Richard Keogh

BorneoRam

I want to apologise for actually believing that Shackell played quite well when he was with us.Now its clear

that he was in fact er well crap.really.Funny that i never got that opinion from everybody before he was sold.

I guess i wasn't reading between the lines properly,and ,anyway,what do i know?Actually it makes good

business to sell a good player who we know for less than hes worth and pay more for a player who we don't

know.Is it too early to nominate Mr. Keogh for player of the season?

Where does this negativity come from? Is it just a hatred of Nigel Clough? How do you know we sold Shacks for less than he was worth? How do you know we paid more for Keogh than he's worth?

Shacks played well last season and, imo, it was a poor decision to sell him with Barks being out for a season. The problem is none of us on this forum really know what is going on behind the scenes.

If we turn out a decent, hard working team and do better than last season then all's well.

If we play some good stuff and entertain, then some of us older ones will suffer involuntary leakage.

Maybe Nige has listened and learnt and has now got HIS team. No more big money hangers on from the Davies/Jewell years, just a group of young players, quite a few who have been POTY or captains at smaller clubs, and NC believes he can mould them into a unit capable of challenging for promotion. He obviously felt he needed to wheel and deal this closed season to finalise his squad.

Maybe he's sold the club to some players on the long term plans he has for Derby. Maybe people in football respect Nigel Clough and the job he's doing at Derby.

Whatever, he'll be judged this coming season not just by the wristslashers who have always been against him, but by the majority of fans who will see that this team is now his.

• Replies 553
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First of all it looks like a good signing 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> second of all to people who are moaning and celebrating whispering of promotion lets wait until the season starts before we make any predictions. We don't want to look foolish like those red dogs before McClaren took charge, I am happy with the signing now we need a left back, one more center back and a striker 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

ke he say keo ......

'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' /> 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cool' class='bbc_emoticon' alt='B)' /> 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cool' class='bbc_emoticon' alt='B)' />

YEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! works alnight on a cloughie wage... keo come and they want to go home.... squash their strikers till the morning come... keo come and they want to go home... Good work ...this is a winner. best song ever. DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY OOOOO

I want to apologise for actually believing that Shackell played quite well when he was with us.Now its clear

that he was in fact er well crap.really.Funny that i never got that opinion from everybody before he was sold.

I guess i wasn't reading between the lines properly,and ,anyway,what do i know?Actually it makes good

business to sell a good player who we know for less than hes worth and pay more for a player who we don't

Mate, I'm no fan of Clough or the board and have been criticised on here because of it but maybe, just maybe the club listened to the fans on this occasion. Maybe the original plan was to flog Shacks and try and replace him with another cheapjack signing, but the fans reaction made the board realise they had gone too far, hence the big money signing of Keogh. He is a decent replacement for Shacks and four years younger so its a bit of a no brainer to be fair.

First of all it looks like a good signing 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> second of all to people who are moaning and celebrating whispering of promotion lets wait until the season starts before we make any predictions. We don't want to look foolish like those red dogs before McClaren took charge, I am happy with the signing now we need a left back, one more center back and a striker 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Agree with your comments. Not sure we'll get the centre half, hope White is the left back and hope Sammon isn't the centre forward (back-up at best). I'm not sure we'll get rid of Steve Davies. There doesn't seem to be much of a queue for him and we shouldn't sell him cheap. I think any more buys depend on whether we get rid of Savies and Bailey. I'm certainly not confident in our ability to make the most of our improved midfield with the attack we currently have.

YEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! works alnight on a cloughie wage... keo come and they want to go home.... squash their strikers till the morning come... keo come and they want to go home... Good work ...this is a winner. best song ever. DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY OOOOO

Crap in absolute form.

I think if you read through the Shackell page you will find people who weren't overly worried about the sale of him, myself included.

You need to think logically about the situation. All along Clough has stated he would sell Shackell if it meant we could improve the team with the money received. We all expected that to be around £2million. The amount received was never disclosed but you comparison is Gunter leaving Forest for £2.3million. Just because some journalist claims 1.1mill you seem to have accepted that. Clough's own comment on radio Derby about whether the Shackell sale paid for the 3 players coming in was "it was more complicated than that", giving nothing away.

