Mason Bennett

Ambitious

Does anybody want to mention the increase in add on clauses that form part of the new rules, or are possitive comments banned from this forum?

The up-front payments on face value seem harsh but contracting a 14 or 15 year old to stay at a football club seems just as mercenary --- just an alternative view perhaps from a legal perspective!

I'm sure clubs will find a loophole in the new rules, does anybody have a full copy of them that sets out the full details rather than media speculation?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Young British talent is just a slave to the premiership. At this rate no team will break into the top five or six, national game will be less pointless than it is now, and kids with talent will never get a real chance to do what they love and play football. Welcome to thebworld of broken promises and exploration. Thought slavery was illegal ????

I am getting sick and tired of people referring to anything that goes on in football as slavery. They are paid a good wage for pursuing their dreams of becoming an international superstar worth millions, most can't make it that is what makes the ones that do so special. They want to do it, they are not forced, they are paid- IT IS NOT SLAVERY!

I coach junior football in my local area and it is not just the premiership teams who shatter players confidence the ones round me are in Championship, League 1 or 2. I will never stop a kid going to an academy however I sit their parents down and explain that it is cut-throat at every age group, each week he will be assessed and if his forms dips and a player is deemed better than him/her then they will be replaced. This could happen at any time. They are not too concernced about building up confidence or developing them. I have had players go been dumped they just want to play footballl but their parents still think they are the next best thing and pile on even more pressure on them to get back into an academy.

Grasstroot football is undergoing a major changes as apparently it is us not the academies that will develop the next crop of English players. The academies are not facing the changes we are at junior club level. The reason our national team is poor is because a majority of academies are not interested in developing talent hence not many come through the system. Clough 2 yrs ago made the decision of developing youth as the world of football was changing hence people like Bennett, Obrien, Ball, Hendrick has come through the ranks. Since Alex Ferguson at Utd how many teams in the top two divisions have/are producing their own local talent in groups.

Well done Clough and the coaching staff from top to bottom for actually realising talent in academies need developing and not just chucked on the scrap heap. Not many clubs would keep a playerafter heart operation at a young age.

What a fine post sir, thanks for the read.

Ha ha nice one dan

Nigel Clough is ready to give Derby wonderkid Mason Bennett a shock first-team debut this weekend at the age of FIFTEEN.

Manchester City are already keeping tabs on the youngster, who was born on the day England beat Scotland at Euro 96 and Paul Gascoigne staged his infamous ‘Dentist’s Chair’ goal celebration.

Clough will include striker Bennett in his squad for Saturday's trip to Middlesbrough and is prepared to make him the youngest debutant in Derby history.

Already an England Under-16 international, Bennett has already established an excellent reputation and City, Manchester United, Liverpool and Spurs have sent scouts to watch him play for the Rams' reserves.

And boss Clough has revealed the only reason the kid did not make his debut at Reading on Tuesday was because he had school the next day!

“Mason is someone we have to be patient with, but we can’t deny that we’re very excited about him," he said.

“He’s a fantastic prospect and playing in the Championship would certainly not faze him.

“We wanted to take him with us to Reading, but we were mindful that he had to be in at school nice and early the following day!

“It won’t be a problem this weekend though, because he’s breaking up for half-term next week.”

Bennett will beat Derby’s previous record holder Lee Holmes as the youngest player in their history by 169 days if he plays on Saturday.

The teenager scored twice for the England Under-16s in the 3-1 win over Northern Ireland last month.

T'was in the mirror , the sun & a few other places too pal

I don't think its right for kids to be in academies when they're really young. I used to do a little coaching on saturday mornings for kids ages 5-12. It was part-funded by Leicester City so we were supposed to send the best players to Leicester, but I was told by the boss before we send them to Leicester we should encourage them to sign for local teams because the academies were too harsh and demanding. That was straight from the mouth of a UEFA B coach. He said you can't assess a players full potential until he's around 14/15 so a huge ammount of kids are guna be left with broken hearts when they are kicked out.

I wasn't trying to start a 'lets get rid of our best players for any sniff of money' I was just stating that champions of england had been interested, and then what sort of bid personally would you accept, there is tons of players that have fell from high stature as a youth player.

Not many people will know this, and this is going to blow some peoples minds... however 'the most capped player at youth international for england ever?' the person with the record played over 40 games at all levels upto under 20.

This is one of the pub quiz, but I'll let you fight it out but I would be surprised if it hasn't already been mentioned.

BBC breakfast, no picture, no high, no stats, no weight for the chap. Why didn't they just read the match report from the under 18 England game?

Cuts at Auntie must be really bad.......!

yes i didnt really realise how bad things were untill today. the horror of no stats for a 15 year old footballer has shocked me to the bones.

I wish Mason all the luck in the world today. I trust the squad will look out for him against seasoned pro's.

He and his family will be so proud - I bet his ma & pa have their hearts in their mouths though. I hope he has a great match, go on Young un, well done to ya!!! 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Archived