The Big Sammon Thread

Rich3478

No I couldn't, we never push for a win away, defeat is almost accepted without so much as a whimper. Frustrates me, personally think we should aim higher.

I'm honestly not one of the Clough out brigade, there are several things about him as a manager though which massively grate on me. But overall his time here has been positive for me.

How can Sammon play better away from home despite not scoring all season?

Because his game isn't all about scoring goals.

It's just an opinion, but he looks more confident away from home. Thought he was excellent last Saturday at Hillsborough, and sounded like he put a decent shift in again last night.

At home, people are baying for blood - every misplaced pass is scrutinised. He probably feels the pressure.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Accepting just effort from him shows what Derby fans are accepting all over - mediocrity. If you accept this based on the clubs financials situation then I agree it's an argument I could accept but I think we should be aiming higher.

I thought any decent striker would have buried his chance last night. Ward is playing beautifully at the moment and if roles reversed he would have buried it. Ward only cost 400k.

wardy seems to rate him

“It also helps having a partner like Sammon, who doesn’t mind running - he can do all the horrible stuff for me. He does all the dirty work; he gets into battles and wins headers.

“People were saying earlier that there is a split of opinion about him, and I understand football is all about opinions, but if you are bright enough, you will realise what a great job he does for the team and how much he helps us.”

wardy seems to rate him

“It also helps having a partner like Sammon, who doesn’t mind running - he can do all the horrible stuff for me. He does all the dirty work; he gets into battles and wins headers.

“People were saying earlier that there is a split of opinion about him, and I understand football is all about opinions, but if you are bright enough, you will realise what a great job he does for the team and how much he helps us.”

This is everyone who supports Sammons argument... I think we're a better team with him in, but saying that we could easily do better - but it would be a struggle to find someone IMO.

Baring in mind, if you're looking for a goalscorer you're replacing ward, if you're looking for a supporting striker you're replacing Sammon. The best support striker i've seen, and this was a few years ago was Andy Keogh (where is he now?)

Sammon did ok today I thought, one of the few who seemed up for it and had some energy about his play. Touch was better as well. I'm not his biggest fan but surely he needs someone to play with?

We have a forward who doesn't score too many goals, must have a goalscorer with him. However poorly he plays his effort can't be faulted, I admire that in a derby player.

Sammon goes from the sublime to the ridiculous. Yesterday he turned his man brillianty on a couple of occasions to create chances for himself (and should have scored). The next minute he tries to control it and it ends up in row G.

Ain't it funny hilarious that Clough wanted to get rid of Luke "couldn't hit a barn door" Varney and bought Sammon instead?

There must be some kind of logic, but I haven't found it yet. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':P' />

Oh please, you can't be serious?

Luke Varney is the worse striker I can remember in my time as a Derby fan, he couldn't score, couldn't win a header, barely touched the ball, couldn't pass, couldn't shoot, could go games on end without even being noticed.

He was like a fan that won a radio competition to play football for a living, and leeds fans are having similar laughs at Reg now - I am a Sammon fan, but sick to the back teeth of feeling like I have to defend him, too many short sighted fans that see football in numbers.

The fact people would be willing to sacrifice Sammon, a player who works hard for the team and gives us an outlet for Theo Robinson who in all honesty is pants from outside the 6 year box, because he is more likely to score a goal is ridiclous - Ward and Theo upfront, if I was Clough I would play it for a few games - It's quite obvious in my head what would happen, but I think some people need to see why it isn't a good idea and just let Clough get on with it.

Sammon goes from the sublime to the ridiculous. Yesterday he turned his man brillianty on a couple of occasions to create chances for himself (and should have scored). The next minute he tries to control it and it ends up in row G.

I thought his control was alittle better last night

He does seem to have an interesting technique when jumping though. He sort of bends down when he jumps, often meaning that his head is lower than when he's standing on the ground. I did think his heading was terrible, then realised he rarely gets close enough to the ball to head it - it's his jumping that needs attention.

It was starting to amuse me that Jamie 'the giant' Ward was winning far more in the air that Conor Sammon was against Bolton.

Baring in mind, if you're looking for a goalscorer you're replacing ward, if you're looking for a supporting striker you're replacing Sammon. The best support striker i've seen, and this was a few years ago was Andy Keogh (where is he now?)

So two goal scoring strikers is a no go?

You got me all wrong. Don't rate Varney at all, but if reason to get rid of him was "couldn't hit a barn door", Clough hasn't really succeeded in striker markets has he?

And that's something I find very odd, reflecting to his own playing career.

Archived