Chris Martin (Norwich Fan)

NorwichLad

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wasn't Lee your player of the season that year?

I remember that was one of the reasons why everyone thought we'd signed a good player.

How wrong could you be?

A better question would be "how **** could we be?".

He won player of the year in our first relegation to the third tier since the 1960's, in a season where we had 15 loans. He won it by default on the basis of being the only player to play enough games, most of our squad that year were two years past retirement age or are now playing in League Two.

I think what swung it was the fact that he was the only player to break a sweat in the last ten games, although being a few stone overweight might have had something to do with that.

Being the best player in the worst Norwich team in the lifetime of any Norwich fan under 50 probably isn't a mark of quality, in fairness 'http://www.dcfcfans.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

Although he seems to be having fun at Oldham, all players find their level eventually.

• 3 weeks later...

Noticed he banged one in for you at the weekend, although only 1 in 5, how is he doing for you in general? Is he playing up top or as a second striker? 

Is he showing enough to potentially get a deal at Derby in the summer? He's out of contract at the end of the season!

I think the considered response is that he's doing well - not the hitman we need, but general hold-up play and movement is good.

If he's out of contract in the summer then I expect we'll offer him something as he is a useful option. Depends if he accepts our paltry wages I guess!

Noticed he banged one in for you at the weekend, although only 1 in 5, how is he doing for you in general? Is he playing up top or as a second striker? 

Is he showing enough to potentially get a deal at Derby in the summer? He's out of contract at the end of the season!

He's been fantastic, improved us up front anyway!

He starts as a forward, but when we took a 2-0 lead against Leicester he dropped in behind the striker.

He scored a perfectly good goal against Cardiff but it got called offside. (It wasn't) 

Hope we sign him, still not "match fit" apparently. 

I do feel he'll be better with a quick striker off him, maybe Simeon Jackson  ;)

We're not exactly spoiled for choice when it comes to decent strikers so he's standing out a little for us. It's quite refreshing watching a striker that is good with the ball at their feet. 

Good player with the look of it, if he is available in the summer for nowt then I'd be happy with him.

I do feel he'll be better with a quick striker off him, maybe Simeon Jackson  ;)

Well as it happens it looks like Simeon Jackson is surplus to requirements and he is also out of contract in the summer.

But, and I say this with the greatest of respect, I suspect he'd be getting decent offers from teams who look likely to be challenging at the very top of the Championship (such as a relegated team) and probably won't be short of offers from abroad.

Wouldn't surprise me to see him go to one of the bigger MLS clubs because he wants to set up a football academy in Canada.

Jackson would be a brilliant signing for any Championship team, 20 to 25 goal striker in that league easy, but I should imagine he'll be getting himself £15k a week somewhere (I get the impression that you are a tad skint). 

Chris Martin though..... I'm sure he'd be affordable to Derby. It is rumoured that he is actually on quite big money at Norwich, but it isn't about what he is on now... it is about what he can realistically get in the summer. 

Hasn't really had many chances to speak of, but when he's had them he seems to take them

Despite his poor record he has always been a very good finisher, and can score with his head too. Despite being a deep lying forward (as you have noted), I'm sure he has 12+ goals a season in him at Championship level if alongside an out and out goalscorer and playing regularly. He got 17 in League One alongside Holt who grabbed 25 I think, had a great little partnership going on. 

Despite his poor record he has always been a very good finisher, and can score with his head too.

You're not wrong. Did you see the goal he scored for us on TV at the weekend? Unmarked in the box – the cross came in and he, casual as you like, headed it so perfectly and effortlessly into the far corner that Schmeichel didn't even bother trying to save it.

A lot of players would have tried to power it in for the cameras (with Schmeichel bringing off a lovely save), but he had real composure there

You're not wrong. Did you see the goal he scored for us on TV at the weekend? Unmarked in the box – the cross came in and he, casual as you like, headed it so perfectly and effortlessly into the far corner that Schmeichel didn't even bother trying to save it.

A lot of players would have tried to power it in for the cameras (with Schmeichel bringing off a lovely save), but he had real composure there

Didn't see it, no, but he is definitely a natural finisher, seen plenty like it. 

