Chris Martin (Norwich Fan)

NorwichLad

Mason Bennett will be the saviour!

I think next season once hes finished school and hes training full time he'll progress much quicker.

If id said to you this time last year that Hughes will play almost every game this year you'd of ripped me to shreds and i wouldnt be suprised if we see Bennett do something similar

He has already finished school and is training full time

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Martin

Ward Hendrick Bennett

Hughes Bryson

White Keogh Barker Brayford

Legzdins

This team looks good on paper. Ward and Bennett can come inside and offer good width. Hendrick can still be played in an advanced roles.

However I could see this being reverted to a negative 451 and it depends on whether Martin can hold the ball up or not.

http://nowhitenoise.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/breaking-bad-508.jpeg

He is on so much money there that he can even hire the guy from breaking bad to store it in his warehouse and count it... that'll be his weekly wage, in all seriousness though he'll be on 4/5 times more than any other player here.. rack of stacks!

That post needed to start with "Breaking Bad - Spoiler Alert"

I'm not that far yet. Damn you Ambitious, Damn you.

Chris has some qualities we don't already have in the team, says Clough

CHRIS Martin's ability to hold the ball up front is something Derby County have been lacking, according to manager Nigel Clough.

Clough has brought the 24-year-old striker in on loan from Norwich City for a month following the departure of Theo Robinson to Huddersfield Town.

Martin was named among the substitutes at Watford on Saturday and made his debut in the second half.

He replaced Michael Jacobs at the break and Clough was pleased with Martin's contribution.

"He can play, the lad, and he has some qualities which we don't have in our team at the moment," said Clough.

"He is in there primarily to hold the ball up, which he did most of the time he was on.

"That is something we are lacking in our forwards at the moment, somebody to get hold of the ball and bring our midfielders into play.

"He did that quite well when he came on."

Martin played against Derby for Norwich and Crystal Palace in the past and he has scored in all his four appearances against the Rams.

"We have liked him for a couple of years," said Clough.

"He can play anywhere in a front two and wide midfield as well.

"We have only seen him for half-an-hour in training on Friday and now 45 minutes against Watford and we are pleased with what we have seen so far."

Conor Sammon started the game up front in a three with Jamie Ward and Michael Jacobs.

Sammon moved to the right of the three when Martin came on and was then replaced by Mason Bennett after 72 minutes.

Clough said the switch was tactical.

"Conor wasn't too good, so we gave Mason a go," added the manager.

Sammon has scored seven goals in 35 appearances since his move from Wigan Athletic in the summer but he is without a goal in nine matches.

[url=http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/story-18247201-detail/story.html]http://www.thisisder...tail/story.html

Looking forward to seeing him get a few games since the Norwich fan came on here. Not that stats mean owt to me but its automatic that you look at his goals and apps when you sign a striker.

Plus it's getting harder to cheer Sammon on. He's hurting my eyes to watch him. I really feel sorry for him now but the guy just runs around the pitch getting beat by various defenders. A break would suit nicely.

From what I've seen of Martin though will upset a lot of Derby fans. Same with Hulse, he doesn't really run and fetch stuff. It's either played into him or its not. I know Derby like runners but personally I don't mind somebody who's decent at football and won't chase shadows. Players like Theo etc have to chase shadows because their ability alone isn't enough. Hard work is even more essential to those with less talent.

"He can play anywhere in a front two and wide midfield as well"

Sorry but have to chirp in here. In the six years and 117 Norwich appearances that have followed since Martin made his Norwich debut I don't think he has once played out wide. He didn't play there once for Crystal Palace or Swindon either. In fact the vast majority of his games for us have come in the 2009/10 and 2010/11 season when we didn't even play with any wingers, we played a diamond formation, and I doubt that Martin even got a game on the right side of the diamond - he played up front for the whole two years.

So the only time that he could potentially have played out wide is for Luton in League Two in 2008 when he was 18 or 19. Even that I highly doubt because I was tracking Luton that year because they had three other former Norwich players in their team, and two of them happened to be wingers.

I can only hope that you Clough doesn't actually believe that he can play as a winger, because that would likely be a catastrophe.

Although I can also remember Nigel Clough signing Lee Croft and waxing lyrical about his crossing ability.....

