Formation

What formation would people prefer us to play most often in the coming season?

Feels like some sort of 4-2-3-1 would best suit the squad we have (or look likely to have), but we all know Warne loves his 3/5 at the back...

We'll likely see a mixture of formations largely dependant on the opposition, sometimes a back 3/5 and sometimes a back 4 (just like last season).

I do think a back 4 suits most of our squad better (as it stands), other than Wilson & Ward really.

Edited by Carnero

Vickers

Nyambe Nelson Cashin Forsyth

Wilson Adams Ozoh Osborn

Mendez Yates 

Best atm for me . 

Shortage of goals 

With 5 or 6 more to come in .. 

Who knows , not even the management yet !?

Edited by bucktwo

If we play with wing backs we won't score goals - simple as. Then I think defensive errors will cost us and we lose games 1-0.

We have no creativity in the current squad, and we don't have a prolific goal scorer. 

We've signed midfielders who are not 10 Goals/10 Assist players so far.

So 3 defenders, 2 wing backs, 2 or 3 centre mids - none of them are going to score goals to the level we need.

A switch to 4-2-3-1 will help as it will get an extra body up the pitch for me.

I like the look of some of the players that have come in - I don't yet like the look of how we will gel as a team together.

1 minute ago, bucktwo said:

Vickers

Nyambe Nelson Cashin Forsyth

Wilson Adams Ozoh Osborn

Mendez Yates 

Best atm for me . 

Shortage of goals 

With 5 or 6 more to come in .. 

Who knows , not even the management yet !?

Essentially 6211 with 2 defensive mids. No wonder you've concluded that team lacks goals

Has to be 4-2-3-1 and I sadly think it might take a bit of time to realize that.

One of Ozoh and Adams beside one of Osborn and Kenzo offers a lot of enegery akd protection for a back 4 of a new lb, Cashin Nelson and Nyambe. Then behind a target man then rotate Mendez Laing and a new no.10 as behind the striker and we have a multitude of options to play on the wing between Barkhuizen, Jackson, CBT, Wilson, Ward and Mendez Laing himself. This also allows us to play Yates off a big man at times with two wide players beside him which will benefit him greatly as he’s a poacher.

13 hours ago, RamInSweden said:

Best formation for the players we have must be 4231 surely. We don’t have 3 good centre backs for this level and NML just doesn’t play well as a second striker.

Vickers

Nyambe Nelson Cashin Osborne

Adams Ozoh

Goudmijn

Jackson Yates NML

I’d go with a similar set up with 4123

Vickers

Nyambe Nelson Cashin Fozzie 

Adams

Ozoh Osborne

Jackson Yates NML

Still think Fozzie is one of the best defenders we have, would like to see Adams mopping up in front of the back four, would leave Kenzo out for a week or 2 until he gets up to speed with the English game. Jackson definitely not a number 9.

40 minutes ago, BaianoPOTY98 said:

I’d go with a similar set up with 4123

Vickers

Nyambe Nelson Cashin Fozzie 

Adams

Ozoh Osborne

Jackson Yates NML

Still think Fozzie is one of the best defenders we have, would like to see Adams mopping up in front of the back four, would leave Kenzo out for a week or 2 until he gets up to speed with the English game. Jackson definitely not a number 9.

Definitely would not play Fozzy at left back, he has been solid at centre back, but we saw him at left back in recent years in the championship and he got absolutely blitzed.

40 minutes ago, RamInSweden said:

Definitely would not play Fozzy at left back, he has been solid at centre back, but we saw him at left back in recent years in the championship and he got absolutely blitzed.

Yeh I know what you’re saying but he looked good there on Wed night against Chessie when the rest of our defenders were struggling. Not sure Osbourne is a left back and still not convinced with Elder🤔

1 hour ago, BaianoPOTY98 said:

Yeh I know what you’re saying but he looked good there on Wed night against Chessie when the rest of our defenders were struggling. Not sure Osbourne is a left back and still not convinced with Elder🤔

Honesly all our left backs are dodgy as s*** at this level, if we are going to play a 4 we have to sign a left back with pace who can get tight or we will be f***** down that side every week.

1 hour ago, BaianoPOTY98 said:

It’s probably all wishful thinking anyway. Warne we know will start the season 3/5/2 if he can, even though it’s probably the least suitable formation for us to play.

One thing I do know, given the reaction to what was a meaningless friendly, if we start badly the fans are going to be on Warne like a ton of bricks.