Striker a priority

sage

According to the DET interview with Glick, a new striker is a top priority for the close season. If this is the case and with not having to subsidise wages for £2-£2.5m anymore, they give the money for fees to Clough (not realistic, but slightly optimistic), should we spend it all on a striker or spread the money across 2, 3 or even 4 signings?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me we need

1 top class 20 goals a season striker

2 midfielders who can get stuck in (carsley type players)

1 stand in left back to generate some competition with Roberts

1 billionaire who decides to rename our stadium gold dust park, beforee FFP is implemented and gives us £200m to invest

The first three on this list must be addressed if we are serious about mounting a challenging for top 6 next season and not just flirting with top 6 for a few weeks.

Surely if he doesn't feature much for Wigan then he isn't a 20 goal a season championship striker?

I can't see a striker coming in and scoring 20 with our midfield, and if he could then he should be worth about 40million! Work from back to front, sort out the left back priority and defensive cover, then we work on a midfielder that can win the ball (if someone says Addison, I will cry) then we add creativity to the midfield, not to mention cover and then you add the striker.

for me out of what we need Striker comes 4th or 5th on the list, doesn't solve any of our problems just makes an expensive scapegoat for the fans!

Left Back..

Centre Midfield

Right Midfield

Attacking Midfielder

Striker

Right Back

Centre Back

Top 3 are by far and wide the biggest priority!

Surely if he doesn't feature much for Wigan then he isn't a 20 goal a season championship striker?

I can't see a striker coming in and scoring 20 with our midfield, and if he could then he should be worth about 40million! Work from back to front, sort out the left back priority and defensive cover, then we work on a midfielder that can win the ball (if someone says Addison, I will cry) then we add creativity to the midfield, not to mention cover and then you add the striker.

for me out of what we need Striker comes 4th or 5th on the list, doesn't solve any of our problems just makes an expensive scapegoat for the fans!

Left Back..

Centre Midfield

Right Midfield

Attacking Midfielder

Striker

Right Back

Centre Back

I think you've hit the nail on the head. We need those three quality additions, as well as a striker, and we've got about £2m for the lot. I'm not too sure we'll get all we need....

Is the £2m a limit to what we have available to spend next season?

Agree about the striker situation, not the most important requirement in the squad at the moment. A creative midfielder is a must, one that can score goals would be a plus and a right midfielder/forward type player.

Then a striker, d'ya reckon they're looking at Jordan Rhodes? Or somebody else? Anyone else out there with a decent goal scoring record?

Is the £2m a limit to what we have available to spend next season?

Agree about the striker situation, not the most important requirement in the squad at the moment. A creative midfielder is a must, one that can score goals would be a plus and a right midfielder/forward type player.

Then a striker, d'ya reckon they're looking at Jordan Rhodes? Or somebody else? Anyone else out there with a decent goal scoring record?

Didn't Huddersfield turn down 3M+ from WHam in the last window for Rhodes? Well out of our price range I am afraid.

I think Torres has only scored 20 league goals in one season once in his entire career.

It's a bit of a myth really.

Just a natural mover will have the ability to score 20 goals if we play to his strengths surely.

I thought Tyson was here to "play down the middle" and score goals??? Must be renewal time.

I think I would look at a centre forward and a quaily creative midfield player, either centre or right.

We need to create mote, but one of our big problems is when we pass to the feet or chest of our centre forwards, they lose it 80% of the time.

Yeah sounds about right.

Concentrate on the midfield area then, we lack

creativity. Somebody who can challenge for the ball, make a nice pass and score a few.

Exactly.

We could sign Van Persie and if Jamie Ward was to have a bad game he'd be stuck playing with his nuts just like Ball and Co.

We have one of the worse midfields in the division. Not as individuals, but as a group on the pitch they are second best every week. Poor balance and lack of composure/leadership/experience.

Get Clough to find one of these unearthed diamonds from the lower leagues that he waxed lyrical about during his pre-match Southampton interview....if not then ban him from mentioning all these non-league players whom have made the step up that he doesn't seem capable of finding

Exactly.

We could sign Van Persie and if Jamie Ward was to have a bad game he'd be stuck playing with his nuts just like Ball and Co.

We have one of the worse midfields in the division. Not as individuals, but as a group on the pitch they are second best every week. Poor balance and lack of composure/leadership/experience.

Yeah, it boggles the mind that we have 4 (or 5 counting Carroll) talented midfielders at Derby who are consistantly outplayed week in week out, regardless of the opposition. Mind you, saying that, when the midfield combo works well together we dominate teams. Okay dominate might be a bit strong, but we're at least challenging the opposition.

But when you look at either Green, Bailey, Bryson or Hendrick, I don't see a player there who can challenge for the ball and win it, neither a goal scoring threat. I suppose they've all got the potential to be excellent ball playing midfielders but they need the freedom to do that, so far they haven't.

Maybe Clough is asking them to do that as well (win the ball), bit to much pressure for them?

Left Back..

Centre Midfield

Right Midfield

Attacking Midfielder

Striker

Right Back

Centre Back

I think you make a good point. Midfield is certainly a very weak point and if it's not creating anything then even bringing in best striker in the world is going to be pointless.

Shame NC does not agree with you.

Archived