Burnley v Derby County

Hucknall Ram

We are going no where if we keep keeping clean sheets. Drop all the defenders for the next game, play Mason as rush back in a 0-5-5 formation. Better to lose 23-1 than not score.

You know, you can attack teams and keep clean sheets at the same time..

During our playoff season under George Burley.. We attacked everygame, trying to outscore the opposition and we never 'settled' for a point.. Oh, and we kept 14 clean sheets that season, 60 goals conceded in total, and finished with a + GD.. NCs 2 full seasons have seen us shipped 63 and then 71.. But please, don't let that fact get in the way of abit of my attacking mentality bashing.

By attacking teams, it doesn't mean you all of a sudden abandon your defensive duties..

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

During our playoff season under George Burley.. We attacked everygame, trying to outscore the opposition and we never 'settled' for a point.. Oh, and we kept 14 clean sheets that season, 60 goals conceded in total, and finished with a + GD.. NCs 2 full seasons have seen us shipped 63 and then 71.. But please, don't let that fact get in the way of abit of my attacking mentality bashing.

By attacking teams, it doesn't mean you all of a sudden abandon your defensive duties..

An attacking mentality would go against the strengths of the players we have, so why would we play with an attacking mentality?

we don't have a creative centre midfielders, just industrial hard working ones, Ward is the only player that plays regularly that can run at players and beat them, we could drop Bryson and Green and bring in Cywka and Maguire, and that would certainly make us a much more attacking outlet, but a much worse team.. if you don't mind me saying.

Did we get promoted that year under GB?

Why not quote the BD season where we built from the back, and got promoted mainly as a result of this.

Did we get promoted that year under GB?

Why not quote the BD season where we built from the back, and got promoted mainly as a result of this.

Because we ended up with 11 points the next season

Do you think George Burleys side would have amassed more than 11 points? I'd have hoped that after that PL season Derby fans would have learned.. I was wrong. Yes, it's a results business, of course, bring on the 1-0s and 0-0s!

there is a happy-medium, you can't go out and play free flowing football in the championship, when you go to wind swept grounds like turf moor, what you need to do, is win games, get up to the premiership, and then play football how you want to. As Swansea did.

Because we ended up with 11 points the next season

Do you think George Burleys side would have amassed more than 11 points? I'd have hoped that after that PL season Derby fans would have learned.. I was wrong. Yes, it's a results business, of course, bring on the 1-0s and 0-0s!

Trouble is, you were banging on about the same thing during our bad run in the Autumn. Now we are doing well playing 'defensive' football you argument is looking even thinner. Also, if you read some of the comments from people who actually went to the game it sounds like we weren't even that defensive. Your credibility was seriously dented after the Peteborough match, when you posted 1 minute after full time moaning on about how defensive we were, only for everyone who went to the match to rubbish your opinions. All you seem to have left is that we aren't doing as good as when Burley was mananger. Why don't you compare us now to when we won the league with Nigel's dad. This at least our 3rd best season since the end on the 90s. Can't you just enjoy it a little bit and stop trying to ruin it for everyone else. You got it wrong big time about Clough. Stop trying to find sticks to beat him with.

Trouble is, you were banging on about the same thing during our bad run in the Autumn. Now we are doing well playing 'defensive' football you argument is looking even thinner. Also, if you read some of the comments from people who actually went to the game it sounds like we weren't even that defensive. Your credibility was seriously dented after the Peteborough match, when you posted 1 minute after full time moaning on about how defensive we were, only for everyone who went to the match to rubbish your opinions. All you seem to have left is that we aren't doing as good as when Burley was mananger. Why don't you compare us now to when we won the league with Nigel's dad. This at least our 3rd best season since the end on the 90s. Can't you just enjoy it a little bit and stop trying to ruin it for everyone else. You got it wrong big time about Clough. Stop trying to find sticks to beat him with.

I got it wrong big time? How? Did I ever say we were going down?

You do realise those that shout people down during a season and dish out the 'I told you so' are the weakest ones.. I had plenty of chances, 2 wins in 14 and 5 losses on the trot.. Did I say anything then, nope.. Did I dish out the 'I told you so' again no I didn't..

And yes, my credibility was seriously dented, especially as it's now been 2 and a half years since we last struck a last 15 minute winner.. People were so busy trying to shoot me down because I didn't go that they actually did a good job of covering up the fact.

You can't argue with Bris, YOU'RE wrong. Deal with it, we all have to from time to time.

Bris, you can't keep on creating scenario's which seemingly make a point about the present compared to the past. It's okay though, I know I'm wrong I don't need your explanation of why that is.

Also, although I think we would still have got relegated with Billy Davies (premiership times) that season was a complete wash out when you consider the Paul Jewell factor.

PAUL JEWELL.

This current squad would get relegated as well, but I'd trust Clough over Davies and Jewell to make decent signings any time. One thing about Clough is I don't know how far his scouting network travels. At least we know it goes to Scotland.

However, I don't like that English football has ignored British and English footballers anyway, so, looks like Clough is trying to redevelop British football from the youth up. Fair do's.

Best outcome, is that Derby steady the ship and lessen the poor performances and diva style attitudes within the squad, done, and find some flair top class players to come from the youth set ups or a bargain somewhere around the UK. Some time needed. Meanwhile, Derby look like a more attractive prospect rather than that team with the 'worst team in history' tag that nobody wants to play for.

Is this the 3rd full season? Cloughs still talking about 10 years into the future, this isn't a quick fix, this is about rebuilding Derby County football club from the inside out.

Best of all, he's concentrating on the youth setup as well!

Can't wait for the next 10 years, steady improvement all the way.

Archived