Will Hughes

Warren Hobhead

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, Grantona said:

Need to sell Hendrick and use money on top striker.

if you think its a striker which will solve all our problems then you are clueless.

We have 5 number 10s. and no one to step into george thornes shoes particularly when the opposition have the ball.

Ince cant play out wide, wants to play no 10

Bryson and Hughes arent physical enough to play holding role.

Butterfield is much better behind the Centre forward.

Hendrick did well for eire at the euros in that role, has failed countless times for derby playing further back as a sitting midfielder.

Even Martin is decent in that position if he has a runner playing number 9 like Bent.

34 minutes ago, Warren Hobhead said:

Complete myth. 

He played like that at Barnsley too. 

And people wonder why he's still here. 

Enjoy the meltdown, people. I'm off to get hammered myself. Embarrassment tonight. One shot on target was it? Out-fought, out-battled. Burton wanted it more. They had a game-plan. Burton chuffin Albion. Well done, Mel. 

Pass me the JD.:blink:

Disagree with you on this one, Warren. Thought Hughesy was clearly our best player tonight and endlessly frustrated by those around him, but he kept trying to drive the team on. He was played too deep (or played too deep) but whenever he was forward the other offensiive players were rarely making the runs for him to play them through.

But you're right about one thing. Time to leave the board and abandon it to meltdown, and go and get hammered!

Strange person to blame. Him and Bryson were the only two who weren't awful in my opinion tonight. Was our only hope for any football first half, totally different to any other Derby player getting the ball. Disappeared a bit second half and was trying to do too much when he got it, but you can't blame him when no other player can control or pass the ball. Was awful at Barnsley but apart from that has looked quite similar to last season, not in the game enough in DM but get him further forward and we actually look a threat. If I were him I'd be looking for a move, far too good for us and to be stuck playing in a hoofball team.

3 minutes ago, McLovin said:

And it's always the same answer, they play well when Thorne is there and headless without. Makes me appreciate Thorne's quality more

Thorne is possibly the best player to put on a Derby shirt during my ten years of watching imo I don't think I'll ever forget the showing against Brighton in the playoff second leg absolute quality- those were the days. Without him we don't have a leader and best of all he actually gives a **** about the badge on his shirt

5 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Thorne is possibly the best player to put on a Derby shirt during my ten years of watching imo I don't think I'll ever forget the showing against Brighton in the playoff second leg absolute quality- those were the days. Without him we don't have a leader and best of all he actually gives a **** about the badge on his shirt

100% agreed. As good as Hughes is, he is not as good as Thorne imo. Thorneis the complete midfielder. He is a leader, got a mean tackle, great passer and has a great shot. Shame his injury record isn't the best. If Thorne had stayed fit after the play off final, we would have been in the prem by now

7 minutes ago, McLovin said:

100% agreed. As good as Hughes is, he is not as good as Thorne imo. Thorneis the complete midfielder. He is a leader, got a mean tackle, great passer and has a great shot. Shame his injury record isn't the best. If Thorne had stayed fit after the play off final, we would have been in the prem by now

Totally agree with you there there's no chance that he'd have let the players heads slip during the second half of mcclarens last season the way they did and imo if he didn't have so many injuries he'd be in the England squad now he's exactly what we've needed for years and may have finally found in dier

Just now, Millenniumram said:

Totally agree with you there there's no chance that he'd have let the players heads slip during the second half of mcclarens last season the way they did and imo if he didn't have so many injuries he'd be in the England squad now he's exactly what we've needed for years and may have finally found in dier

It's not just his individual quality that makes me appreciate him, it's his ability to make players around him perform better. That's a sign of a brilliant player. Seems we say the same thing every season, we are relying on Thorne too much. You would have thought we would have addressed this issue by now.

Just now, McLovin said:

It's not just his individual quality that makes me appreciate him, it's his ability to make players around him perform better. That's a sign of a brilliant player. Seems we say the same thing every season, we are relying on Thorne too much. You would have thought we would have addressed this issue by now.

That's pretty much what I was saying all match today playing Hughes at defensive mid is not the solution ,we lose so much in creativity with him in there, we should've signed a proper defensive mid with leadership qualities to deputise for Thorne while he's injured. Its arguably the most vital cog in our team and I can't get my head around why the recruitment team still haven't done something to sort it.

26 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Disagree with you on this one, Warren. Thought Hughesy was clearly our best player tonight and endlessly frustrated by those around him, but he kept trying to drive the team on. He was played too deep (or played too deep) but whenever he was forward the other offensiive players were rarely making the runs for him to play them through.

But you're right about one thing. Time to leave the board and abandon it to meltdown, and go and get hammered!

Totally agree. Along with Keogh, one of the few players to come out of the game with any credit.

A lot of silliness in this thread. Bryson was great but Hughes looked like the only premier league player out there tonight. Everything good came through him. Butterfield was his typical self : barely working and hiding from teammates. Was pleased to see him withdrawn. I want will at derby but if I were his agent id be engineering a move to a premier league team because the forwards and midfielders other than Bryson and Thorne don't think fast enough to play with him. Pearson needs to get quality players in front of him and wide of him so he can excel in central midfield and develop as a star player which what he is destined to be. 

I rate Hughes highly but he was awful tonight! If he's going to become the top player so many of us has predicted he's got to be able to be effective in more than one role of midfield. When he looked for the ball more in the second half he started to become effective. He didn't do it enough in the first half for me. Thornney (when one of his legs isn't mangled) goes looking for the ball all the time and joins in with attacks, hence the few goals he's scored. There's nothing to stop will doing this if he wants to. Big word for me is the 'if'. He didn't much a great shift in like brys did tonight. Holding midfield isn't Bryson's game but he still worked his balls off for the entire 90! 

Archived