Striker a priority

sage

How come we only look players from lower leagues ? Football is played everywhere and with good scouting there should be players for us for reasonable fees.

George Burley comes to mind and look how good we were. Players which cost nothing got us a play off spot.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wages probably out of our price range.

The one area you have to pay good money for is a striker, otherwise your taking a complete gamble on someone who hasn't achieved anything and hoping it comes off.

This has been the hallmark of GSE's time here, which was highlighted earlier. They'd rather pay as little as possible for 3 or 4 players than spend the money on 1 decent player.

Invariably the 3 or 4 players contribute next to nothing.

Maybe one of us will win the Euro millions and invest heavily in the club. Then we might sign some decent players.

I think the obvious positions to replace are LB AM and RM. As much as I like Gareth Roberts he's getting towards the end of his career and we don't have anyone that's a natural CAM or right midfield that is good enough for the first team at the moment.

You never know, Ball could really develop and bag a hat full of goals, or he might not. If he did then a striker wouldn't be that important anyway.

Maybe one of us will win the Euro millions and invest heavily in the club. Then we might sign some decent players.

I think the obvious positions to replace are LB AM and RM. As much as I like Gareth Roberts he's getting towards the end of his career and we don't have anyone that's a natural CAM or right midfield that is good enough for the first team at the moment.

You never know, Ball could really develop and bag a hat full of goals, or he might not. If he did then a striker wouldn't be that important anyway.

....at least until we sold him

I said earlier Barnett at Crawley was an option. Unfortunately Peterborough have taken him on loan till the end of the season where they then sign him for a figure reported to be around the million pound mark.

Peterborough are pleased they have got him as they have stolen the march on about 5 or 6 championship clubs.

Question is why had we not considered him. However I know our board would never pay that much for a league two striker

Archived