What happens if Nigel Clough is sacked by Derby County? (mod edited title)

ChaddesdenRam

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh and tell us why you would choose whoever you choose.

Someone with previous experience either in the Premier League Championship or League One, who has in the past proven they have been sucessful with a team in the relative short term- maybe 2 years NOT 4, and not someone who spent 10 years at a conference club that took 10 years to get promoted with a team of professionals in a semi professional league.

Someone has a pretty good tactical knowledge of the game, e.g. Choosing the formation that best suits all the players who isn't stubborn and doesn't learn from his mistakes after trying the formation about 10 times.

Someone with connections- I'm not talking Real Madrid or Barcelona, I mean hell even Paul Jewell managed to sign a player from Porto, even if he wasnt very good.

Someone who, if working to a budget, doesn't make stupid signings like Billy or Jewell or Nigel, and wastes the little money we are given by the board. So no unproven striker who costs £1 million even though he got about 2 games in the Premeir League last season

Someone who can build a good rapport with the board.

A manager that doesn't bully players who question him only a little and then get played in the reserves. MAGUIRE!!!

My Realsitic Managerial targets:

Ronnie Moore- Trammere

Walter Smith

Paulo Di Canio - if he wasnt such a hot head

Stuart Pierce- why not?

Alan Curbishley- if he was on lacquer thinner

I am so sick of hearing about "Clough criticising Cywka". Some fun facts:

1. Cywka played in the next 6 games after the Portsmouth incident

2. He was then injured for the remainder of the season

3. He was in and around the squad the following season, but with the spending he ended up on the outer of the squad

4. He ultimately left and has since hardly set the world alight

Yes, it's sad that the Polish Messi turned out to be a Polish Croft, but oh well. It wasn't some one off incident and a falling out that ended his career with us, it was the arrival of better players and his failure to carry on the form that he showed when he first arrived. It wasn't out of the blue either, he was one of the players who's form disappeared after a great start to 2010-11. But of course, it's a lot easier to simply blame Clough than actually analyse the situation. Facts are hard though, so let's just blame Clough!

Well done.....you never miss an opportunity to wade in on this subject do you.......surprised you didn't come out with all the usual shiite.

Someone with previous experience either in the Premier League Championship or League One, who has in the past proven they have been sucessful with a team in the relative short term- maybe 2 years NOT 4, and not someone who spent 10 years at a conference club that took 10 years to get promoted with a team of professionals in a semi professional league.

Someone has a pretty good tactical knowledge of the game, e.g. Choosing the formation that best suits all the players who isn't stubborn and doesn't learn from his mistakes after trying the formation about 10 times.

Someone with connections- I'm not talking Real Madrid or Barcelona, I mean hell even Paul Jewell managed to sign a player from Porto, even if he wasnt very good.

Someone who, if working to a budget, doesn't make stupid signings like Billy or Jewell or Nigel, and wastes the little money we are given by the board. So no unproven striker who costs £1 million even though he got about 2 games in the Premeir League last season

A manager that doesn't bully players who question him only a little and then get played in the reserves. MAGUIRE!!!

Ronnie Moore- Trammere

Walter Smith

Stuart Pierce- why not?

Stuart Pearce - former red dog who famously said he would never ever ever play for Derby.. (although did in a testimonial for Ted McMinn 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/huh' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':huh:' /> )

Why not Adkins? Experience in all three leagues, promoted Southampton from both L1 and CH.

Stuart Pearce - former red dog who famously said he would never ever ever play for Derby.. (although did in a testimonial for Ted McMinn 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/huh' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':huh:' /> )

Why not Adkins? Experience in all three leagues, promoted Southampton from both L1 and CH.

Going to Huddesfield

I am so sick of hearing about "Clough criticising Cywka". Some fun facts:

1. Cywka played in the next 6 games after the Portsmouth incident

2. He was then injured for the remainder of the season

3. He was in and around the squad the following season, but with the spending he ended up on the outer of the squad

4. He ultimately left and has since hardly set the world alight

Yes, it's sad that the Polish Messi turned out to be a Polish Croft, but oh well. It wasn't some one off incident and a falling out that ended his career with us, it was the arrival of better players and his failure to carry on the form that he showed when he first arrived. It wasn't out of the blue either, he was one of the players who's form disappeared after a great start to 2010-11. But of course, it's a lot easier to simply blame Clough than actually analyse the situation. Facts are hard though, so let's just blame Clough!

