Investment

1 hour ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Depends on the price Clowes would be looking for.

It's a tough one, we have a stadium worth a few quid. An academy with loads of potential, if given to the right hands.

It's just our first team squad that is lacking in any real quality or resale value. 

But potential investors will see us as relegation favourites and rightly so so they will keep their chequebook firmly closed

21 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Given the history, I think investment in the club alongside DC is pretty unlikely. Unfortunately.
Much more likely he will sell the club in due course and keep the stadium 

Will be interesting to see whether he reaches for the chequebook in January if we’re struggling

That doesn't sound likely at all - potentially lose £10m or so a season for what in return?

9 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

That doesn't sound likely at all - potentially lose £10m or so a season for what in return?

selling the club now would probably crystallise a loss that he wouldn’t be able to recover on the stadium.

i think he’ll struggle to find an investment partner in the short term. In which case he’ll aim to settle us in the championship, find a buyer of the club in due course to take him out at cost or more, and perhaps hold on to the stadium (where he’ll get a handsome rental yield given his purchase price)

… which means we won’t be knocking on the door of the PL any time soon. 

Just now, kevinhectoring said:

selling the club now would probably crystallise a loss that he wouldn’t be able to recover on the stadium.

i think he’ll struggle to find an investment partner in the short term. In which case he’ll aim to settle us in the championship, find a buyer of the club in due course to take him out at cost or more, and perhaps hold on to the stadium (where he’ll get a handsome rental yield given his purchase price)

… which means we won’t be knocking on the door of the PL any time soon. 

So you've talked around and around the point. What's he going to do if Warne continues in the same vein?

30 minutes ago, Thameram said:

It's quite obvious we haven't got the money to compete with top half I expect a relegation battle with some highs and alot of lows and the performance will not get much better because the players we have are not good enough we are shopping in the budget end of the market in an inflated shopping centre 

We’ve literally had no investment. We got 9 million from the money and 2.5 million in add ons albeit not all the money will come in now. 

let 6 go and replaced with 9 and some of those high earners so our wages shouldn’t have gone up that much. We are at least lower mid table financially. Even with no more incomings we have a solid back line and with good coaching on the ball we should have enough to see us through. We need to stop up this season I think to get a buy out or investment. If we go down we have no chance 

35 minutes ago, Thameram said:

It's quite obvious we haven't got the money to compete with top half I expect a relegation battle with some highs and alot of lows and the performance will not get much better because the players we have are not good enough we are shopping in the budget end of the market in an inflated shopping centre 

Rooney and Rosenior did ok shopping in the past their sell by date market

11 minutes ago, Mr Ramtastic said:

Rooney and Rosenior did ok shopping in the past their sell by date market

So did Warne last season.

Rooney’s achievements were partly galvanised by the “us against the world” scenario we were in and we’ll never know how Rosenior would have faired for a full season in league 1 under such constraints let alone the Championship,

5 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

So did Warne last season.

Rooney’s achievements were partly galvanised by the “us against the world” scenario we were in and we’ll never know how Rosenior would have faired for a full season in league 1 under such constraints let alone the Championship,

Rooney and Rosenoir did it in the championship and kept us in it …… just. With the football equivalent of rag tag and bobtail I see nothing that suggests we will stay up this season as it stands and how much have they spent around what £3m ? 

Edited by Mr Ramtastic

6 hours ago, Thameram said:

...we are shopping in the budget end of the market in an inflated shopping centre 

We needed a few extra things for our holiday and suggested heading to Primark for some odds n sods. However, we're now in the Trafford Center and everything costs a bomb so we're looking vaguely interested in some designer stuff,  before getting a Maccies and heading back to the town centre with our tails between our legs with the missus muttering and grabbing 3 vest tops for a fiver instead.

Edited by Chester40

43 minutes ago, Mr Ramtastic said:

Rooney and Rosenoir did it in the championship and kept us in it …… just. With the football equivalent of rag tag and bobtail I see nothing that suggests we will stay up this season as it stands and how much have they spent around what £3m ? 

Ah sorry. I thought you were referring to when LR was interim manager.

They only kept us the Championship by a single point and thanks to Sheffield Wednesday’s points deduction. I’m not sure PW will afforded the same recognition of achievement if we survive under the same circumstances.

On 27/08/2024 at 00:25, Gritstone Ram said:

How would you regulate football? 

How do you keep investment?

I think it’s massively unfair but unless we can off load the bigger clubs we’re stuck in a situation that is geared up for them.

Fair point. It's probably too late for an independent regulator to have any impact. It needed to happen at the onset of the PL and Sky influence. As ManCity have proven, you can break rules, as long as you can afford expensive legal experts to tie the authorities in knots. 

I personally think getting investment will be very hard, anybody who wants to invest enough to move the needle will want control. DC does not seem to want to sell at this stage, only get additional investment, so we might need to get used to transfer windows like this one!

22 minutes ago, OH Ram said:

I personally think getting investment will be very hard, anybody who wants to invest enough to move the needle will want control. DC does not seem to want to sell at this stage, only get additional investment, so we might need to get used to transfer windows like this one!

We all agreed that DCFC would be worth much more in the Championship. So David Clowes is playing Russian Roulette by making little investment into the squad . ( with 4 hrs left) .L1 was at its weakest last season . Coming back up again may not be as easy next time .

See, I say that because our points total for 2nd place has only been exceeded 4 times in 20 years - and Pompey's 97 points only bested 7 times - so if last season was the "weakest ever" what factors are being used to define that?

22 minutes ago, Crewton said:

See, I say that because our points total for 2nd place has only been exceeded 4 times in 20 years - and Pompey's 97 points only bested 7 times - so if last season was the "weakest ever" what factors are being used to define that?

Is that a rhetorical question 🤔