Richard Keogh

BorneoRam

DERBY County are among a number of clubs interested in Coventry City defender Richard Keogh.

But the Rams face competition from Championship rivals Cardiff City and Leeds United.

1. http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/images/localpeople/ugc-images/275778/Article/images/16543055/3968407
    Coventry City central defender Richard Keogh is wanted by Derby County but they face competition from Leeds United and Cardiff City for his signature.

Cardiff have tabled a bid for the 25-year-old, who was Coventry's player of the year last season.

Leeds are looking to bolster their defence ahead of the new season and Keogh's former club, Bristol City, have already seen a £250,000 bid turned down.

Derby are in the market for a central defender after selling Jason Shackell to Burnley.

They are also without skipper Shaun Barker for the whole of the coming season as he recovers from a serious knee injury.

The Rams received around £1.1m for Shackell and spent in the region of £150,000 on midfielder Paul Coutts from Preston North End, who signed at the weekend.

Keogh is in the final year of his contract at Coventry. The Sky Blues want him to stay and help them bounce straight back following relegation to League One.

Keogh did not feature when Coventry kicked off their pre-season programme with an 8-0 victory over non-League Hinckley United on Saturday.

He is not expected to travel with the squad to Scotland today for a three-match tour.

Manager Andy Thorn appears resigned to losing the player.

"I think there's an air of inevitability about Richard. That's how it is," said Thorn.

"He's a great lad and if he stays, he stays and if he goes, that's it. That's business and all good clubs lose their better players at some stage and we'll just move on.

"I think everyone is resigned to it. If we are honest with ourselves, if a player goes into his last year of his contract and hasn't or won't sign an extension, then from a business point of view, that can't happen.

"But we've planned for that and we'll pick ourselves up."

New signing Kevin Malaga started at the heart of Coventry's back four at Hinckley alongside fellow Frenchman and triallist William Edjenguele.

• Replies 553
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why would it make the Shackell sale pointless?

We allegedly sold for £1.1m

A little profit but it is not the profit that determines how much we have to spend. It's the amount paid up front or within the year. For all we know we owe nothing to Barnsley apart from the sell on clause and pushed for a massive up front fee from Burnley

Allowing funds for Keogh and a few hundred thousand left over. Greens wages and Maguire and Addison's fees pay for Coutts and Jacobs.

Can't see this being true Coventry rejected an £800k bid by Cardiff if we pay more than that it makes selling shackled pointless

I think that 800k "offer" was only in the clouds Ste.

Talk of him going for a million was a bit premature I think, they've got to realise that they wont get a million quid for a league one defender.

I really hope it's him but won't get excited until the club come out and announce him as a target, especially after seeing most of the other names we were linked with disappearing one by one.

Impressed with him when we played cov last season, also a fan of Coutts.

If we were to get Keogh hats off to Clough as someone mentioned Jacobs, Coutts & Keogh for the money generated from Shacks may not be bad afterall.

Bloody hell did i just say something positive about Clough!

He can change people's minds who are not sure if this comes off i believe so fair play

Archived