Burnley v Derby County

Hucknall Ram

I am pleased with a draw. Even more pleased with yet another clean sheet.

I think give it a few more games where the defence is solid you may see more of an attacking display.

We went with 2 wins out of 12 or 14 games plummetting in the league before boxing day. We are not beaten since boxing day and not conceeding goals. I feel great.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am pleased with a draw. Even more pleased with yet another clean sheet.

I think give it a few more games where the defence is solid you may see more of an attacking display.

We went with 2 wins out of 12 or 14 games plummetting in the league before boxing day. We are not beaten since boxing day and not conceeding goals. I feel great.

And so you should! Another point in the bag against a team that were going to give us a good beating according to many people here. As I've said before, it's very easy to come on here week after week and say we're going to get stuffed one of these days. Well, at the moment that just isn't happening. Take a bow, Nigel Clough.

Can I put my forecast in for an unspecified game in the next two months please, We lose, by at least 2 goals, There, now I'm as good as most of the other experts on here. I feel good! Told you I was right........

Burnley were held to a 0-0 draw by Derby County on a frustrating day for the Clarets but both managers spoke about the weather as they reviewed their respective team's performances after the game.

Nigel Clough, who yesterday had said a clean sheet was his main priority, admitted: "I was very satisfied, not just with the point but with the way we played today. To come away from home and keep a clean sheet, and it not to be a negative clean sheet in any way is pleasing.

"We were as positive as we could be, had the majority of the play we think. We played some good stuff today and apart from one or two skirmishes we looked very solid.

"The wind was awful. We are down here now pitch side and you can see it is swirling around. In the first half Frank (Fielding) was kicking it, some were just reaching the half way line and other ones were getting to the edge of their box. It really was all over which puts into perspective how well we played in the second half, getting it down and knocking it around. It made it difficult for the players to control the ball but we coped with it probably better.

Clough spoke about the save that denied Jay Rodriguez a goal in the second half: "Frank Fielding has only had one thing to do in the game and it was an outstanding save again. It came over to the far post and he kept it out with his leg which was the difference between us getting a point or not.

"He did well and I think the introduction of Jeff Hendrick for James Bailey, who was feeling under the weather, at half time was good for us. He got onto the ball and got us passing it a little bit and that made a positive difference from our point of view."

Burnley boss Eddie Howe shared the frustration of the fans. "It's unlike us to be involved in a goalless draw," he said.

"It's been a long time and we don't do 0-0, but I'm delighted with the back four and the whole team in front of them because we really do look solid at the moment. That's the most important part of the game and if you get that right you have a chance.

"At the other end, we created enough chances to win the game. We started well and on the front foot, had a few early chances and things looked good. I don't think we created fantastic opportunities and we never had control of the game, but there were enough for us to probably take one and win the game.

"It wasn't a great spectacle though. Both teams suffered with the strong wind and it was difficult to get a flow to the game, especially with how slow Derby re-started the game. They gave us a lot of respect and you could see from the goalkeeper in the first couple of minutes that they wanted a point.

"You could tell from the first minute that he was taking forever over his goal kicks, much to our frustration. Teams will look at a point at Turf Moor as a great result, however we have to do better.

"It's up to us to break these teams down in the final third. That's the challenge, but this is another positive step for us in our progression.

"We haven't played as well of late, but we haven't lost either. We've drawn a tight game at home, which we haven't done for a long time. Whenever it's been a tight game here, we've usually come out on the wrong side of it, so we have to look at that as us getting mentally stronger."

Howe also had a word for Josh McQuoid who came on for the injured Ross Wallace at half time. "Ross had a back problem that he couldn't shake off at half time and we hope that isn't too serious.

"That gave Josh his chance. He is a talented lad but he hasn't had a lot of football and I think you could see that at first, but as the half progressed he got into the game and showed us what he is all about.

"He is a good footballer, he is quick, has good feet and can score a goal. I think he got better as the half went on and showed the Burnley fans what he is all about."

http://www.clarets-mad.co.uk/feat/ed12/its_been_a_long_time_and_we_dont_do_00_724361/index.shtml?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

RAMS boss Nigel Clough claimed his side took the game to the Clarets.

Others who witnessed the drab 0-0 stalemate at Turf Moor may disagree.

Clough set his stall appropriately in search of a point, and ultimately, much to his delight, left East Lancashire with a share of the spoils.

Derby were tight and physical at the back but had little intention or ambition to push forward; their only outlet to goal being that of Jamie Ward's corner kicks.

And it was Ward's embarassing tactics to slow the pace of the game that summed up County's performance. The winger's second half set-pieces were a threat, particularly with Derby's aerial dominance, but he was reluctant to rush and take the set-pieces; opting instead to delay time.

The Clarets started well and almost took the lead in the opening minute; Charlie Austin's strike blocked en route to goal by Paul Green.

Keith Treacy, stepping in for the injured Junior Stanislas, powered a header over the bar following Ross Wallace's superb pass for Jay Rodriguez to latch on to down the right and County keeper Frank Fielding scrambled to his near post moments later as Rodriguez's low drive flashed wide.

