Formation

On 30/07/2024 at 01:36, Comrade 86 said:

Surprised and somewhat disappointed to hear this, mostly because nobody else has ever said as much. What was the point of promotion then, if Warne has simply taken us from one really tough division to an even tougher one!?! Idiot. No wonder he keeps getting relegated 😑

Maybe he just isnt good enough for the championship....

19 hours ago, May Contain Nuts said:

Rotherham's chances are always slim, but Steve Evans kept them up in 2014/15, Neil Warnock saved them in 2015/16 and Matt Taylor kept them up in 2022/23.

Granted the last one was given decent head start by Warne but there's no guarantees they wouldn't have suffered a late season slump had he stayed.

This isn't actually a dig at Warne but it's also 3 relegations not 2. You can't just discount 2016/17, he had 5-6 months in charge.

Warne never had a big budget or an extensive / deep squad but along the way the club did sign / he did work with quite a number of players who've gone on to establish themselves at Championship level. Probably just not enough all at the same time.

If you made a team up of the best Rotherham players of the last 20 years, they are probably still favourites to go down. Also as we know, the difference between relegation and mid table in the championship can be 6 points. It isn’t an easy league to stay in when you don’t have funds or fame to attract players.

19 hours ago, Tombo said:

I think a conversation needs to be had about what exactly constitutes "attractive football" anymore.

Do Pep's City play "good football"? I don't think so, I think it's dull and negative and just suffocates the game into submission until you win.

Do fans want to see their team play it around the back and keep the ball away from the pressing attackers?

A team who move the ball fast on the counter and try to beat the defensive line and get in behind is much better to watch, even if it means that they have to play very direct football to get it into the attacking third as quickly as possible.

There's more to enjoying watching your team play than just "I hope they don't pass it more than 5 yards at a time otherwise we'll get called hoofball merchants"

I agree with this to an extent. I re-watched highlights of our away wins at Oxford and Port Vale and some of the football was very good and exciting.  I know so far we have been a million miles off but lets wait and see.

Listening to the Rams Daily podcast, Dom asked Warne about 5 versus 4 at the back, his response was words to the effect of I’ve preferred a 5 but with the wide players we’ve got at the top end of the pitch and the other options in the squad maybe a 4-3-3 suits us better, and we’ll sometimes vary that. That’s me paraphrasing it, but direct from the horses mouth he’s showing an awareness for the options in the squad and that maybe a back 4 suits better. 

There are exciting players in the squad and they will take a while to gel.

Ozoh looks quite an athlete but is playing it safe in terms of carrying the ball and trying difficult passes.

We have to find ways of getting more ball to Goudmijn who looks very good technically.

Finally, and perhaps most importantly, we have to decide as a team what type of crosses we are going to put in and where we expect players to be to take advantage.

All of that will take a while and I hope the fans will be patient.

The defence is more worrying. Cashin was waddling around like a 40 year old and Bradley was in full Fawlty mode.

In a league game, I think Adams would have been sent off for a collection of late challenges.

It will take a while for him and Ozoh to work out who stays and who goes. There was a long distance between them and the attack last night and we could have done with one of them taking up a position on the edge of the opposition box when we attacked.

So, the personnel are there. We do need more pace in defence and more presence in the box. We might end up in a few games playing just one of Jackson or NML with our new striker alongside Yates, who looks tidy.

1 minute ago, Anag Ram said:

Yates, who looks tidy.

He really impressed me with his movement and intelligence last night. Was a bit of an unknown quantity for me so I liked the moments he dropped deep to link play, which was best highlighted by his role in the second goal. A couple of times when he was in the box the ball just eluded him or he wasn’t quite bold enough taking a chance to stretch for the finish. With more time alongside his teammates and some confidence I think he’ll be decent for us. Such a shame he’s carrying that suspension. 

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

How does that work then?

I take it to mean some games we’ll play with a back 4, and others we’ll play with a back 3, I guess depending on the way the opposition set up. 
4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 for some matches, 3-4-3/3-4-2-1 or 3-5-2 for others. 

6 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I take it to mean some games we’ll play with a back 4, and others we’ll play with a back 3, I guess depending on the way the opposition set up. 
4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 for some matches, 3-4-3/3-4-2-1 or 3-5-2 for others. 

No this bit "...however there will be games you can't play with two CB's, you have to play with three." I don't get it. 

1 hour ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

He really impressed me with his movement and intelligence last night. Was a bit of an unknown quantity for me so I liked the moments he dropped deep to link play, which was best highlighted by his role in the second goal. A couple of times when he was in the box the ball just eluded him or he wasn’t quite bold enough taking a chance to stretch for the finish. With more time alongside his teammates and some confidence I think he’ll be decent for us. Such a shame he’s carrying that suspension. 

Yates will be missed early in the season , not sure how attacking Warne intends to go in the first few games. Also not sure how Osborn fits into the managers master plan . The only player we have that is taking a drop in class. Do we build a team around him ? ( he will still be a bit shell- shocked from playing in a team that shipped 100+ goals in a season ).

5 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

No this bit "...however there will be games you can't play with two CB's, you have to play with three." I don't get it. 

Again, I took it to mean there will be games when the set up for the match better suits a 3 instead of a 2. As in, “playing with a 2 won’t work against this team so we’ll use a back 3”. Or perhaps on comment on availability of players, maybe he means he’ll have to switch to a 3 in some games depending on if we’ve got the options further forward 🤔 

I think it’s him signposting we’ll still use a variety of systems rather than sticking to just the one, in a typically Warne way. 

IMG_5322.thumb.jpeg.93cdad712c4a6d82b59a87ff853d28b4.jpeg

Looking at our squad and our probable additions and exits we have to go with 4-3-3. I’m assuming Fornah and Washington will leave either permanently or on loan. Dajaune and D.Robinson will also go out on loan I’d imagine. With Rooney also injured for the first half of the season this would leave us with a 26 man squad going into the season. If we get a good target man, Karamoko Dembele + good prem loans at left back and centre back I think we will be well able to stay up.

On 28/07/2024 at 19:48, i-Ram said:

Surely there must be an Ian Ormonroyd or Kevin Francis type player out there that the other 10 players can kick the ball at?

The beanpole that was Ormandroyd was actually rubbish in the air. Surprisingly good with his feet but could not head the ball in a known direction.

50 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

Am I the only one who remembers a time when there was just the one centre half in a team?

The old Herbert Chapman WM system, numbers 1-11, cogs in boots, laced up footballs.

…………………I remember it well. 😁

Goalie

Right full back           Centre half           Left full back

Right half back            Left half back

Inside right                                         Inside left

Outside right                  Centre forward                          Outside left

Aged 5, I first went to Bloomfield Road in 1954 as my parents bought a hotel in Blackpool. During the next 10 years, I watched these play in the Chapman system - sadly not all at the same time or the Seasiders would have won everything. Those were the days.                        

Tony Waiters

Jimmy Armfield               Harry Johnston                                 ANO

Ernie Taylor                                Emlyn Hughes                 

Alan Ball                                                                 Dave Durie

Stanley Matthews                          Stan Mortensen                              Bill Perry          

So i know its early doors and there hopefully will be a few more coming in but im getting a little confused with how were going to play!

Warnes saying he wants players to close down and high tempo but surely at this level and with the players we have were just going to get passed around and countered no?

I thought wed set up defensively and hit teams on the counter with pace but our defensive play doesnt look solid enough! 

I know its early days and im not a warne basher! Im sure they know what there doing and who they need to bring in to play how they want to play! Im no way some tactical expert either but thats just my early observations from pre season at the first two games!

Up the Rams 🐏🐏