Burnley v Derby County

Hucknall Ram

Who do you think you are kidding Eddie Howe?

If you think we're on the run,

We are the boys who will stop your little game.

We are the boys who will make you think again.

'Cus who do you think you are kidding Eddie Howe?

If you think old Derby's done?

8-0 Rams. And this song will be sung.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Happy days indeed RR. We're not world beaters and we're not barca...but we are hard to beat, getting more confident by the week and seem to have a good team spirit. We have players who can sneak a goal when we're not playing brilliant and we are developing a decent spine. Fielding - Shack - Barks - Bryson/Hendrick/Bailey - Callum - Theo. AND, AND, We are Derby! 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' /> 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

SCOUT Phil Smith looks to the home clash with Derby as Burnley try to maintain their superb form.

The Championship can be a cruel mistress. We began last Saturday three points off the top six, and, thanks to a late Reading winner by Adam Le Fondre, that is where we remain, despite our exploits in the North East.

Talking of our game against Middlesbrough, I am unsure how to call it. Burnley were worthy of maximum points, that cannot be argued, but how much can we read into the result? Had results been favourable, the Teessiders could have gone top with a victory, not that the 17,001 in attendance would have noticed, such was the divide in quality come the final whistle.

Were they poor or did we simply make them look like an average side? Poor handling from Connor Ripley certainly played a part in the second goal, whilst the first was comical in that it led to us taking the lead. That is not a slight on the routine, I have praised it previously in these pages, but an expression of utter bemusement as to how Tony Mowbray fell victim to it once again.

Individual mistakes certainly proved costly, but to offer them as the reason for a most welcome three points would be criminal. There was nothing fortunate whatsoever about this victory, and, if anything, reaffirmed my belief that the squad is more than capable of achievement, regardless of any possible additions this month.

Team spirit is the greatest tool available to any manager, and once the squad start putting their bodies on the line for each other, take a step back and let them get on with business. The focus of Eddie appears to be on cementing the personnel we already have, rather than a clamour for new faces, so I would suggest that me and him are singing from the same hymn sheet.

On to tomorrow, and if the form book is to be believed, we can expect a stern examination of our credentials against a Derby County side in the midst of a purple patch. I will set myself up for a fall here, but despite their haul of 15 points from the last 18, I cannot see past a routine home victory.

Then again it needs to be, Turf Moor is currently not the fortress it once was. Home form will be the foundation to whatever success we look to achieve, and at the moment we are coming up short.

Given that Nigel Clough has a preference for 4-4-2, I suggest the possibility of 4-4-1-1. This allows ourselves an extra body in midfield, whilst keeping the same lines of play visible in 4-4-2. Trippier and Easton can overlap, without the threat of conceding a counter-attack, as a result of the two holding midfielders. Their deep line and lack of pressure invited previous opponents Coventry City to take the initiative, and thus the extra man centrally can facilitate ball retention.

James Bailey and Paul Green were wasteful in possession, and Marvin Bartley (pictured) would be the ideal candidate to pick up the pieces and wrestle the initiative.

I mean no disrespect by this, but Derby County are a poor defensive display away from being on the receiving end of an absolute hammering. Their recent rise up the table has been built on a solid back four, plus the form of goalkeeper Frank Fielding. Common sense dictates that this scenario cannot continue indefinitely. But for inadequate finishing, the Sky Blues would have put them to the sword.

Lukas Jutkiewicz came on against ourselves as a substitute in the North East, and I would state on record that had his move not occurred until this week, Coventry City would have bagged their first away maximum of the season at Pride Park.

Without him, I am afraid that they can now purchase a one-way ticket out of the division.

http://www.burnleyexpress.net/sport/football/burnley-fc/talking_tactics_derby_will_provide_stern_test_1_4163175?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Burnley scored a landmark result in their season with victory at Middlesbrough last weekend and it won them a fair few plaudits, but we're not convinced there's any magic dust around Turf Moor right now and we're willing to take the Clarets on when Derby visit this weekend.

The Lancashire outfit are in good shape and it's nice to see the doubters off Eddie Howe's back for the time being but his managerial style is always liable to produce extreme ups and downs because it's not in his nature to tolerate a stalemate and it just so happens that seven of the last nine coin tosses have come up heads following a sequence of six in eight tails.

