John Brayford

Shamblez

Why?

Sam Rush - "I'm joining a club that is going forward, not one that has to sell its best assets."

He also said that we're not going to be 'soft touch' no more.. yet the apparent fee is £1m+..

I'm sorry but that's being 'soft touch'

He also goes on and says we're not going to be forced into selling and that we "DO NOT HAVE TO SELL"

All the things that he's said aren't going to happen, ARE. (If he leaves)

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sam Rush - "I'm joining a club that is going forward, not one that has to sell its best assets."

He also said that we're not going to be 'soft touch' no more.. yet the apparent fee is £1m+..

He also goes on and says we're not going to be forced into selling and that we "DO NOT HAVE TO SELL"

BUT if you to believe the rumours for a minute that and Brayford won't sign a new contract, we'd be stupid not to sell now before he enters his last season and value drop.

Same goes for any player that refuses to sign a new contract, the club can talk about not selling all they like but if a player wants to go he's going to go.

BUT if you to believe the rumours for a minute that and Brayford won't sign a new contract, we'd be stupid not to sell now before he enters his last season and value drop.

Same goes for any player that refuses to sign a new contract, the club can talk about not selling all they like but if a player wants to go he's going to go.

Yeah that is true, it's a different matter if the player rejects a contract etc.

We've got 20 players that are either out of contract this summer or next summer, I'm a rubbish betting man but I'd put a fiver on a couple of those not wanting to sign new contracts forcing us to sell. Not being a soft touch probably applies to current players in contract negotiations as well.

Sam rush also said we would not sell on the cheap.

not having to sell is different to not being prepared to sell at a certain price

Its like the will Hughes thing,- When asked if we could hold on to him the reply was "Absolutely we can" a bit different to "Absolutely we can and will"

Not sure how much more we can ask for him really.

If the tables were turned and we'd signed Brayford for £2m, I'd be very unhappy.

£1.5m and we've done alright.

Disagree. £1.5m for John Brayford is a bargain. Considering prices of other players.

Shackell and Keogh went for values circa £1m. CBs are traditionally more pricey than full-backs too, but Brayfords a slightly better player than both of them, so he's probably worth as much.

There's also the fact he's 25. He's not one of the best "young full-backs" in the league anymore. And due to injuries last term, this is actually his first season as an established Championship player.

I really don't want to belittle his talent, he's a fantastic player who I really would like to keep. However, if I were bidding for Brayford and they told me his price was £2m, I'd ask whether they want my money or not...you can get players as good for less than that.

Sam rush also said we would not sell on the cheap.

not having to sell is different to not being prepared to sell at a certain price

Its like the will Hughes thing,- When asked if we could hold on to him the reply was "Absolutely we can" a bit different to "Absolutely we can and will"

Problem is though ,davenport,if it did happen and no players were bought,the '£1.8m' business would resurface.

Shackell and Keogh went for values circa £1m. CBs are traditionally more pricey than full-backs too, but Brayfords a slightly better player than both of them, so he's probably worth as much.

There's also the fact he's 25. He's not one of the best "young full-backs" in the league anymore. And due to injuries last term, this is actually his first season as an established Championship player.

I really don't want to belittle his talent, he's a fantastic player who I really would like to keep. However, if I were bidding for Brayford and they told me his price was £2m, I'd ask whether they want my money or not...you can get players as good for less than that.

True! But would £1.5m really help us in any way? If Nigel Clough wants the money etc, I would rather see Will Hughes leave than John Brayford. Just for the fact Will Hughes will be off soon anyway.

Problem is though ,davenport,if it did happen and no players were bought,the '£1.8m' business would resurface.

yeah it would, especially if fees were around that value.

but it is also possible that there is a 1.8m defecit somewhere that the owners are prepared to cover if no one is sold - hence not having a need to sell nor to raise funds to cover it.

True! But would £1.5m really help us in any way? If Nigel Clough wants the money etc, I would rather see Will Hughes leave than John Brayford. Just for the fact Will Hughes will be off soon anyway.

Well £400k bought Brayford in the first place! Clough, I would imagine, probably has an idea of players he wants to sign in every position, and a list of replacements he might want if we sell. The club scouted at the olympics, is always watching games at many levels across the British Isles and Metgod and Short have their European contacts..in other words, Brayford's replacement is out there. He might be better, he might be worse, but one thing I can say is that he won't cost £1.5m!

If we sold Hughes and Brayford and reinvested every single penny on half a dozen players, none of whom turn out to be flops, we'd go up as Champions next season!

In an ideal world though, we'd rather keep Brayford, for the sake of continuity and the squad we're building.

Lets put this in the perspective. Brayford is 25, more then likely at his peak and can't exactly be happy with being with a midtable champ team, when he's got prem quality in my opinion.

He wont sign a new deal and he will leave within in the next year. Now, we sell now, for a respectable fee (1.5), and purchase a younger lad from the lower leagues (you have to remember Brayford costed us 400k) or, use Freeman/O'Connor and use the money elsewhere. Right thing to do. Rather keep Hughes any-day of the week. .

yeah it would, especially if fees were around that value.

but it is also possible that there is a 1.8m defecit somewhere that the owners are prepared to cover if no one is sold - hence not having a need to sell nor to raise funds to cover it.

Or,of course,there may not be a deficit.

Archived