The driving wind and rain made conditions tough for both sides, though it didn't affect Kieran Trippier's zipped, diagonal pass that Jay Rod was unfortunate to get a touch to on the stretch. But neither side looked likely to make a breakthrough before the interval after Theo Robinson's strike was gathered at the second attempt by Lee Grant.

The second half saw Millwall loan man Josh McQuoid get his chance as he replaced the injured Wallace. But it was County's irritating intent on delaying the tempo that continued to tarnish the game.

Fielding denied Austin's header with a fingertip save at his near post and Treacy went closest in the 65th minute as his drilled centre was caught in the gust, flashed past Fielding and cannoned back off the post. The visitors cleared the danger and from Treacy's resulting corner, Michael Duff blazed over the bar.

With 20 minutes remaining Rams skipper Shaun Barker glanced wide when well-positioned from Ward's corner before substitute Ryan Noble nodded wide from a similar opening.

McQuoid came to life in the final quarter-of-an-hour as part of a forward three once Marvin Bartley had replaced Treacy. The 22-year-old was inventive in possession and that was high;lighted when he slipped a clever ball through to Austin whose effort whistled agonisingly wide of the far post.

Seconds later Bartley's deflected pass found Rodriguez in space on the angle of the six-yard box but his stinging, left-footed drive was denied by the outstretched leg of Fielding.

In time added on Austin stabbed wide of the near post from Rodriguez's centre before referee Lee Probert sounded his whistle for full-time.

Results elsewhere in the Championship saw the Clarets slip to 12th, but the goalless encounter, Burnley's first since manager Eddie Howe's first game in charge away at Ssausagehorpe, meant a sixth clean sheet in nine league outings.

http://www.burnleyexpress.net/sport/football/burnley-fc/burnley_0_derby_county_0_1_4168625

I remember drawing with Burnley at home 1-1 under George Burley and Burnley played exactly how they claim we played.. Physical at the back, a threat at set-pieces, time-wasting from the off and slowing the game down at every opportunity in an attempt to get the point..

We were saying exactly the same sort of stuff aswell.. Sour grapes or not, that's the sort of talk that comes out when an attacking team has failed to beat a defensive team..

I remember drawing with Burnley at home 1-1 under George Burley and Burnley played exactly how they claim we played.. Physical at the back, a threat at set-pieces, time-wasting from the off and slowing the game down at every opportunity in an attempt to get the point..

We were saying exactly the same sort of stuff aswell.. Sour grapes or not, that's the sort of talk that comes out when an attacking team has failed to beat a defensive team..

We are going no where if we keep keeping clean sheets. Drop all the defenders for the next game, play Mason as rush back in a 0-5-5 formation. Better to lose 23-1 than not score.

To say we didn't create anything from open play is wrong. We created some dangerous positions.

To say they created the better chances is misleading in a way because they only forced 1 brilliant save. They hit the post because of the wind. Hardly dominated but they like us created some dangerous opportunities.

For a nil nil away day I left feeling entertained by both teams attempts.

From speaking to the misses the radio didn't paint the same picture as I saw. Can't beat going to games.

Not the most exciting game I'll ever see but it was pleasing to watch. Especially the second half. Had done good play at times, not just from corners as the report suggests. Maybe if they payed attention as to why we forced all our corners in the first place they might have something decent to say.

Shackell and Barker dominant in very difficult conditions, the latter looked like he missed a golden opportunity though.

Still, very happy with a point. Hendrick looked very good, his passing opened Burnley up a few times.

Good vocal backing too, best I've been to this year bar forest.

Not the most exciting game I'll ever see but it was pleasing to watch. Especially the second half. Had done good play at times, not just from corners as the report suggests. Maybe if they payed attention as to why we forced all our corners in the first place they might have something decent to say.

Shackell and Barker dominant in very difficult conditions, the latter looked like he missed a golden opportunity though.

Still, very happy with a point. Hendrick looked very good, his passing opened Burnley up a few times.

Good vocal backing too, best I've been to this year bar forest.

Yes I think having Hendrick back to form and fitness could take our season onto the next level. Maybe.

Was there a site were you could watch it live online?

No there wasn't Sage. I looked for an hour to find one and nothing doing.

Some surprisingly insightful comments delivered by fans listnening to radio commentary though.

Which is always useful ;-)

Maybe the south american version of ramsplayer gets the whole game up early?

No there wasn't Sage. I looked for an hour to find one and nothing doing.

Some surprisingly insightful comments delivered by fans listnening to radio commentary though.

Which is always useful ;-)

Maybe the south american version of ramsplayer gets the whole game up early?

assuming they could get it on the radio...

Could we get two matchday threads running for the next match, one for those at the game and another for people who are listening on radio/following bbc text commentary. It would make it easier then to know whose comments to ignore when I'm trying to make every post a continuation of the same boring narrative I've been pushing all season ie those who actually go to the game.

Archived