The Big Sammon Thread

Rich3478

Sammon should watch the last 15 mins of Kevin Davis. He won 15 headers from 16 attempts. (yes I was counting) and half the time he didn't even jump. All about body position and intelligence. Sammon has neither.

how much longer has davies been in the game than sammon though? years of prem experience...

Don't personally see all the negativity towards sammon. yeah he may not be a 20+ goal a season man but his overall play brings our midfield into the game and hence why hendrick has started to score goals. Im not saying thats totally down to sammon but its definitely a contributing factor in my opinion along with hendricks soaring confidence recently.

Sammon rushes defenders into mistakes (Like against forest) and it goes largely unnoticed! the amount of times we've won throw ins up the field from sammon/ward pressure on defences is actually very high and this then obviously leads to chances and goals! Theo may get a goal that sammon wouldnt, but theos overall play is largely ineffective, he loses confidence easily whereas sammon is fully committed.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's similar to Sammon.. He offers nothing but running.. I honestly didn't know how appreciated this ability is in football.. I don't know whether it shows the complete lack of quality in English football or whether people have just gone mad but when 'running' is praised so highly and worth over $1mill something clearly isn't right..

This is something which I've always found bemusing about English football - the obssession with runners and hard work. I'm not as big a fan of Craig Bryson as most people seem to be, simply because all I see him do is run around a lot. Phrases like 'he's got a good engine' and 'covers every blade of grass' are euphemisms for running and running and running... So what? If I was put in a Derby County shirt, I'd give every ounce of effort until I was physically sick. No-one could accuse me of not working hard. Does that mean I should play?

I remember people saying Georgi Kinkladze 'doesn't work hard enough', right after he's left 5 defenders on their arses with their legs tied together. If being a good runner is so important, let's sign Mo Farah for next season.

This is something which I've always found bemusing about English football - the obssession with runners and hard work. I'm not as big a fan of Craig Bryson as most people seem to be, simply because all I see him do is run around a lot. Phrases like 'he's got a good engine' and 'covers every blade of grass' are euphemisms for running and running and running... So what? If I was put in a Derby County shirt, I'd give every ounce of effort until I was physically sick. No-one could accuse me of not working hard. Does that mean I should play?

I remember people saying Georgi Kinkladze 'doesn't work hard enough', right after he's left 5 defenders on their arses with their legs tied together. If being a good runner is so important, let's sign Mo Farah for next season.

I blame Sir Alf Ramsay - he left out the flair players and went for graft and won the World Cup.

Its a team game, balance is the key unless you adopt a total football approach where every player is interchangeable - that's still a work-in-progress atm.....

I'm sick of reading people saying "people don't realise what Sammon does" or "anyone who understands the game sees sammons worth". Like they are enlightened to footballing knowledge the rest of us are still unaware off.

Maybe we see all his hard work, chasing defenders down, etc. I admire that in someone. However maybe we see that and think it isn't enough. Paula Radcliffe would chase defenders down all day, doesn't make her a striker though!

If someone tries their best but isn't good enough that's not their fault. Whoever is picking them is at fault.

Sammon really puts a shift in and it softens my stance towards him. Doesn't change the fact I think he's a poor championship centre forward. A vastly overpriced one as well.

I'm sick of reading people saying "people don't realise what Sammon does" or "anyone who understands the ogame sees sammons worth". Like they are enlightened to footballing knowledge the rest of us are still unaware off.

There are different levels of fandom though. Some follow the results on Sky Sports Score Centre, see that Sammon hasn't scored again and think he's terrible. And unfortunately, a large percentage of any club's fanbase is like this. Not so much the case on a forum like this though because we've all actively signed up to discuss Derby.

I think what doesn't help about Sammon for me is that he's massively over-priced. For £1.2m I expect much more than simply 'hard work' or 'being a menace to defenders'. In my opinion there are players in L1 and L2 who would do the same job as Sammon but for much cheaper. The 'target man' isn't exactly a role which is in short supply in English football, is it? That's basically all we've been producing for the past 40 years.

And for that price I'd expect him to be at least able to control a sodding football.

It seems lots of people saying how much better we were once Sammon went off.......

I think its time he started as sub and Martin and Ward to start up top together.

Sammon may need a rest but whatever it's certainly not really working out right now like we would have hoped and we need to start looking at the alternatives....

From day one he's been awful. He was described greatly to me once.

We missed out on signing him, and then, despite seeing how **** he was a Wigan, we STILL went back for him.

This is the equivilant of fancying a lass, missing out on her as she went off with your best mate. Then, after a year of seeing her abuse, cheat on, then give you best mate herpes, you STILL went after her when they broke up...

What's the BEST we thought would happen?

Archived