Tut,tut do not quote facts and most definately do not be accurate. That confuses any blind debate.

Ronnie Moore- Trammere

Walter Smith

Stuart Pierce- why not?

How many times does this have to be said, Clough didn't take "10 years to get promoted". It took him 3 and a half years to get promoted from the the 6th tier, then took Burton on a steady trip up the Conference National until they ultimately got promoted, despite playing in a league were they competed against many fully professional clubs. It was not that he took a decent club and just sat there for ten years, he built them up to the heighest point in their history slowly and steadily, and as you can see quite clearly now, he's taken a 6th tier club and build them a firm enough that they are a steady football league club. That should be the point of slow and steady building, to have a firm base instead of this boom and bust nonsense that so many people want.

How many times does this have to be said, Clough didn't take "10 years to get promoted". It took him 3 and a half years to get promoted from the the 6th tier, then took Burton on a steady trip up the Conference National until they ultimately got promoted, despite playing in a league were they competed against many fully professional clubs. It was not that he took a decent club and just sat there for ten years, he built them up to the heighest point in their history slowly and steadily, and as you can see quite clearly now, he's taken a 6th tier club and build them a firm enough that they are a steady football league club. That should be the point of slow and steady building, to have a firm base instead of this boom and bust nonsense that so many people want.

Fact check

You neglect to mention that Burton turned Pro themselves in the conference, funded by chairman Ben Robinson. They were also one of the best funded teams in that division when they got promoted.

Fact check

You neglect to mention that Burton turned Pro themselves in the conference, funded by chairman Ben Robinson. They were also one of the best funded teams in that division when they got promoted.

Fact check

A lot of Burtons funding came from taking Man United to a replay in the FA Cup as both games were televised

Well done.....you never miss an opportunity to wade in on this subject do you.......surprised you didn't come out with all the usual shiite.

He came out with the truth. You want to try it now and again.

He came out with the truth. You want to try it now and again.

Sorry? Not sure how you come to that conclusion.

I tend to deal in facts. You might have a different opinion on the merits of certain players thats all.

Sorry? Not sure how you come to that conclusion.

I tend to deal in facts. You might have a different opinion on the merits of certain players thats all.

I don't think you have quite done that today at least. I've just read that thread you just started reviewing Clough's 'progress' - it was full of thinly-disguised innuendo which was unnecessary. Oh, there were plenty of facts, but there was a whole heap of other stuff too.

Fact check

You are wrong and misleading. Burton Albion only went full-time once they were promoted to Div 2. Prior to that they were one of only 3 or 4 part-time professional clubs in that league; the remainder were full-time.

You are wrong and misleading. Burton Albion only went full-time once they were promoted to Div 2. Prior to that they were one of only 3 or 4 part-time professional clubs in that league; the remainder were full-time.

You beat me to it. A lot was made of it at the time that they were blitzing the Conference with a semi-pro squad in a division of mostly full time clubs.

How someone manages to turn this into the direct opposite is amazing.

Also completely ignoring his first promotion... 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rolleyes:' />

I don't even know who we would be able to attract, no-body with wage demands of a proven championship manager - no-one who is more experienced in top leagues.

Wish some people would open their eyes to the 'realistic options' - Anyone with a fairly good reputation will sit around waiting for a team with money to spend, or a club with a team already in place.

He didn't need the badge when he joined Derby.

I saw this widely bandied around list a while ago and it hadn't been updated since the start of 2011. Who's to say that he isn't doing the course now or hasn't enrolled for this summer?

I was asked a few years ago in an interview why I didn't have a degree in Computer Science (my educational qualifications are in other disciplines). The simple answer to that was that when I started, there was no such thing.

So does anybody know anything about the situation,also how long does he have on his contract?As I

understand it if he doesnt get his badges by then he cant manage us.

Archived