...... Norwich fans were somewhat bemused by this, as we'd just spent a year watching him do pretty much everything but cross the ball, and in every home game that season I'd hear people say "if only Croft could cross".

Without meaning to insult or offend anybody here, do any Derby fans ever get the impression that Clough doesn't really know what he is doing?

Sorry but have to chirp in here. In the six years and 117 Norwich appearances that have followed since Martin made his Norwich debut I don't think he has once played out wide. He didn't play there once for Crystal Palace or Swindon either. In fact the vast majority of his games for us have come in the 2009/10 and 2010/11 season when we didn't even play with any wingers, we played a diamond formation, and I doubt that Martin even got a game on the right side of the diamond - he played up front for the whole two years.

So the only time that he could potentially have played out wide is for Luton in League Two in 2008 when he was 18 or 19. Even that I highly doubt because I was tracking Luton that year because they had three other former Norwich players in their team, and two of them happened to be wingers.

I can only hope that you Clough doesn't actually believe that he can play as a winger, because that would likely be a catastrophe.

Although I can also remember Nigel Clough signing Lee Croft and waxing lyrical about his crossing ability.....

...... Norwich fans were somewhat bemused by this, as we'd just spent a year watching him do pretty much everything but cross the ball, and in every home game that season I'd hear people say "if only Croft could cross".

Without meaning to insult or offend anybody here, do any Derby fans ever get the impression that Clough doesn't really know what he is doing?

He seems to think it is a good idea to pick your 11 best players and then find them a position rather than deciding on a formation and then putting players in their natural position.

We have seen a left back play as a striker, midfielders at full back and 4 centre midfielders.

I wouldn't go as far as to say he doesn't know what he is doing but he has some very strange ideas and refuses to admit when they don't work, often persevering with his ideas.

Wasn't Lee your player of the season that year?

I remember that was one of the reasons why everyone thought we'd signed a good player.

How wrong could you be?

A glowing testinonial hope you are singing from the correct hymn sheet Mr Canary. From what Nigel Clough says he may be preferred to Sammon against Palace -certainly hope so. Our track record for month loans is to sit them on the bench for a month bringing them on with 5 minutes left when we are losing (as a sub for another striker), so that at the end of it we don't have a clue how good they are.

A glowing testinonial hope you are singing from the correct hymn sheet Mr Canary. From what Nigel Clough says he may be preferred to Sammon against Palace -certainly hope so. Our track record for month loans is to sit them on the bench for a month bringing them on with 5 minutes left when we are losing (as a sub for another striker), so that at the end of it we don't have a clue how good they are.

That's because they usually come in to plug gaps due to injury.

Martin

Ward Hendrick Bennett

Hughes Bryson

White Keogh Barker Brayford

Legzdins

This team looks good on paper. Ward and Bennett can come inside and offer good width. Hendrick can still be played in an advanced roles.

However I could see this being reverted to a negative 451 and it depends on whether Martin can hold the ball up or not.

Think if we were to have them players it would be more like:

-------------------Legzdins---------------------

Brayford ----- Keogh------Barker-----White

---------------Hughes------Hendrick----------

---Ward--------------Bryson----------Martin---

---------------------Sammon---------------------

Think if we were to have them players it would be more like:

-------------------Legzdins---------------------

Brayford ----- Keogh------Barker-----White

---------------Hughes------Hendrick----------

---Ward--------------Bryson----------Martin---

---------------------Sammon---------------------

Wrong. It would deffo be like this.

Legzdins

Brayford-Barker-Keogh-White

Coutts-Hughes-Hendrick-Bryson

Ward-Sammon

If Sammon's not there to hold the ball up then perhaps he shouldn't be in the side at all as he doesn't threaten the goal nearly enough currently, maybe he'd do better playing off of someone and having the ball knocked on for him to run onto, he is quick after all. Might as well try him in a different role to the one he does now if we're going to play him at all, the current one's not much use.

And atleast Nigel acknowledges that holding on to the ball has been a problem though, that needs fixing pronto.

Friday:

Legzdins

Brayford Keogh Buxton Roberts

Coutts Hendrick Bryson Ward

Martin Sammon

I'd be looking to bring Franky back, and I'd be looking at dropping Coutts for a short spell if he doesn't pick up with his buddy back at RB. First sub is Mason Bennett.

Archived