Who should be captain?

Sean

5 hours ago, jimtastic56 said:

If we follow the route of international football - Only the captain can question the referee on the pitch . Then it Will matter who does the job . 

That great in theory, but the referee would need to use a lot of common sense (which wouldn't fill me with confidence). In the heat of the moment any professional player, purely through their competitive nature, is going to question a dodgy decision made by the referee, if only by saying that they won the ball. Is that then going to be an instant booking? The ball goes out for a throw in, the ref gives it to the other team, can you not now say that the opponent got the last touch? Abuse of the referee needs to be stamped out, but having players booked and ultimately suspended for reaching a certain number before a certain date isn't going to improve the situation.

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

100% no.

Obviously, like most people, I'm delighted he's back but, he strikes me as a bit the joker in the pack. The guy you can generally expect to see with a smile on his face. Making him captain would probably stifle this side of his personality to the detriment of his game.

I would agree with you if we were competing right at the top end of the game where I feel the importance of certain characteristics for a captain are different to where we are right now and the pressure is much higher there too. 

He doesn’t come across as a joker to me but a wholly positive and respected member of the team and it’s for those traits, alongside the fact he’s a good age, likely to be a starter week in week out and and he leaves nothing on the pitch, that I think he’s a perfect captain for us for the next couple of seasons. I don’t think being captain of a likely mid table championship team should weigh down on his personality, but I understand where you’re coming from. 

I always like a captain to be a CM or CB, so if not him I reckon Nelson is the next best option. 

2 minutes ago, thischarmingram said:

I would agree with you if we were competing right at the top end of the game where I feel the importance of certain characteristics for a captain are different to where we are right now and the pressure is much higher there too. 

He doesn’t come across as a joker to me but a wholly positive and respected member of the team and it’s for those traits, alongside the fact he’s a good age, likely to be a starter week in week out and and he leaves nothing on the pitch, that I think he’s a perfect captain for us for the next couple of seasons. I don’t think being captain of a likely mid table championship team should weigh down on his personality, but I understand where you’re coming from. 

I always like a captain to be a CM or CB, so if not him I reckon Nelson is the next best option. 

I think, regardless of whereabouts in the table a team is competing, being captain would/should bring extra responsibilities. What if we’re competing towards the bottom end of the table as many fear? Surely the pressures there must be even greater than at the top.

I didn’t mean “joker” in a negative sense. I just think being made captain may stifle his game a little. Someone like Nelson would be a far better option IMO. 

9 hours ago, richinspain said:

having players booked and ultimately suspended for reaching a certain number before a certain date isn't going to improve the situation.

Won’t they learn their lesson ? Especially when their clubs fine them 

3 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

Won’t they learn their lesson ? Especially when their clubs fine them 

Do you really expect any player when a decision is given against them to not even make a comment to the ref?

7 hours ago, richinspain said:

Do you really expect any player when a decision is given against them to not even make a comment to the ref?

Could start with parents on the sidelines, then under 10 players . In 10 years time we could have made a bit of progress in the stopping of abuse towards referee’s. Abuse from fans will never end as we all think we know better.

6 hours ago, richinspain said:

Well if rugby Union players can do it, why can’t footballers?  

I could name 20 other sports 

For years  the football authorities have allowed footballers to behave like toe rags because, as they see it, it adds to the ‘passion’ and so brings more money to a game that already suffers from having too much. They disregard the massive corrosive  effect this has on society, in particular the behaviour of young males for whom these players are role models. 

Simulation, swearing,  constant disrespect for officials and other players…  etc etc

This is why what Southgate has been trying to do is so important 

33 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Could start with parents on the sidelines, then under 10 players . In 10 years time we could have made a bit of progress in the stopping of abuse towards referee’s. Abuse from fans will never end as we all think we know better.

In ten years time it's possible that behaviour towards referees will have changed, but the first year we're going to see players booked and sent off left, right and centre. Perhaps an orange card could be introduced? First offence an orange card, second a yellow. At least for the first year.

35 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Well if rugby Union players can do it, why can’t footballers?  

I could name 20 other sports 

For years  the football authorities have allowed footballers to behave like toe rags because, as they see it, it adds to the ‘passion’ and so brings more money to a game that already suffers from having too much. They disregard the massive corrosive  effect this has on society, in particular the behaviour of young males for whom these players are role models. 

Simulation, swearing,  constant disrespect for officials and other players…  etc etc

This is why what Southgate has been trying to do is so important 

But it has to be progressive. I certainly wouldn't expect players to stop and think before telling the referee that he's made a mistake, even in a civilised way.

What is the role of Captain at a football club. Those who watched Hourihane's interview just after he got the job last season will remember him saying how multi-facetted it is.

It's the on-field representative of the Manager.

It's a buffer between players and staff.

It's giving advice to younger players (and some older ones at that) on anything and everything from personal to playing and other issues.

Basically, you need a certain maturity to carry out the role.

39 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

I think most refs will be sensible on the booking lark. A player going mental and being demonstrably anti is going to get carded. That's obvious. A casual remark such as "I played the ball ref" made in a civil manner shouldn't lead to a card.

In the event of 7 players surrounding the ref, I'd book all 7.

Exactly as I hope and expect the rule to be implemented. I suspect the fears some may have that, as soon as a player makes any sort of comment to the referee they’ll be booked, are unfounded.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Big Bad Bob said:

I'm currently on holiday so I may have missed it. But has the captain been announced yet? 

Nope, but I would assume at this stage it's almost certainly going to be NML, with Foz club captain. 

1 hour ago, Ambitious said:

Nope, but I would assume at this stage it's almost certainly going to be NML, with Foz club captain. 

Mmm. It seems a little odd that season kick off is only a few days away and they haven't announced who will be captain. I hope it isn't NML as I don't want him to be distracted from his primary role of tearing the opposition a new one.