Chris Martin (Norwich Fan)

NorwichLad

Nah, he's a good keeper, just a lot of bitter Derby fans don't like him because he was a Derby fan who went to Forest.

Thing is with Camp he can have one great season and then be absolutely cack. Thats why Derby let him go , and also why Forest let him go too. And yes it doesnt help that hes a mardy cnut who says hes a Derby fan and then kisses the Forest shirt when he saves a pen against us.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Noticed he banged one in for you at the weekend, although only 1 in 5, how is he doing for you in general? Is he playing up top or as a second striker? 

Is he showing enough to potentially get a deal at Derby in the summer? He's out of contract at the end of the season!

His touch is the best we have seen at Derby County for a striker in a very long time. 

I have watched all 5 games he played in:

He should have 3 goals

1 a disallowed goal vs Cardiff that was 100% onside.

A block vs Birmingham that was going into the far corner

And obviously the actual goal vs Leicester (he could have had another actually from a Jamie Ward cross on the half volley)

He would be a great signing for us.

Only downsides that you are probably already aware of. He is not quick, he doesn't hassle the centre backs when they are comfortable in possession and he gets tired very quickly. However his positional awareness is very good and makes up for his lack of mobility with great off the ball movement at the right time. He also never loses possession whether the ball is played to his feet or chest. His fitness will improve too. 

From what i've seen Martin would be a very good permanent signing, Norwich have the option to extend tho, hopefully they won't.

I don't think we will, he's 24 now and he's been around since popping onto the scene at 18.

At 18 he came from the youth team to the first team and formed a partnership with Darren Huckerby which saved us from near certain relegation, Alex Ferguson was sniffing round and we gave him a (rumoured) bumper contract.

He then got into a bit of bother (which you probably know about), and is said to have developed a bit of an attitude, so got banished out on loan to Luton where he grew up a lot.

Made amends big time in League One, did a job for us in the Championship, but this is a step too far for him - especially at 24.

If he was 22 then we'd probably hang on to him, but he just needs to be playing if he is going to fulfill his obvious potential, hasn't had a full season of football for almost three years. 

I think he could absolutely smash the Championship if he goes somewhere on a permanent and plays week in week out. If we were in your league he'd be starting for us, no doubt (and he was starting when we were in your league, we got promoted). 

But we will probably go and spend £8m to £10m on a striker this summer, we are debt free and the Sky money goes up to £60m, he isn't going to get a sniff here now.... 

There would have been a chance that Hughton would have persevered with him as an attacking midfielder perhaps, but we have Jacob Butterfield who is being primed for that Hoolahan role I think.... two years younger and doing well out on loan. 

But we will probably go and spend £8m to £10m on a striker this summer, we are debt free and the Sky money goes up to £60m, he isn't going to get a sniff here now.... 

Gary Hooper  ;)

He would be a fantastic signing for you if Hooper doesn't sign a new contract at Celtic. 

We refused to fork out an extra 300k maximum to buy Hooper from Ssausagehorpe. In fairness little did we know he would be that good.

Anyway Martin seems like a decent guy in his interviews. He seems to be under the impression he is the one that needs to perform for us to offer him a deal at the end of the season. When really most fans would be desperate and welcome his calming influence in attacking positions. He looks like he has grown out of any previous attitude problems yet still has the mental willingness to win, he gives other players hard times when he doesn't receive the ball, which is actually really good in my opinion because Sammon is too nice. 

Gary Hooper  ;)

He would be a fantastic signing for you if Hooper doesn't sign a new contract at Celtic. 

We refused to fork out an extra 300k maximum to buy Hooper from Ssausagehorpe. In fairness little did we know he would be that good.

Anyway Martin seems like a decent guy in his interviews. He seems to be under the impression he is the one that needs to perform for us to offer him a deal at the end of the season. When really most fans would be desperate and welcome his calming influence in attacking positions. He looks like he has grown out of any previous attitude problems yet still has the mental willingness to win, he gives other players hard times when he doesn't receive the ball, which is actually really good in my opinion because Sammon is too nice.

Were we really offering £2.1 mil for Gary Hooper?

Only downsides that you are probably already aware of. He is not quick,

This is precisely why he is leaving on a freebie and not staying at Norwich, if he had pace he'd be playing. 

Seemed to have plenty in League One, enough in the Championship, nowhere near enough in the Premier League.... 

The crap thing is that, realistically, we are likely to be in a relegation battle every year that we are in this league, and there could come a time in the not too distance future when Chris Martin is scoring goals and playing very well in the Championship.... with us in it.

But you only get a 25 man squad, and we aren't Manchester Utd, so we can't keep a squad of 40 players and loan 15 of them out.... we've got 9 players out on loan, a full squad of 25, and six of them are over 21.

