The Big Sammon Thread

Rich3478

I'm talking about Bolton last night, Sammon very rarely got any amount of time and space, only 2 moments stick out in my memory when he actually had some room, the one i already mentioned and one very unfortunate moment where despite having a free header he misjudged the flight of the ball and missed it leading one guy behind me to exclaim "even with a free header he can't ******* win it!" Made me chuckle i'll admit.

it doesn't help whe he jumps and ducks at the same time

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did chuckle when he missed a header and the ball then bounced behind him and then Ward won the header behind him.

I admire people who play wholeheartedly, cos by the same token, I lose my rag when a player doesn't work hard.

But hardwork is a pre-requisite and if I was fit an able to play professional football, I'd love the chance and I think I'd play every game as if it's my last game and give everything, leaving no doubt I'd tried, so for me, and I'm not being harsh, just putting effort in isnt enough for me, cos I did that playing five-a-side and I dont get paid to do it and I havent got the hopes of thousands of fans to inspire me! Its just a given..

He does seem to lack aggression to me, its as if he's afraid of giving a foul away dunno if the ducking is about that.

I dunno, I think Kenny Miller went through the same thing during his last six months. Hulse had a spell of doing it too. I don't know if it's confidence? timing? motivation? I don't doubt he's physically capable of winning aerial balls with his head, and I do recall him getting a flick on, and that one he rose almost majestically, BUT, the defender didn't jump behind him, he would have won the header regardless, so I wonder if it's a bravery thing.

Oh I wish I understood football like some on here so I could all the stuff salmon brings to the team. I can see he runs around a lot but I don't think he holds the ball up, he mis controls it to much, he doesn't really win any headers especially for his size. The last person we had who played the same role as salmon was Steve Howard and he was a different level. That's not even including his goals that is just as a target man. I've never heard a forward so praised for making space for others. I best tell the youth coaches they need to stop coaching skills with the ball.

If connor sammon worked on his first touch, ball control and finishing ( like a striker is supposed to do ) he will score goals but i can't see him improving. Yes he puts the work in upfront , chancing down balls etc but hes not scoring goals. Theo and jamie ward upfront my opinion !

You got what you asked for Derby fans, regularly booing Rob Hulse for being lazy despite his good goal scoring record and all round play. Here's your work rate man, cheaper than Hulse too!

The majority will never be pleased, hence the booing last night and Saturday just gone.

You got what you asked for Derby fans, regularly booing Rob Hulse for being lazy despite his good goal scoring record and all round play. Here's your work rate man, cheaper than Hulse too!

The majority will never be pleased, hence the booing last night and Saturday just gone.

I never understood that. People didn't realise what was actually expected of Hulse. He was a central defender at setpieces, a target man for hoofball, the outlet in central midfield chesting the ball down and spreading it wide AND the goalscorer! The stick he got was shocking.

I wonder if you're right, Sammon is punishment to all those people who slated Hulse! I'm going with that theory now!

Oh I wish I understood football like some on here so I could all the stuff salmon brings to the team. I can see he runs around a lot but I don't think he holds the ball up, he mis controls it to much, he doesn't really win any headers especially for his size. The last person we had who played the same role as salmon was Steve Howard and he was a different level. That's not even including his goals that is just as a target man. I've never heard a forward so praised for making space for others. I best tell the youth coaches they need to stop coaching skills with the ball.

Would Kuqi not fit that bracket?

Kuqi was immense. Well, his impact was. Was disappointed when we signed him. But that big lump of a man just sucked the ball in and better players fed off him. As strong as a CB. As much energy as a kid. Intelligent. It almost didn't matter whether he could play a bit or not.

With Sammon I was excited. Saw him for Wigan and noticed his size and his pace. I just assumed he could play a bit. He basically just annoys defenders. Like a buzzing fly. Not really enough for me. Theo can do that. Don't need the two of them. Theo's ok as a poacher though too.

Can't believe the lack of first touch from either of them. If you're rating players every week I bet Sammon would be one of our lowest scorers. He's a 6/10 player. I can remember his good games. I remember everybody else's bad games. That can't be right?

