Sheff UTD (A) - Match Thread

Eoghan1884

27 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Yes, our defenders try only for distance. Their headers go over our midfield and straight to theirs.

I'll admit I can't say I've noticed that particularly but don't disbelieve you. 

Do you think it's player quality, tactical or mentality ? 

2 hours ago, TINMANTED said:

In stroms defence,his view was seriously obstructed when setting up the wall by a united player jumping up and down in front of him,obviously a tactic employed by them on free kicks

Whose idea was it to have Ossie as the outside man in the wall and then not have him jumping?

With regard to my post to which you replied, there is no criticism, implied or otherwise, of JWZ. He was where he should be, the issue was the wall.

33 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I think it’s worth pointing out that Burrows as a left footer was also lined up to take it. 
You’d need a six man wall to cover both options. 
I think we have to accept that Hamer put it in exactly the right area and JWZ couldn’t get to it. 
The ball curled from outside the wall and snuck in.

The 3 man wall would have been sufficient if the outside man in the wall had either jumped or been 4 inches taller. No criticism of JWZ from me. No keeper can cover post to post. He covers most and the wall covers the rest. 

9 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

I'll admit I can't say I've noticed that particularly but don't disbelieve you. 

Do you think it's player quality, tactical or mentality ? 

Probably player quality TBH. It’s been going on for a while now. Once you’ve seen it, you can’t unsee it 😊

It might just as easily be a lack of communication from the midfield. If you’re focussing on the ball you need a bit of help as to where your teammates are. 

13 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

Whose idea was it to have Ossie as the outside man in the wall and then not have him jumping?

With regard to my post to which you replied, there is no criticism, implied or otherwise, of JWZ. He was where he should be, the issue was the wall.

Mendez-Laing was going to be the outside man in a wall of 4, but ended up splitting off to cover a wide Sheff Utd player.

14 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

The 3 man wall would have been sufficient if the outside man in the wall had either jumped or been 4 inches taller. No criticism of JWZ from me. No keeper can cover post to post. He covers most and the wall covers the rest. 

How can anyone other than the keeper know whether the wall is covering the area it should? 

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

How can anyone other than the keeper know whether the wall is covering the area it should? 

You can get an outfield player to stand on the ball and have a look . But Jacob will have to remember that some players can bend the ball 3 yards in this League . Roy Keane said on Sky this weekend that a Prem goalie should be fined a weeks wages  for not lining his wall up properly . Bit harsh but true . 

7 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I think shouting aggressively at someone and calling them a paedophile should be a criminal offence….might make the morons think twice about chanting it. I think that is beyond rude and no other employee would  have to tolerate it.

If we measured what you could chant at football games by what employees legally would have to tolerate at work you wouldn't hear 90% of the chants or remarks which are made at football. I agree it's really grim behaviour but it being grim isn't sufficient reason to criminalise a behaviour. I'm really cautious about bringing overt morality into speech laws though and recognise not everyone is the same. I think it should be seen as socially more shameful than it is and some form of pressure should occur when that type of chanting is going on. The whole sex offender chant is a wider issue than just as well as I've heard plenty of other clubs do it at other players who have no criminal record or allegations either. 

5 hours ago, brady1993 said:

As in from defensive headers on our part ? 

I've not particularly seen that as a problem if I'm honest mostly. I think that we deal with for the most part. 

I think it's when we go long that's the bigger issue as we almost always lose the ball when we do. (I'm not including balls to run onto here. It's obvious as to why but it's not as obvious as to why we want to do it at times because at times we are doing when it feels completely unnecessary. And we've showed that we can play our way out. 

I was certainly a bit disappointed when Z struggled to kick down into the channels for our forwards to run on to, near the end. He was either getting it too central presenting Soutter with an easy header out (he's a man-mountain, though) or kicking into touch. 

1 hour ago, Leeds Ram said:

If we measured what you could chant at football games by what employees legally would have to tolerate at work you wouldn't hear 90% of the chants or remarks which are made at football. I agree it's really grim behaviour but it being grim isn't sufficient reason to criminalise a behaviour. I'm really cautious about bringing overt morality into speech laws though and recognise not everyone is the same. I think it should be seen as socially more shameful than it is and some form of pressure should occur when that type of chanting is going on. The whole sex offender chant is a wider issue than just as well as I've heard plenty of other clubs do it at other players who have no criminal record or allegations either. 

I think it really is about “society” Like you I dislike criminalising things just because we don’t approve of  them. This stuff is to most of us simply distasteful. Its crude, vulgar and unpleasant; but criminal ? Nope. It’s for us as a “society” to gather round and make it uncomfortable, to establish norms that we all see as fundamental. The law is one step further and for me often a step too far. I’d be more than happy though if the club identified those and chose not to sell them tickets. ! 

5 hours ago, Carnero said:

Mendez-Laing was going to be the outside man in a wall of 4, but ended up splitting off to cover a wide Sheff Utd player.

Extremely well worked by Sheff Utd in that case, essentially we played into their trap/plans. 

If the chanting was racist, the stewards and police would be on it like a ton of bricks. And as already mentioned if you are even just caught on camera in a political protest march you can be arrested. You can also be arrested for what you post on Facebook. And the previous government passed the laws which make all this possible. The definition of hate crime/racist abuse is now so vague that you can be arrested for almost anything of the authorities so decided. So why haven't they decided to act against this sort of abuse which is ruining the matchday experience?

1 hour ago, DavesaRam said:

If the chanting was racist, the stewards and police would be on it like a ton of bricks. And as already mentioned if you are even just caught on camera in a political protest march you can be arrested. You can also be arrested for what you post on Facebook. And the previous government passed the laws which make all this possible. The definition of hate crime/racist abuse is now so vague that you can be arrested for almost anything of the authorities so decided. So why haven't they decided to act against this sort of abuse which is ruining the matchday experience?

I have to say I've never heard anything remotely racist from any of our away supporters and for that I'mquite grateful. We're quite a multicultural fanbase.

Homophobic,  misogynistic, agist, anything else is fair game! 

6 hours ago, angieram said:

I was certainly a bit disappointed when Z struggled to kick down into the channels for our forwards to run on to, near the end. He was either getting it too central presenting Soutter with an easy header out (he's a man-mountain, though) or kicking into touch. 

That's the thing though, kicking accurately into channels is difficult to do regularly and the player getting it is marked in some ways by the touchline.

On that subject I think it was notable how indecisive it felt at times whether we were going to play it short or long from the goal kick. Personally I think with the side we have 90% of time it should be going out short and it's looked better when we have. Going long most of the time is just giving up possession cheaply.