However....,

He also said that Keogh was a target all Summer so he knew roughly what he would be paying from the off and that indicates Shackell was always leaving. Sounds like a plan has been in place all Summer based on a forecast of money available and I expect more to happen in line with that plan, I just don't expect to find out much about it until a couple of days before it happens.

business to sell a good player who we know for less than hes worth and pay more for a player who [size=8]we[/size] don't

where you said we, you should of said I.

As I said in another post - paying the bigger figure for keogh means the Shackell deal wasn't about saving money but more of a case of Clough identifying a target he seems better and then moving one of the players out in order to make it happen. Which is what he did, he wasn't shackells replacement - he was target that Shackell was sold for.

I wasnt aware we knew the actual fee for Shacks?

reported on radio derby (as good as any source tbh) that Keogh cost more than Shackell went for - biggest signing we've made in years, exceeding the Shaun Barker figure.

also, read the interview (**** ramsplayer 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ph34r' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':ph34r:' /> ) and clough said he could of earnt more money elsewhere which puts to bed (kinda) rumours, as daft and out of character as they were that we would be paying out 12k a week! 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/blink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':blink:' /> 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wacko' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wacko:' />

Not sure what to make of this move, I cant judge a player I have hardly seen so Im not going to pass comment on that, but I thought the whole purpose of selling Shackell was to reinvest in other areas,.

Given that Clough said at the close of the season our top priority was a striker, cant understand when we have lost 2 we might not bring anyone else in, seems one step back and one step forward to me and I still think outside our first 11 we will struggle, but there is time.

As for Shackell, amazing how he has become past it at the grand old age of 29 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wacko' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wacko:' />

Not sure what to make of this move, I cant judge a player I have hardly seen so Im not going to pass comment on that, but I thought the whole purpose of selling Shackell was to reinvest in other areas,.

Given that Clough said at the close of the season our top priority was a striker, cant understand when we have lost 2 we might not bring anyone else in, seems one step back and one step forward to me and I still think outside our first 11 we will struggle, but there is time.

As for Shackell, amazing how he has become past it at the grand old age of 29 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wacko' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wacko:' />

My thoughts are that Shackell was made way for Keogh, as for strikers... I agree would like to see one come in but only really a necessary if Savies leaves in my opinion.

Its not about him being past it... who ever said he was past it?

We sold him for the highest figure he's ever gone for (at the very least) and replaced him with a player who is 3-4 years younger for around the same price. Surely that's good business. If Keogh turns out to be better than him, all the better.

I still think a look at Shackell's recent history gives some clues about what happened and now I'm quite sure that the Barnsley fans were right when they said he'd move on again after a year. I wouldn't be all that surprised to see him leave Burnley next summer if he has a good season.

Clough clearly sees this as an upgrade, rather than a strategic sale of Shackell - it's took most people by surprise.

In some ways the pressure is on him (and Keogh) more than ever to show they made the right decision. Let's see.

We sold him for the highest figure he's ever gone for (at the very least) and replaced him with a player who is 3-4 years younger for around the same price. Surely that's good business. If Keogh turns out to be better than him, all the better.

I still think a look at Shackell's recent history gives some clues about what happened and now I'm quite sure that the Barnsley fans were right when they said he'd move on again after a year. I wouldn't be all that surprised to see him leave Burnley next summer if he has a good season.

Well its good business if he is as good or better, if he isnt the only good thing is the cheaper wages. We seem obsessed with this young player thing at the moment, a bit like Arsenal, I just want good players and a good team, I dont care how old they are.

What recent history is that then, no of clubs I presume, why has he had more than say Keogh in his career ?

I can only go on what both Glick and Clough has said, and that was that Shackell was sold to reinvest into other areas of the team as well as another C/B, if Shackell was behind this move then why was this not stated, Clough is not one for hiding behind the real reasons.

Lets face it, you know as much as the next person on this forum about the real reasons, and its pure speculation to suggest otherwise.

Unless of course the prediction is that we're buggered and that we've sold our best player for naff all and we're going down and the club is being bled dry by the board and destroyed by "the man" a manager who has no clue.

Of course THOSE kind of predictions are allowed well before the season starts. Eh young ram?

3 signings by Clough . Keogh .Jacobs.Coutts on the face of it look good aquisitions.

Why? From the outside like where I work they are saying you have signed some random bloke from a poor league 2 side, a player who Preston didn't want and a defender from a team that got relegated. They are all Sheffield folk though

Archived