Best defense since Billy?

Rev

Watching today, it occurred to me I've not felt anxious about conceding from a set piece, or general play while under the cosh, for quite a while.

I just don't see us giving a cheap goal away anymore, or succumbing to a prolonged period of pressure.

Nowadays, once we enter the last 20 minutes with a lead, I'm pretty sure we'll hold on through any normal sort of pressure, and it'll take something special to breach us.

This is a massive change from the last decade+, and puts me very much in mind of wee Billy's promotion season.

Is this the best We've been coached since, or is it the personnel that are making us so secure?

9 hours ago, Rev said:

Watching today, it occurred to me I've not felt anxious about conceding from a set piece, or general play while under the cosh, for quite a while.

I just don't see us giving a cheap goal away anymore, or succumbing to a prolonged period of pressure.

Nowadays, once we enter the last 20 minutes with a lead, I'm pretty sure we'll hold on through any normal sort of pressure, and it'll take something special to breach us.

This is a massive change from the last decade+, and puts me very much in mind of wee Billy's promotion season.

Is this the best We've been coached since, or is it the personnel that are making us so secure?

Can’t answer that, but really good to see more posts recently from you Rev.

Good points. I really like Nyambe... He's a beast of a defender...but the defence generally is pretty good. I like the new goalie... he's like Peter Shilton used to be - worth a goal's start. Also I think the new midfield is better at protecting the defence. In previous seasons opposition players were able to charge through our midfield... not any more. Equally we defend from the front too. IMO in Warney and co we have the best management team since wee Billy. Time will tell. Cheers. Terry.  UTR 

1 hour ago, i-Ram said:

really good to see more posts recently from you Rev.

Agreed.

On a Sunday as well, just feels right.

Anyhow, the defence. The last 2 games I would say yes, Cardiff did have a little spell after Ozoh went off where it would have been nice to have a 2 goal cushion to relax a little more.

Although it was maybe 10 mins at most, we seemed to settle again and yeah, didn’t feel like my ticker was being tested.

As good as the defence has been, I think you have to give a lot of credit to the midfield, Ozoh and Ebou in particular, been a while since I can remember such physical presence in front of the defence.