John Brayford

Shamblez

Knew someone would say that, think it's b*llocks personally.

There's a reason why strikers, attackers and centre halves generally go for the biggest transfer fees, cos they're the most valuable to a team.

I would offer counter points but we would be going way off topic. It's about preference.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I suspect it's all noise, unless Cardiff are going to pay through the nose for what has been said a 'unimportant position' he is one of the best right backs in the division, not a world beater but he'll play in the premiership or at least could to a fair standard.

It is rare for a player to perform so well that has still so much more to offer.

Not ignoring it, good fullbacks can be the difference between mid table and play offs.

But, if you had to rank positions in terms of significance you would put full back near the bottom.

How many Championship full backs go for £2 million? I cant think of many, if i had £2 million to spend i wouldnt spend it on Brayford.

If I had to rank positions in terms of significance I'd have to resign my role and go and find a better job. All positions are important, neglecting one is as bad as neglecting them all. One bad apple can spoil the batch and all that.

As for cost, didn't Celtic pay £1.5 mil for Danny Fox a few years back? A good player in any position is valuable to the club, and whilst strikers and attacking midfielders tend to have inflated prices, that doesn't mean we should let a key player go for peanuts. It's not about what others will pay when it comes to Brayford, it should be what he's worth to us.

I would argue that central midfielders are the real gem in any football team, and the most important part of a team - but it opens a dry good discussion for another thread at least.

Surely it depends who the team is and what system they play..

A fullback can be so valuable if the whole game plan is to have overlapping fullbacks to supply the strikers.. As you know I'm in love with passing football out from the back I'd agree with you in that case the CMs are probably the most important, but if you're playing for Stoke it's all about the CBs and Strikers height! If Stoke had Arsenals CBs and front men they wouldn't be the same team..

One player can make such a difference given it's the right area.. I personally don't think Brayford is as important to us than suggested, so that $1.5mill could be spent elsewhere to improve the team..

Surely it depends who the team is and what system they play..

A fullback can be so valuable if the whole game plan is to have overlapping fullbacks to supply the strikers.. As you know I'm in love with passing football out from the back I'd agree with you in that case the CMs are probably the most important, but if you're playing for Stoke it's all about the CBs and Strikers height! If Stoke had Arsenals CBs and front men they wouldn't be the same team..

One player can make such a difference given it's the right area.. I personally don't think Brayford is as important to us than suggested, so that $1.5mill could be spent elsewhere to improve the team..

I would be disappointed with 1.5 million but I do agree with you with good players ready to step up in the same position then we could spend that money in other areas but I just don't think we'll sell him nor do I want us to sell him and back onto the player importance I am in very much agreement with you - in terms of Derby County and certainly since Clough came in a lot of our good performances rely on the middle of the pitch, remember a year or so ago calling out James Baileys importance to the side as when he played well we seem to play well, and a lot can be said for Hendrick more recently as it seems when he is on his game we seem to be a much better side and obviously Hughes and Bryson.

Not ignoring it, good fullbacks can be the difference between mid table and play offs.

But, if you had to rank positions in terms of significance you would put full back near the bottom.

How many Championship full backs go for £2 million? I cant think of many, if i had £2 million to spend i wouldnt spend it on Brayford.

sausageer left forest for £2.5m so I want at least 5 as brayford is twice the player

They've also been linked with Tom Lees of Leeds United, who can play Right back and centre back, so this makes him Cardiff more likely to go after him apparently, as Malky Mackay likes versatility. I know Brayford can play centre back aswell but he's not comfortable there, whereas Lees is.

That's what's going round the Cardiff forum anyways. Hopefully we'll extend the contracts of all our 'key players'

As I said earlier - Brayford is Mr. Derby County and I am not saying he doesn't have a price but its different from the Shackell situation and I think it would take 3million+ and no doubt what so ever if Brayford was offered a fair contract he would sign it - unless he likes a good lie, I've heard him talk on the radio after games and the amount of spaff he must generate when he talks about the club, players and management could pregnate a small village..

I suspect it's all noise, unless Cardiff are going to pay through the nose for what has been said a 'unimportant position' he is one of the best right backs in the division, not a world beater but he'll play in the premiership or at least could to a fair standard.

He's ten times the player that Tyrone Mears is/was - and some people once considered that the self-defenestrating ex-Marseille notlobber had premier league qualities.

Didn't BC break the British transfer record on a full back? A certain David Nish.

Bris Vegas probably thought that a waste of money. Clough also paid almost 200k for Todd, an unheard-of fee at the time for a central defender too.

Mate of mine who is usually right says deals all but done. Will be gone before Brighton. Not sure if true obviously.

Surely not, I just can't see it.

It'll be interesting if it does happen, and in fairness things have been going a little too well recently, probably due a good moan.

Brayford 750k Cardiff... 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/huh' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':huh:' />

Surely not, I just can't see it.

It'll be interesting if it does happen, and in fairness things have been going a little too well recently, probably due a good moan.

Brayford 750k Cardiff... 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/huh' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':huh:' />

More then that. Nearer the 1.5m mark i've been told. Obviously, not 100%, just saying as i've been told 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Archived