The Big Sammon Thread

Rich3478

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Giovanni Trappatoni won 2 league titles, a European cup and represented his country as a player. As a manager he won 10 league titles, the only man to do so in 4 different countries, and goodness knows how many cups. He thinks Conor Sammon has the potential to be a good international centre forward and trusted his judgement enough to play him for 90 mins on Wednesday.Some of our fans think he's 'cr*p' and 'awful'. I know football is a matter of opinions but some are a bit more informed than others !

I thought he had a pretty good game yesterday, especially first half.

I would like to see him use his height to his advantage more, maybe win us a few more headers, but overall I think he's a good player. I get the feeling some people expect too much from him, like score more goals etc, and that's just not his game. This is probably because we are in need of a proven goal scorer though who is the opposite to Sammon - Will do nothing all game but he'll put the ball in the back of the ne given the chance.

Sammon's goal to chance ratio must be pretty good tbf. Can't remember him missing more than 2 or 3 "sitters" all season. He is working his bald ass off for the cause, he makes defenders work and creates gaps for our midfielders to run into......his hold up play isn't brilliant but he is usually battling 2 hairy arsed cb's on his own so its difficult to criticise him.

Even Wednesday fans like Conor Sammon, they can see his work for the team and his link up play, just a shame most Derby fans don't..

- http://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic/189895-conor-sammon/

"Sammon and Ward were the best strike partnership I've seen against us this season. Both real handfuls all afternoon. Sammon was very impressive."

"This guy gave both our CB's a torrid time today, we just couldn't knock him off the ball when he had it, we tried but the guy just kept pushing them off.

He was quite clever too (Maybe Clough's work), knew that he wouldn't really beat Llera/Gardner in the air so he stood nearer Buxton when they took a goal kick or a long free kick.

I get the impression some Derby fans don't really rate him that much, i didn't think he was amazing today but did a good job and certainly wouldn't like to face him every week."

"Ward and Sammon are a great combination and played off each other really nicely."

That's just a few on there..

I think Connor Sammon has improved vastly since his Bolton Debut.

Connor Sammon

Pros: Very good feet for his size when the ball actually makes it to the ground.

Starting to win lots more headers

Pace down the channels (should do this more mind)

Great understanding of where players will be (just his execution of the pass can be too slow)

His shot to goal ratio is quite good

Overtaken Bryson in work rate, stats dont lie. (he is the only player to have ran more than bryson)

Cons: Doesnt shoot enough

Takes ages to get the ball from the air to the ground (can hold off defenders fine, just getting the ball under 'control')

Loses some ridiculous headers that you can tell defenders think i'm not getting this but they do

Will definitely be susceptible to second season syndrome as defenders work him out.

Needs to use his strength in challenges and get all his body weight leaning in(Fans at away games I have been too really hate it when he doesn't)

He is a good championship striker, there are lots of clubs in the league that would have connor sammon over their strikers. He suits the way Clough plays and the tactics work in his favour. However he needs to be the cocky, big time charlie that other clubs hate for being too selfish and trying ridiculous shots etc. Ward has that added bite and wouldnt dream of passing to sammon if there was a shot on. Sammon on the other hand, i have never seen have a go at the other players for not giving him the ball. He needs to want it and make defenders scared of him. This is why I think Sammon works so well with Ward.

I think Connor Sammon has improved vastly since his Bolton Debut.

Connor Sammon

Pros: Very good feet for his size when the ball actually makes it to the ground.

Starting to win lots more headers

Pace down the channels (should do this more mind)

Great understanding of where players will be (just his execution of the pass can be too slow)

His shot to goal ratio is quite good

Overtaken Bryson in work rate, stats dont lie. (he is the only player to have ran more than bryson)

Cons: Doesnt shoot enough

Takes ages to get the ball from the air to the ground (can hold off defenders fine, just getting the ball under 'control')

Loses some ridiculous headers that you can tell defenders think i'm not getting this but they do

Will definitely be susceptible to second season syndrome as defenders work him out.

Needs to use his strength in challenges and get all his body weight leaning in(Fans at away games I have been too really hate it when he doesn't)

He is a good championship striker, there are lots of clubs in the league that would have connor sammon over their strikers. He suits the way Clough plays and the tactics work in his favour. However he needs to be the cocky, big time charlie that other clubs hate for being too selfish and trying ridiculous shots etc. Ward has that added bite and wouldnt dream of passing to sammon if there was a shot on. Sammon on the other hand, i have never seen have a go at the other players for not giving him the ball. He needs to want it and make defenders scared of him. This is why I think Sammon works so well with Ward.

Agree, word for word. Great post.

I can't comment on last night as I didn't go, general consensus seems to be he missed a couple of chances.

I thought he was excellent against Huddersfield after an inept display against blackburn. Although he didn't score again, not really an issue when three others do though. Saturday at Hillsborough I thought he was ok first half, second half was again poor.

Last night also had me thinking, has Sammon scored away from home yet? Correct me if I'm wrong but I can't recall any. This is poor, how you can play 15,16 games away from home without scoring and also without the slightest hint of being dropped/rested. His mobility is ok for his size, quite pacey too. But his aerial ability is woeful and the less said about his touch the better.

I generally think he is an ok player at pride park, who has the odd mare. Away from home the opposite is true. Seems to be accepted by Clough as away defeats are met with praise and encouragement by management.

I can't comment on last night as I didn't go, general consensus seems to be he missed a couple of chances.

I thought he was excellent against Huddersfield after an inept display against blackburn. Although he didn't score again, not really an issue when three others do though. Saturday at Hillsborough I thought he was ok first half, second half was again poor.

Last night also had me thinking, has Sammon scored away from home yet? Correct me if I'm wrong but I can't recall any. This is poor, how you can play 15,16 games away from home without scoring and also without the slightest hint of being dropped/rested. His mobility is ok for his size, quite pacey too. But his aerial ability is woeful and the less said about his touch the better.

I generally think he is an ok player at pride park, who has the odd mare. Away from home the opposite is true. Seems to be accepted by Clough as away defeats are met with praise and encouragement by management.

I think he plays better away from home.

No I couldn't, we never push for a win away, defeat is almost accepted without so much as a whimper. Frustrates me, personally think we should aim higher.

I'm honestly not one of the Clough out brigade, there are several things about him as a manager though which massively grate on me. But overall his time here has been positive for me.

How can Sammon play better away from home despite not scoring all season?

I did go last night and I saw Sammon win headers, miss a couple of chances, battle with two big centre halves, run tirelessly to chase balls down into channels, bring other people into the game, play well with Jamie and expend a great deal of effort for the cause. Given some we have seen at Derby I will forgive him a lot to have that in return. Awful he is not.

I don't think opposition centre halves like playing against him

I do think he starting to win more headers on the evidence of the last few games

I think his first missed chance last night was because he tried to get his shot away quickly after one touch - he has been criticised on here for wanting too many touches

When he hit the bar it was actually a superb bit of skill on his part in controlling the ball from Jamie in the first place - over his shoulder, chested down, goalkeeper coming towards him, hit the bar and bounced out - forwards get that sometimes and luck for him will change.

Hull are high in confidence, have just had an influx of new players to spice it up, are well in with a shout of promotion and/or play-offs yet there wasn't that much between the teams last night. It was a promising performance from both the team and Sammon in my view, and at times very good. Not good enough to win, yet, but with the promise of more to come and an improvement on before.

And as a PS there were 300 of us making more noise than 15,000 of them.

Archived