Championship 24/25 rival watch

Plymouth signing Obafemi on loan, a good player a couple games a season. He does seem to fall out with nearly every manager though also has refused to play on multiple occasions and wasn’t allowing Ireland to call him up for international duty for a while. He’s essentially an absolute t***. Not worth signing him on a big wage loan who’ll give you more problems than goals.

48 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

I guess they were dead and buried last season and heading nowhere fast until he came in and kept them up in the season which required over 50 points to stay up? 

The expectation is that they would take the second-half season form and multiply it by two. It never works like that, does it? Rohl came in tweaked a few things, got some good loan players and the team got confident in putting wins together. The team clearly still very much lacks quality to be at the very top end of the division and once Rohl comes up against some adversity then it will be interesting to see how they respond as a group, can the culture he built withstand?

managers are almost seen as the guy with the remote control, in control of every detail and decision when it’s clearly not the case. I do think Rohl is a good manager, but the team lacks quality and are one of the worst in the division (along with ourselves) so I think he will be a differentiator for them and keep them safe but talk of top 10 plus finish with the strength of team in this division is complete delusion. 

Edited by Ambitious

2 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

I guess they were dead and buried last season and heading nowhere fast until he came in and kept them up in the season which required over 50 points to stay up? 

Yes, but this season many people are tipping them for the top half, in some cases even the play offs.

Have they really improved that much?

Having watched a few champ games now its clear to see there is a real shortage of high class strikers,most teams seem to want there forwards to work as hard as they can but at the expense of actual goal scoring 

42 minutes ago, Thameram said:

Having watched a few champ games now its clear to see there is a real shortage of high class strikers,most teams seem to want there forwards to work as hard as they can but at the expense of actual goal scoring 

Watched the u21s last night on RamsTV and the new striker signing Mani Ilesanmi looked good. What seemed obvious was he in the box in the right place (to score) although passes didn't reach him very often. 

35 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Watched the u21s last night on RamsTV and the new striker signing Mani Ilesanmi looked good. What seemed obvious was he in the box in the right place (to score) although passes didn't reach him very often. 

I know the pressure is different in the champ but it would be nice to see more players in the box gambling the cross might be of quality they just have to pick the right moments bryson was great at that 

Edited by Thameram

2 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Green army giving me hope again that we can stay up 

That was a wild 2 minutes. Whittaker passes the ball to a QPR player then tackles back and it flies in basically. Then Forshaw gets the most obvious second yellow you’ve ever seen and they go down to 10 men after half hour. 

1 minute ago, trappatoni said:

I think Plymouth look ok - controversial maybe but I'd rather watch their football than ours.  Whether Rooney can get results to match is still in question.   

Whittaker's strike was a proper goal of the month contender 

Yep I agree. That Sissoko on loan looks fun. Need a bit of an old head or two, maybe at centre half and in midfield?

4 minutes ago, trappatoni said:

I think Plymouth look ok - controversial maybe but I'd rather watch their football than ours.  Whether Rooney can get results to match is still in question.   

Whittaker's strike was a proper goal of the month contender 

What a goal by Whittaker . Scored 19 last season in a poor team . Valued at £10-£20 million . What did Cooper see , that we didn’t ?

6 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

What a goal by Whittaker . Scored 19 last season in a poor team . Valued at £10-£20 million . What did Cooper see , that we didn’t ?

He was scoring goals from the edge of the box every week for the U18s and 21s.

I repeated it on a weekly basis the need to give him a couple of seasons to adjust to men's football. If we weren't limited on signing players, he would have played the entire 19/20 season in the U21s and scored 20 goals with a further 10 assists - he was already on 10 G/A after 8 games, plus 8 in 4 European Youth League games. He then would have been a valuable squad player in 20/21 full of confidence and one of the most highly rated youngsters in the country.

However, Rooney became manager... 2 sub apps during the 'joint manager' period, then directly under Rooney he made 2 more sub apps - a last minute sub in one game, followed by being brought on in the first half due to injury and hauled off 20 minutes of the 2nd half. Rooney made his mind up on a 19 year old, discarded him after those games and sold him on the last day of the following transfer window. 

2 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I repeated it on a weekly basis the need to give him a couple of seasons to adjust to men's football. If we weren't limited on signing players, he would have played the entire 19/20 season in the U21s and scored 20 goals with a further 10 assists - he was already on 10 G/A after 8 games, plus 8 in 4 European Youth League games. He then would have been a valuable squad player in 20/21 full of confidence and one of the most highly rated youngsters in the country.

However, Rooney became manager... 2 sub apps during the 'joint manager' period, then directly under Rooney he made 2 more sub apps - a last minute sub in one game, followed by being brought on in the first half due to injury and hauled off 20 minutes of the 2nd half. Rooney made his mind up on a 19 year old, discarded him after those games and sold him on the last day of the following transfer window. 

Wont forgive Rooney for that. It simply wasn’t justified to haul him off after subbing him on. He wasn’t having a great game but no one was.

7 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Wont forgive Rooney for that. It simply wasn’t justified to haul him off after subbing him on. He wasn’t having a great game but no one was.

Who did he bring on instead I can't remember. 

1 minute ago, Ghost of Clough said:

On for Lawrence after 33 minutes. I think Knigjt moved to AM, woth Whittaker coming on at RW. The score was 0-0.

Off for Waghorn after 69 mins. The score was 0-0.

The game finished 0-0.

I guess it was meant to be 'tough love', and a new manager not recognising that not every player responds in the same way as he might have.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Good insight . Chubby finger by me