The problem with strikers is that they are ALWAYS judged externally (other fans basically) by the number of goals they score (you lot did it with Martin, in fact). 

But appearances v goals scored don't take into consideration a multitude of other factors that can make a striker valuable, and for that reason I always like to call Martin a 'second striker' or 'deep lying forward'. 

There are those strikers who do absolutely NOTHING all game, but score when the ball lands at their feet - we had one of those in Leroy Lita, and at Champs level Earnshaw was one of those too (you didn't even see that in the Prem though hey? lol), that's probably the type of player that would be perfect alongside Martin as it happens.

But there is a lot to be said for a striker who can retain possession, hold the ball up, and play a through ball. All of those things win matches too. He draws the foul a fair bit too, probably learnt that from old Grant Holt (in fact, didn't he win you a penalty?). 

Plus he's take a mean free kick from just outside of the box, has he had any of those yet? I just think that he's a classy little player and a steal on a freebie for a mid-table team like yourselves (again, no disrespect intended, there have been times in not so distance history that you have been far better than us, but you are hardly at the top of your cycle right now!). 

Well as it happens it looks like Simeon Jackson is surplus to requirements and he is also out of contract in the summer.

But, and I say this with the greatest of respect, I suspect he'd be getting decent offers from teams who look likely to be challenging at the very top of the Championship (such as a relegated team) and probably won't be short of offers from abroad.

Wouldn't surprise me to see him go to one of the bigger MLS clubs because he wants to set up a football academy in Canada.

Jackson would be a brilliant signing for any Championship team, 20 to 25 goal striker in that league easy, but I should imagine he'll be getting himself £15k a week somewhere (I get the impression that you are a tad skint). 

Chris Martin though..... I'm sure he'd be affordable to Derby. It is rumoured that he is actually on quite big money at Norwich, but it isn't about what he is on now... it is about what he can realistically get in the summer. 

Derby have had a very strange season... we have been the better team in at least two thirds of the games we have played (including both games against table topping Cardiff) yet not won nearly enough games.  So a striker like Jackson who can score goals at C'ship level may well make us a team challenging at the top. Need to sort out our defensive play at corners and free kicks tho too. The Championship is such a funny league too, no margins for error.

Relegated teams havent always done that well recently .. look at Wolves.  

What about James Vaughan? He will probably move on in the summer, although think Huddersfield fans want him there.

Elliott Ward is out of contract in the summer too, need any centre backs? 

May as well try and find other Norwich players employment whilst I'm at it  :D

Lee Camp came on and did well for us on Sunday, thought you lot said he was crap? 

I like Martin, hope we keep him and sign him.next season. Suits our play and would work well with other players around him. I like that he is positive and looks to attack, keeps the ball well and not scared of having a pop at goal.

Despite his record i think he could score goals at this level if given a good run in the side up front.

What about James Vaughan? He will probably move on in the summer, although think Huddersfield fans want him there.

Lee Camp came on and did well for us on Sunday, thought you lot said he was crap? 

Nah, he's a good keeper, just a lot of bitter Derby fans don't like him because he was a Derby fan who went to Forest.

Nah, he's a good keeper, just a lot of bitter Derby fans don't like him because he was a Derby fan who went to Forest.

No.......he's craap.

Camp is OK, he will do a job as a no2 or 3 in the prem no bother - as mentioned he burnt a lot of bridges at Derby. I saw the villa game - ref had it in for you lot - you were the better team by a mile - always liked Norwich and watch them a lot now they are in the prem (and therefore on TV over here), my Grandad was a big fan and I actually went to my first match at Carrow road as part of his (ultimately unsuccessful) brainwashing scheme. Spent many a summer on the broads over there :ph34r: as well as shopping at Roys of Wroxham - as I got older though it did feel more and more like a retirement village, no motorways and the average age had to be over 60 in most places.

Camp isn't a bad keeper, but he's massively arrogant and it appears he gets it from his Dad, who famously rang up Radio Derby and had a rant about his son not being picked for the first team!

For saying he claimed to be a Derby fan, his behaviour in  a Forest shirt was far from dignified, and hence he is not the most popular round these parts any more.

He's embarrassed himself in a couple of play-offs now too :)

Archived