What happens if Nigel Clough is sacked by Derby County? (mod edited title)

ChaddesdenRam

Are you guys for real? ffs he's not Brian! I'm sorry but he's just not! Get a grip and stop living in a dream land!

I really would prefer it if you would refrain from telling me what I can or cannot do, our current manager annoys the bejasus out of me from time to time but I'd rather have him here than not.

And just out of interest, who exactly are you to tell people what they should or should not post ?

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He'd probably have more money, so could well do better.

He'd also get a team full of players fired up enough to beat us regularly (as he's done here), whilst we have this dream manager that we can apparently afford and suddenly all our problems disappear and we magic up a 20 a season goal scorer and his wages, and play attractive football all the time and zzzzzzzzzzzzz

How do you how Clough would do at another team? Based on what? 4 years on mid table and below performances here or 10 years at a non league side?

How do you how Clough would do at another team? Based on what? 4 years on mid table and below performances here or 10 years at a non league side?

Exactly my point duck. Who knows how he'd do with enough money to be competitive at the top of this league, based on a mediocre 4 years on a mediocre budget?

You never can tell.

I think if Clough was to get sacked we would employ someone else who has knowledge of the lower divisions - the money situation wouldn't improve and we would again look to sell to bring in a new team.

You've got t remember like fans, managers have different opinions - we'll never get a manager we are fully behind or trust because their method won't be our method..

A new manager might shake up the club in the short time, perhaps see a few players break through and a few players drop off and sold and some players I imagine will also want to leave if Clough goes like Brayford for example. I think a change in formation / slight change in tactics from a new manager will cause the same arguments and on the whole I wouldn't expect results to change.. A new manager would have the same standards as Clough, standards we are currently in or around I may point out..

We definitely have no right to be inside the top 6 no matter who our manager is, if we was sitting on a squad to the brim of highly paid players and the manager couldn't get the best out of them then fair enough - I just don't think that is our situation currently.

Obviously he hasn't just a scenario for those who think Clough should go.

A new manager has come in to the club.

What changes exactly

All the people that think Clough should go what would happen in this situation that would be so good for the club going forward?????

The club would struggle to maintain it's league position. We would be in a relegation dogfight.

All of the excellent work that Clough has done in the last fours years would go down the toilet.

And the club would really struggle to find a quality replacement with the remit of trying to improve the playing staff and position and further reducing the wage bill at the same time.

That is why Clough's position is very, very safe indeed and the board are likely looking forward to another four years with the same management.

Clough is their dog, he does as he's told and his tail keeps wagging.

I'll tell you what would happen.

* A new guy would come in, and use the excuse "it's not my squad" for every defeat we suffered.

* Said new guy would then start dismantling the squad to try to build his own.

* Due to no funds being available, this would likely take a long time - 4 years?

* If no success was realised during that transitional phase, the fans would put pressure on him to be sacked

* If he were sacked, a new guy would come in (revert to first point, and so on).

We need stability, not more transition. Clough has done well, and has built foundations (the hard part in football management in my humble opinion). He has and is making mistakes - but i think the hardest times of the transition are behind us, and think the next years with Clough from a solid foundation will be far more rewarding than another 5 year transition plan.

However, if you were to ask me the same question about the board.....

Being honest, if he did go, it would sadden me, Nige is our last remaining link

to a glorious past that i was lucky to be part of, it would be like casting aside a family member.

Nigel is one hundred percent Derby County, he really should never have accepted the job here

in the first place, but he did and now we are put in the awkward situation of maybe having to cast him aside

like an unwanted pet.

A manager with no emotional ties to this club would have been much easier to 'deal' with..

Once he's gone, he's gone for good..

Well said bro.

How many managers would have stuck with a board that gives the remit. "No money available but we want you to keep the team up and whenever a decent player comes along he'll be transferred out!"

I'll tell you what would happen.

* A new guy would come in, and use the excuse "it's not my squad" for every defeat we suffered.

* Said new guy would then start dismantling the squad to try to build his own.

* Due to no funds being available, this would likely take a long time - 4 years?

* If no success was realised during that transitional phase, the fans would put pressure on him to be sacked

* If he were sacked, a new guy would come in (revert to first point, and so on).

We need stability, not more transition. Clough has done well, and has built foundations (the hard part in football management in my humble opinion). He has and is making mistakes - but i think the hardest times of the transition are behind us, and think the next years with Clough from a solid foundation will be far more rewarding than another 5 year transition plan.

However, if you were to ask me the same question about the board.....

Scaremongering, are you seriously telling me there's not another manager on the planet we could appoint and he could turn things around?

Scaremongering, are you seriously telling me there's not another manager on the planet we could appoint and he could turn things around?

I think if we new the answer to that we would all be shouting his name. The are no gaurentees as we know from the past. Look at what happened after jim smith. Going further back Dave Mackay. Wave you wand or get your crystal ball out and tell me the answer. While you at it let me know the lotto numbers for wednesday as well.

Archived