Steve Davies

Stive Pesley

At the end of the day, he scored 12 goals for us (whilst having to deal with various injuries, not least the last one).

Without his goals we would have finished further down the league wouldn't we? So for that reason I'll say ta Savies and thanks for your contribution. I wish him well with his future plans.

Question is will the board spend owt to replace him or make do with who we've got? Theo, Ball, Wardy etc

I bet we will go to the Scottish league , Johnny Russell, Jon Daly etc. Hopefully anyway.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think people realise how much value Steve Davies offers this team.

He can score with his head, and both feet. He can shoot from long range. He's strong in the air, and can run with the ball taking people on. He also has very good vision and can put a good ball or cross in.

Now compare this to Theo, who can, well erm, score tap ins.

This is a huge loss to Derby County. I hope if/when the family reasons come out they are genuine. No reason not to believe that now but I honestly think this guy could play Premiership football.

His only challenge is being fit for a long period. There was also nothing to suggest with the way he finished the season, that he wouldn't be fit next season.

Gutted and as people have posted above, what does £1 Million get you these days.

As for Martyn Waghorn - why would a Leicester bench warmer, who is in essence, the same type of player as Jamie Ward be a replacement?

Well that's disappointing news to wake up to.

The cynical side of me is a little miffed that, after spending so much of time out injured with us paying his bills, he's not going to repay that faith by sticking with us a while longer.

On the other hand, if he does genuinely have family issues then fair enough I guess. I'd wish him all the best. It's a shame we never got to see a full season of him - reckoned he would've cracked 20 goals easy.

What we feared, I know on the face of it it isn't the clubs fault and obviously rumours will be spread but taking in the information and what we know, then fair play to Stevie... massively disappointed as a fan, and really hope he doesn't move to another championship team, I can't see him going higher or lower so maybe a move abroad would best suit me... at least!

We've got to bring in someone better than him, simple as... him going leaves no doubt for me that we're a much, much worse side without his name being available!

He can f*ck off if he's moving on cos he thinks he's too good for us. We stuck by him through all his injury troubles and now he's just guna go.

If it's for family reasons i take it all back.

for once I agree with you. Three players stand out where we have spent time, money and effort to keep players fit for them only to fack off. Commons, Green and Savies. I have little respect for them as they have all had about a years worth of money for not playing and when offered a new contract goes else where. Least the players Clough has actually signed from scratch want to play for us and stop on the pitch longer and actually hate warming up the bench. First time ever that family issues has been a concerned accepted a new contract whilst injured why not go then now fit and top goal scorer he wants out for more money. Agents and players have got greedy and I don;t want that type of player here.

It will be another Championship club with a wage budget which fits his needs. The family issues is that his partner has maxed out the credit cards and the wages wont cover the bill. We are in the midlands and easy travel home for him in each direction.

Gutted and as people have posted above, what does £1 Million get you these days.

The only player from the top 10 championship scorers last season to have cost more than about £1m-ish was Billy Sharp, who went for just over a million a year or two ago. £1m buys you plenty.

I have a funny feeling that he will be sold.....

750k I reckon, or a cash plus player. Like i said its just a feeling, no proof 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wacko' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wacko:' />

I should have put some money on that!

I am not surprised at all, and me and the gang that we sit with speculated this as well.

Good luck to the guy, his stay here has been horrid in terms of the amount and variety of injuries, however I was never convinced that he whole heartedly wanted to be here and maybe that is the family reason as it could be putting a strain on his relationships.

Let's look on the bright side though, it's the first time in a while we've had a player on the market with a year left on his contract and a good reputation.

The fact that he was out top scorer and we don't want to lose him should make it a more attractive proposition for other clubs than say Lee Croft who we clearly don't rate and are desperate to get shot of

It's always a tough sell when you're trying to maximise the transfer fee if your actions with the player over the last season have been to not play him and/or loan him out wherever possible.

Look at what happened with Leacock, Bywater etc – our desperation to get rid meant that other clubs knew they could either screw us on price or just sit it out until their contracts were up.

Personally I'm saving my moaning on this one until we see how much we get for him.

It is completely his prerogative to turn down a new deal. Maybe he's just bored of Derby in general? I’m his age and to be honest if I had his sort of money I’d seriously consider moving to the big lights if an opportunity came my way. Once you've been round the Westfield you've seen it all right?

Duncan

I see your point but £1 Million is unlikely to buy you proven. How much have Leicester just purchased Vardy for? My summary on the top ten scorers is:

Lambert - £4 Mill easy

Vaz Te - £2.5 Mill easy (Contract was up hence West Ham got him on teh cheap)

Sharp -£3 Mill was it?

McCormack - £1 Mill maybe?

Austin - £1.5 Mill

Fryatt - £1.5 Mill

King - £1.5 Mill now

Phillips - One we let go

Cole - £3 Mill

Henderson - A possibility

Nugent - No thanks

Rodriguez - Another possibility

However - a fully fit Davies would be hitting 20 in a season which would put him third in the scorers list. £1 Million for Davies is cheap IMO.

However - a fully fit Davies would be hitting 20 in a season which would put him third in the scorers list. £1 Million for Davies is cheap IMO.

We won't get much more than a 1m, as his injury record is so poor, eventhough he has never had the same injury twice, managers will still look at that fact.

Archived