Rohan Luthra - signed on a 1-year-deal

2 hours ago, Crewton said:

I think Seaman will forever be haunted by 'infamous'  big match errors : Nayim from the halfway line and Ronaldinho from a similar distance v Brazil 2002. For the most part, he was a great keeper, but I don't recall Southall making comparable gaffs.

Problem with keepers is we always remember the errors.Shilton v Poland at Wembley and agains us at the BBG in the 4-1 defeat.Didn't see Southall that often but I'll bet he had his share as well

Is there some bias towards Shilton out of former player loyalty? 

I’ve not seen hours and hours of content but surely a keeper being talked about as the country’s best should be able to get somewhere near penalties? 👀 

17 hours ago, nogbad van 50 said:

Problem with keepers is we always remember the errors. Shilton v Poland at Wembley

His worst one was when he suddenly forgot how to use his legs when we conceded to Germany in the 1990 World Cup SF..... 🙄

15 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

I’ve not seen hours and hours of content but surely a keeper being talked about as the country’s best should be able to get somewhere near penalties? 👀 

6 minutes ago, StaffsRam said:

His worst one was when he suddenly forgot how to use his legs when we conceded to Germany in the 1990 World Cup SF..... 🙄

Back in the summer of 1990 my grandad and uncle were taking the barriers out of the Osmaston end.  I spent a fair bit of time down there and Shilton and McMinn post world cup would do some shoot and save practise on the pitch.  I used to lob the ball back to him as he had an ongoing back problem that restricted movement.  I'm not sure why he played at all.  

5 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Back in the summer of 1990 my grandad and uncle were taking the barriers out of the Osmaston end.  I spent a fair bit of time down there and Shilton and McMinn post world cup would do some shoot and save practise on the pitch.  I used to lob the ball back to him as he had an ongoing back problem that restricted movement.  I'm not sure why he played at all.  

I was being slightly facetious with the Germany goal. To me it always looked like he'd just been wrong-footed. It looked like he took a step forward just as it deflected off Parker and then looped up over him before he could recover and go backwards. Given what you're saying though, perhaps it was just that lack of mobility after all. Either way, he was a decent keeper for us I thought. Not without fault but definitely did a job for us before it all started going wrong when Maxwell f***ed us over.

1 hour ago, StaffsRam said:

Or the three crosses he dropped against us in the 4-1 against that team that play in red.

4 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

Whenever Derby played Leicester in the early 70s, Shilton was the only factor that kept the score respectable. Without Shilton, Forest wouldn't have won a thing. By 1990, he was still a terrific shotstopper, but had lost that spring in his legs. He was playing at international level when most keepers had retired. No doubt in my mind - he's in the top 3 UK keepers 

I read an article that said Shilton was that deluded about his own abilities that when facing a penalty he wouldn't dive early but wait for the penalty taker to shoot then try to save it as a normal shot. 

Someone did a study to show from that range nobodys reactions are that good which explains Shiltons horrendous record in saving spot kicks. 

1 hour ago, Tyler Durden said:

I read an article that said Shilton was that deluded about his own abilities that when facing a penalty he wouldn't dive early but wait for the penalty taker to shoot then try to save it as a normal shot. 

Someone did a study to show from that range nobodys reactions are that good which explains Shiltons horrendous record in saving spot kicks. 

Surely if he'd dived early and saved a penalty, the ref would have ordered it to be retaken? For most of his time, goalkeepers weren't supposed to move before the ball was kicked.

Shilton never picked a side to dive to instead he tried to follow the flight of the ball after it was kicked and only Superman's reactions would have been quick enough to save the penalty that way....look back at all of the penalties he let in versus Germany in World Cup; he never remotely looked like saving any.

8 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Shilton never picked a side to dive to instead he tried to follow the flight of the ball after it was kicked and only Superman's reactions would have been quick enough to save the penalty that way....look back at all of the penalties he let in versus Germany in World Cup; he never remotely looked like saving any.

They must have been aware he had a back issue.  They also had a giant on the bench in Beasant.  It would have been seen as poor form back in the day to remove a regular goalie who had played so many tournaments and played every game to that point I suppose.  Nowadays he be taken off and a giant put in goal Krul style.  

6 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

He was a great keeper till end of 89.  By 91 he was beaten by a header from David Speedie who was about 5"5 when coming out to punch.  I still remember the Blackburn fans singing Foggie what's the score.  That was it and he went to Plymouth shortly after as player/manager.

2 hours ago, Crewton said:

Whenever Derby played Leicester in the early 70s, Shilton was the only factor that kept the score respectable. Without Shilton, Forest wouldn't have won a thing. By 1990, he was still a terrific shotstopper, but had lost that spring in his legs. He was playing at international level when most keepers had retired. No doubt in my mind - he's in the top 3 UK keepers 

The game in the first Championship season is by some distance the best goalkeeping performance by a mile.

Stood smack behing him in the ossie end goal, Derby won 3-0, if it wasn't for Shilton it would have 10+.

Just now, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

He was a great keeper till end of 89.  By 91 he was beaten by a header from David Speedie who was about 5"5 when coming out to punch.  I still remember the Blackburn fans singing Foggie what's the score.  That was it and he went to Plymouth shortly after as player/manager.

True he was declining quickly by then, however he was 41.

1 minute ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

He was beaten by Maradona back in '86, still think he should have got that.