Striker a priority

sage

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally, I'd play Tyson on the left, Ward on the right and spend £1.5 million trying to bring in a goalscorer maybe from the lower leagues? Ched Evans? Jon Daly (probably get him for about £1million and he's 6 foot 3 so would add a bit of height) and then spend the rest on a new left back.

Hopefully next season as well Hughes could step up and become our creative midfielder, he'd be 17 and half then, so should be 'mature' enough?

The supposition is (and that's all it is) that the owners have been subsidising the wage bill by £2-£2.5m each year. Now the wage bill is at or below the break even figure, will they still subsidise the £2-2.5m but this tome on fees

Why don't Glick and co just go to Vegas put the claimed £2million on red, if it comes in, give derby the £4 million, we'll think Christmas has come early and be excited, and if it doesn't we'll have nothing to spend again, and it won't be a shock to our system because we're so used to it?

For all we know we already have a 20 goal a season striker. It's just with no supply or creativity he's not getting the chances to score.

Midfield general a must, to run the game and create. If we have to blow the budget on him, then so be it. It might just be the thing that makes everything else fall into place. I can't see the point in spending circa £400k on three or four players who aren't going to be any better than what we've got.

I have the read the article in DET below is the extract from Clough and Glick

"I think everyone knows we're short on goals and that is something we will make a priority in the summer – and that is something we are working on right now," said Glick.

"We're strong in certain places and we're weak in certain places, so we'll have a look at all areas.

"But we certainly know we need to score more goals and we'll look to address that."

Clough also says a striker is top of his wanted list.

"You look at Southampton's two strikers (Rickie Lambert and Billy Sharp). They are worth about £3.5m between them – that's not far off what we've spent in three and a half years," said Clough.

"When you look at what we've got up there, Nathan Tyson was a free transfer, Callum Ball is a 19-year-old and Theo Robinson was a next-to-nothing nominal fee.

"We need to try to find a striker in our price range who can get us the odd goal.

"We are working on that and searching all the time to try to get that striker in at the right price."

Lambert cost Southampton a fee of £1m rising to £1.5m and Sharp was a recent £1.8m capture from Doncaster Rovers.

Sharp was once a transfer target for Derby but Glick admits such a deal as that which took the player to Southampton is beyond their reach.

"We made different choices last summer. We brought in Nathan Tyson and Chris Maguire and we didn't bring in Billy Sharp," said Glick.

"I think right now, to go and get someone like Billy Sharp, who is on extremely high wages, does not fit into our wage bill at the moment and our ability to put a whole squad together that is going to have the right attributes.

It seems to me that Clough and Glick consider the squad in different ways. It looks like Clough wanted Billy Sharp but as Glick indicates the wages would have been the stumbling block. Also there is in my opinion that there is no chance of a £2million fee being paid as Glick had indicated during preseason. I base this on Clough comment that Southampton strikers cost £3.5 million jointly £1.8 for Lambert and £1.7 for Billy yet Clough is saying that they have to find a striker within their budget.

This can only mean one thing for me in the summer we will be taking a punt ona lower league striker like Barnett at Crawley or Keyes from Burton.

Although this article indicates they chose go for Tyson and Maguire (Glick comments), he also indicated Billy was a consideration but was never going to happen due to wages and transfer costs. This is more annoying as Glick indicated in his bullshitt comments in the summer that they know a striker could cost a couple of million to get in. Sharp has gone for less than price yet we did not get him or go for him.

Expect a lower league player coming in with the hope he can cut it at this level.

Effectively then we've said "we wanted a good striker but couldn't get one and were left with Tyson Maguire and Robinson"

We could have Robin Van Persie up front and we still wouldn't have a 20 goal a season striker. We need someone to create those chances for a striker. Is this how basic the mentality at the club is? We lack goals therefore we need a striker? We're not exactly creating many chances for those strikers.

Just imagine how devoid of creativity we'd be if Ward got injured. Yet we need a striker.

We're miles away from a squad capable of challenging, if it was just a striker that would be bad enough, but it's all over the pitch.

For instance we have Green playing on the right, out of position, who isn't a winger and it showed on saturday when he skied a cross 20 yards past any player in the box.

As we can't even afford one of those players then we are basically going nowhere.

This thread has highlighted the fact that people (myself included up to a couple of weeks ago) are expecting a little bit of leeway in the transfer and wages budget this summer when we get the 6 or 7 big earners off the books, but it seems like it ain't gonna happen.

This leads me to the conclusion that the money the investors have been putting in to keep us ticking has now come to an end, backed up by the original statement of intent when the board took over that it was a £50 million investment, which is where we are now.

So what lies ahead now?

Ever decreasing gates while we struggle to keep a squad going on a wage bill of around £6-7m?

Selling off the academy players to cover the losses?

It's been a very depressing couple of weeks on and off the pitch.

Archived