Strangely, people involved with football on the inside seem to appreciate what Sammon brings to a team. Some who have never played the game at any meaningful level just watch a ball without the slightest inkling of what else happens on the pitch.

Who? I'm interested to know who these are, guessing you are not referring to anyone at derby.

Who? I'm interested to know who these are, guessing you are not referring to anyone at derby.

What a strange statement you make!!! He is picked each week at Derby and players who play with him have openly stated how much he does for them on the pitch. The same has happened with the Irish national team. He is slightly unorthodox but does a great job for the team.

What a strange statement you make!!! He is picked each week at Derby and players who play with him have openly stated how much he does for them on the pitch. The same has happened with the Irish national team. He is slightly unorthodox but does a great job for the team.

No strange statement, I am asking who these people are and what the quotes were, I'd be very surprised if derby players and managers didn't say he does well, so I ask again who and what did they say, I'm interested given you gave them as knowing more than us plebs :-)

No strange statement, I am asking who these people are and what the quotes were, I'd be very surprised if derby players and managers didn't say he does well, so I ask again who and what did they say, I'm interested given you gave them as knowing more than us plebs :-)

He did enough to earn an Ireland call-up (and start) so presumably he impressed their national scouting team. Wigan took him to the Prem from Scotland to have a look at him, and his teammates seem to atleast publically appreciate the work he does.

He's an average Championship workhorse, and our tactics don't help him too much. He's not awful, he's simply an average Championship player. No more, no less.

And no-one called you a pleb :-)

Who called you a pleb?? Why don't you have a nice glass of milk and go to bed. You will feel much much better and a little less insecure after a good nights sleep. Goodnight xxx

Sammon just isn't a good footballer full stop..

I remember talking to my friend's Dad who is a Reading FC season ticket holder and in his work the players often go in.. He got chatting to Marcus Hahnemann roughly around 2005 and he had to ask the question 'Why does Andy Hughes keep getting picked?' when he clearly offers nothing to the team.. It was strange because both cases are similar, Hughes was even touted for a $1.5mill move to Norwich and the fans in particular just couldn't believe it.. He evntually left for $500k which was still $500k too much

Anyway, Hahnemann started to laugh and said that Hughes is a valuable member of the team, he covers every blade of grass, works hard, closes down, chases the ball and pressures the defence.. 'So he basically just runs around then?' was the next question..

It's similar to Sammon.. He offers nothing but running.. I honestly didn't know how appreciated this ability is in football.. I don't know whether it shows the complete lack of quality in English football or whether people have just gone mad but when 'running' is praised so highly and worth over $1mill something clearly isn't right..

For me, Sammon is a bit like Darryl Powell.

He's quick, strong and does a lot of the ugly donkey work that isn't appreciated.

It's obvious that he's never going to be a fully rounded player, but his key strengths are giving defenders the run around for 90 minutes, where they become physically and mentally taxed. This gives the likes of Ward a little more space in order to take advantage.

He's a team player, unfortunately, not a sublime one to watch.

Who called you a pleb?? Why don't you have a nice glass of milk and go to bed. You will feel much much better and a little less insecure after a good nights sleep. Goodnight xxx

I never have a good nights sleep, but ok rephrased who are these people on the inside?

He did enough to earn an Ireland call-up (and start) so presumably he impressed their national scouting team. Wigan took him to the Prem from Scotland to have a look at him, and his teammates seem to atleast publically appreciate the work he does.

He's an average Championship workhorse, and our tactics don't help him too much. He's not awful, he's simply an average Championship player. No more, no less.

And no-one called you a pleb :-)

I used the word loosely :-)

Wigan took him, and got rid of him very quickly on closer inspection.

He got called up to the Irish squad indeed, but that means diddly squat, have you seen some of the players that get called up for these games, mikkel beck, Geoff Thomas all got international caps, don't mean they were any good.

He is an average champ player, but I'm still wondering other than NC and ward who has highlighted these attributes we don't see, no massive hidden agenda just interested to see what they have said that they see we don't.

Archived