph.

"I spoke to his agent and with the best will in the world, the money he was asking for was eye-watering. I don't think many clubs in our division could afford him.

"There is a difference between ambition and bad management. I don't think Derby fans would have thanked me for bringing him in on that kind of money."

Just as confirmation. Once again, struggling to compete financially - although this is against a team with parachute payments. 

I don't blame anyone at the club for not being able to compete with a team with a 15-20 million head start before a ball is kicked - it's just no practical.

I think if Baptiste came here, he would of been pressured into being one of the best in the division by our fans - I think at Bolton he fits into their side of big earners (he is probably one of the mid-paid players, if we're being honest) and there isn't any pressure on him, like there would be here. 

I think all in all...

We couldn't afford him - no slight against us.

Baptiste has got himself a very good deal by the sounds of it.

and Bolton have signed themselves a very capable defender that fits within THEIR budget.

We have to be more astute - I think baptiste was always a long shot, but at least we tried something. 

I don't think Derby fans would have thanked me for bringing him in on that kind of money."

Is very presumptious of Rush to assume what Derby fans would or wouldn't like to do, speak for yourself not other folks and tell it like it is, don't hide behind other people as an excuse

Is very presumptious of Rush to assume what Derby fans would or wouldn't like to do, speak for yourself not other folks and tell it like it is, don't hide behind other people as an excuse

I wouldn't call that him speaking on our behalf. He said " I don't think Derby fans would have thanked me" not 'Derby fans wouldn't have thanked me'. He just took into account the reaction of the fans to overspending, something that was commented on a lot with Sammon. If anything, I feel that shows the opinions of those people got through to him and he is acting with that in mind.

"I spoke to his agent and with the best will in the world, the money he was asking for was eye-watering. I don't think many clubs in our division could afford him."

That's his excuse, he was outside of our budget. Nothing to do with hiding behind the fans.

Not fussed about the player if he's on silly money, just don't like what it sounds as hiding behind other people for the reason not to sign the player - he was too expensive for our wage structure would have been more than adequate a statement, end of. Instead we get other Championship clubs wouldnt be able to afford him either, fans wouldnt have thanked me etc. 

Rush probably thought, as it seems he has the benefit of knowing his agent, that we were in a good position to sign him. So when it gets leaked and he is asked about it he can either say; no and if we sign him people use that to say what he says can't be trusted or yes and people say he weakens our position to negotiate/alerts others to our plans.

I'd rather not know and have a stronger position to negotiate in the market but lots of people seem to see the fact he doesn't tell us everything and has to avoid probing questions by repeating himself as a bad thing.

He is damned if he does and damned if he don't

For god's sake, you will never make it through the summer.

Why even mention to the media that we were interested in him in the first place. Chances of landing him were always very remote.

Vaughan will probably go the same way ala Hooper, Lynch, Burke & many more.

The story got out because the club were asked and confirmed they were interested.

If they denied every player name that came up, they'd be slated for not communicating with the fans.

I ask you honestly to step back and ask in all fairness what the club should do.

Not fussed about the player if he's on silly money, just don't like what it sounds as hiding behind other people for the reason not to sign the player - he was too expensive for our wage structure would have been more than adequate a statement, end of. Instead we get other Championship clubs wouldnt be able to afford him either, fans wouldnt have thanked me etc. 

Splitting hairs.

Rush told us he was too expensive. Precisely which form of words he used matters why?

Archived