You have to go all the way back to September for the last time Burnley drew a game and while in some people's logic that amounts to another one being due anytime now, we're more inclined to follow the principle that their games provide fertile ground for fixed odds punters all of the time.

The last 19 matches overall have produced 12 wins and seven defeats for the Clarets and there's no real rhyme or reason to when the triumphs and disasters have occurred, at least not looking at the prices.

Indeed, only six of those 19 matches have been won by the favourite, meaning that anyone who had backed the underdog to split £10 stakes in all of Burnley's league games over the course of the past four months would now be showing clear profit to the tune of £249. Or 130 per cent, if you prefer.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/football-league/championship-betting-preview-underdog-derby-to-oust-random-burnley-6292389.html

It’s another blockbuster clash as Burnley seek to make an impression on the top six, writes Jamie Smith.

As impressive as the win at Boro was last weekend, it didn’t make a lot of difference to the league table. Burnley go into this match in tenth spot in the Championship and visitors Derby County are one of the sides between us and the top six.

Eddie Howe will be without Martin Paterson and Junior Stanislas after the pair picked up hamstring problems in the 2-0 win at Middlesbrough, but he has signed Josh McQuoid to help fill the void.

Zavon Hines and Keith Treacy both played for the reserves in midweek and are in contention for a place in the side, while Danny Ings could mark the latest step on his comeback trail with an appearance on the bench.

Charlie Austin is in line for a return to the starting 11 if Howe chooses to retain his 4-4-1-1 shape, although he could select Jay Rodriguez as a lone frontman and bring back Marvin Bartley in midfield alongside Chris McCann and Dean Marney.

Nigel Clough brings his Derby side to Turf Moor and also has a new forward on loan, Ryan Noble from Sunderland, who is likely to go straight into the squad. But he is without Nathan Tyson, who misses out through injury. Theo Robinson is the club’s top scorer with eight strikes this season and he is the man to watch for the visitors, having scored twice in his last three games.

Derby come to Turf Moor as one of the form teams in the division, having won their last four matches in the Championship, each by a single goal. So it is likely to be tight, with the Clarets seeking to improve home form that has frequently let us down this season.

Five wins and five defeats is not the record of play-off contenders and Burnley will have to turn their ground into a fortress if they are to make it into the top six. Derby have lost six times on the road this campaign and have only collected 14 points from 12 games on the road so far. But the Clarets home record of 18 points from 13 matches is only a little better.

Having won their last two Championship matches 1-0, Clough will be hoping for a third clean sheet in a row, with a positive result able to catapult his men into the top six. But that prize is also up for grabs for the Clarets, who are within three points of a play-off place, although three teams lie between them and a spot in the end-of-season lottery.

Derby’s goal difference is uncommonly bad – they are the only side in the top half of negative figures. They lost 4-0 at Leicester at the start of October – although the scoreline was boosted with two late strikes – and conceded 11 goals in a run of four games at the end of November, but seem to have tightened up the backline since then.

Although the Clarets won back-to-back home games in the Championship at the end of last month, a 1-0 defeat to a late, late goal against Portsmouth spoiled that little run. But seven wins in nine is a cracking return and represents a massive turnaround from just two months ago.

The Clarets really need to find a way to win at home on a regular basis. But with Derby coming to Turf Moor in such good form and Burnley inevitably set to let the fans down, as usual, I’m going for another defeat at home. I expect the loss of Paterson to hit us hard, after the striker’s return played such a huge part in our return to form in the last month.

Prediction: Burnley 1-2 Derby County

http://nonaynever.net/7591/preview-burnley-v-derby-county/

I mean no disrespect by this, but Derby County are a poor defensive display away from being on the receiving end of an absolute hammering. Their recent rise up the table has been built on a solid back four, plus the form of goalkeeper Frank Fielding. Common sense dictates that this scenario cannot continue indefinitely. But for inadequate finishing, the Sky Blues would have put them to the sword.

I maintain those thoughts also.. I thought each of our last 4 games would have gone the other way had it not been for poor finishing.. Especially at home to Leeds, how they didn't score in that game was incredible..

I hope we aren't as poor as what we were last season at Turf Moor.. That was the beginning of the end of our attacking football when Luke Moore gave us an early lead and then we sat back for the remaining 70 minutes.

If we go 1 down early tomorrow I can only see a routine home win and probably by a few goals.. Our only hope is to do a smash and grab (again)

Archived