So realistically, we need to trim the squad. But somebody will be getting a £1m+ player for free, and hopefully it will be you.

I know that Dougie Freedman is a big fan though, so if anybody else goes in for him it will probably be them. 

I know that Dougie Freedman is a big fan though, so if anybody else goes in for him it will probably be them. 

I think Kevin Davies might get a new contract and they have signed Davies from Barnsley I doubt Bolton will get him especially after we have had him on loan. Unless of course they offer better wages. 

Were we really offering £2.1 mil for Gary Hooper?

We had a £7m bid rejected. Think we will get him for £5m to £6m in the summer, they didn't want to sell because they were still in the CL, rumour was that they wanted £8m and we wouldn't go that high - some smart lad from our forum noticed that a private jet had been chartered from Norwich to Glasgow on deadline day (was listed as a scheduled flight), and I think it was confirmed that it was booked by the club, 

But he's only got a year left on his deal this summer, wouldn't rule out Grant Holt going in the other direction to be honest, which I have very mixed opinions about. 

I think Kevin Davies might get a new contract and they have signed Davies from Barnsley I doubt Bolton will get him especially after we have had him on loan. Unless of course they offer better wages. 

Bolton are absolutely broke anyway.... plus Freedman has to keep his job, by no means set the world alight. 

We had a £7m bid rejected. Think we will get him for £5m to £6m in the summer, they didn't want to sell because they were still in the CL, rumour was that they wanted £8m and we wouldn't go that high - some smart lad from our forum noticed that a private jet had been chartered from Norwich to Glasgow on deadline day (was listed as a scheduled flight), and I think it was confirmed that it was booked by the club,

But he's only got a year left on his deal this summer, wouldn't rule out Grant Holt going in the other direction to be honest, which I have very mixed opinions about.

......and Hooper was at Kris Commons house for a meal in a semi-serious attempt by kris to scupper any deadline day contact.

Never knew about his "problems"

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/norwich_city_striker_fined_after_fancy_dress_party_assault_1_806810

"As reported, Martin was given a caution for common assault outside a Beccles pub in 2008, and he was also banned from nearly every pub in Waveney after complaints about his behaviour."

I think he has matured now to be honest.

Never knew about his "problems"

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/norwich_city_striker_fined_after_fancy_dress_party_assault_1_806810

"As reported, Martin was given a caution for common assault outside a Beccles pub in 2008, and he was also banned from nearly every pub in Waveney after complaints about his behaviour."

The pub banning thing actually transpired to be his older brother beating somebody to a pulp, his brother got sent down I think, so I assume Martin's offence was much less serious. Perhaps somebody giving it the big un to Martin because he was well known, and his brother stepping in to do the fighting (pure speculation of course), but he is from a small town in Suffolk.... sure to get some inbred jealous idiots, especially because that town is half Norwich and half Ipswich when it comes to footy shirts. 

Then yes, there was the assault. Apparently it was Michael Spillane's (his best mates) brother in law, who was giving stick to Spillane at a party at a big mansion in Norfolk for another players birthday. Martin had enough of him and lamped him one. Not exactly Marlon King, both sound like six of one half a dozen of the other to me really.

So nothing too serious.... smacking a mouthy idiot and being in the wrong place at the wrong time (with his brother, basically). But there he did like to go out and get on the beers a little too much, and could often be seen getting lippy with coppers in Norwich (or they with him).

Haven't heard much of him being seen out on the beers since Lambert took over three and a half years ago, so I suspect that Lambert was the one who got through to him and told him he needed to wise up to make it..... young players will listen to somebody with a Champions League medal I guess.

Never heard of him causing any trouble while on loan at Luton, Palace, or Swindon, so it probably a local thing - he grew up here remember. Could probably put 2+2 together and assume that he grew up with the wrong crowd. 

I have a friend from Sheffield who said that Billy Sharp was the same at 18/19/20, but look at him now.... seen in football as a lovely guy with a good attitude, especially since losing his child and starting a charity, and he does the job on the pitch (do Derby fans hate Sheff Utd? If so, perhaps bad example).

I have a friend from Sheffield who said that Billy Sharp was the same at 18/19/20, but look at him now.... seen in football as a lovely guy with a good attitude, especially since losing his child and starting a charity, and he does the job on the pitch (do Derby fans hate Sheff Utd? If so, perhaps bad example).

You would be surprised. There aren't many derby fans that would turn down Billy Sharp even after he has been at Sheffield United and Nottingham Forest. Some say Billy Sharp likes Derby fans after the gestures we have made to him about his son and his charities even while he has been a forest player. But it could just be rumours. Look into how you will but Billy Sharp as you say must have matured into the well respected person he is today. 

Hopefully Chris Martin can start bagging like Sharp does if that is the case  :D

Archived