Management of injuries...

TroyDyer

I see Jamie Ward has pulled out of the NI squad, after feeling his hamstring against Leicester.

Does anyone else feel that the management of injuries at Derby is quite frightening. Players seem to be patched up, and thrown out to play, before their injuries are fully healed. 

I think that is a massive risk, and very short sighted given that the players will end up being out even longer. 

Clough said because of Hughes age, he couldn't just send him out there to play through it. But surely they shouldn't be doing that with any of the lads?

Might explain why we have had an almost constant 'injury crisis' over the years. 

Just my thoughts of course. 

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see Jamie Ward has pulled out of the NI squad, after feeling his hamstring against Leicester.

Does anyone else feel that the management of injuries at Derby is quite frightening. Players seem to be patched up, and thrown out to play, before their injuries are fully healed. 

I think that is a massive risk, and very short sighted given that the players will end up being out even longer. 

Clough said because of Hughes age, he couldn't just send him out there to play through it. But surely they shouldn't be doing that with any of the lads?

Might explain why we have had an almost constant 'injury crisis' over the years. 

Just my thoughts of course. 

It was a reasonable risk and the player was obviously OK with it. We needed to win that game and it was followed by a two week break to recover. Footballers, cricketers, rugby players etc. etc. are frequently playing with some sort of injury, it is the nature of the business that they are very well paid for. I don't see any issue with the way that injuries are managed at Derby.

Up until the last couple of months, we'd been doing pretty well regarding injuries (certainly compared to previous seasons) and like people have said, with our next game two weeks away and us needing that win against an out-of-form Leicester, it was a good management call. Of course, Nigel has made bad calls but the good calls are rarely talked about..suppose you're only as good as the last mistake with alot of folk.

I'm sure Ward was back in the squad before he was 100% recovered from injury. But its not just that. I dont know if we have a strength and conditioning coach at the club but alot of the time footballers who pull thier hamstrings because thier quads are much stronger and the balance is wrong. A strength and conditioning coach would be benificial at the club because problems like Wards injuries would be reduced.

Only played him for an hour, and with the next game 13 days away he probably thought that would be adequate time for Ward to play and then rest up for a week, to continue healing. The same with Bryson.

Hopefully they'll rest up, get back to fitness, and have enough to beat Bristol a week on Friday.

I wonder if Hughes will be back then...

I'm sure Ward was back in the squad before he was 100% recovered from injury. But its not just that. I dont know if we have a strength and conditioning coach at the club but alot of the time footballers who pull thier hamstrings because thier quads are much stronger and the balance is wrong. A strength and conditioning coach would be benificial at the club because problems like Wards injuries would be reduced.

so if there is a strength and conditioning coach at the club that would mean that whole argument was rendered pointless?

so if there is a strength and conditioning coach at the club that would mean that whole argument was rendered pointless?

It would mean that players arnt just ' patched up, and thrown out to play, before their injuries are fully healed.' They will be stronger and less likely to reinjure themselves if it is internal.

Blaming Clough for this is abit silly. Its the end of the season, we need our best players to play because we are trying to stay up. Ward needs to rest in the summer and then work on his hammys in pre season.

It would mean that players arnt just ' patched up, and thrown out to play, before their injuries are fully healed.' They will be stronger and less likely to reinjure themselves if it is internal.

Blaming Clough for this is abit silly. Its the end of the season, we need our best players to play because we are trying to stay up. Ward needs to rest in the summer and then work on his hammys in pre season.

...trying to stay up? We're just outside top half! The lowest we've been after the first 8 odd rounds (the table settling) has been 16th, and that was before Christmas. A lot of teams must be trying to stay up!

Needs to work abit harder then

Doesn't Jamie have a history of this kind of injury, wasn't a it a concern when we signed him? He seems to have been injured less with us than he was with Sheffield United, or are you only looking at the negative here?

...trying to stay up? We're just outside top half! The lowest we've been after the first 8 odd rounds (the table settling) has been 16th, and that was before Christmas. A lot of teams must be trying to stay up!Doesn't Jamie have a history of this kind of injury, wasn't a it a concern when we signed him? He seems to have been injured less with us than he was with Sheffield United, or are you only looking at the negative here?

ASK Clough, he said the aim is to stay up.

To be honest, the injuries haven't been half as bad since we got rid of the crocks like Davies, Commons, Green, Pearson...

It's just one of those things, we have a small squad; if a player is fit enough to kick a bag of air they'll make the squad.

You'll always have a Jamie Ward, Mark O'Brien in treatment room at some point of a season.

Archived