Gareth Southgate Resigns as England Manager

Wolfie

17 minutes ago, Premier ram said:

Postecoglu would be my choice to replace Southgate 

He would certainly improve the entertainment on show. Apparently he's been tracked by the FA for several years so not impossible that they target him.

13 hours ago, Turk Thrust said:

Like he was in the Euros?

Joint golden boot winner? Doesn't say much for all the other strikers at the tournament if Kane could still do that while being hampered by an injury and playing in a system that didn't suit him. Hopefully, he'll get his back sorted out but, fully fit and with the ball in the penalty area, he's still the best finisher we've got. If he's lost it, that will become obvious between now and the next WC.

1 hour ago, Crewton said:

Joint golden boot winner? Doesn't say much for all the other strikers at the tournament if Kane could still do that while being hampered by an injury and playing in a system that didn't suit him. Hopefully, he'll get his back sorted out but, fully fit and with the ball in the penalty area, he's still the best finisher we've got. If he's lost it, that will become obvious between now and the next WC.

Agreed - and lets not forget that he scored a bucketload in his domestic season, so it's not like he wasn't on form

Southgate was pretty ruthless on not selecting players who were out of form and/or carrying injuries (eg Maguire, Mount, Grealish) where he thought he had better direct replacement options. 

So if Kane wasn't fully fit, it must just have been that Southgate had no better option

No messing with the job spec by the FA! Seems pretty specific...

THE ROLE

Lead and develop the England senior men's team to win a major tournament and be consistently ranked as one of the top teams in the world.

Provide inspiring leadership to a world class, multi-disciplinary technical team based at St. George's Park.

Develop and maintain strong relationships with clubs who employ English qualified players.

THE SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE

Will hold a UEFA Pro License.

Will have significant experience of English football, with a strong track record delivering results in the Premier League and/or leading international competitions.

Will be an exceptional leader who understands and will enjoy the international football environment.

Will be experienced in successfully identifying, managing and developing English qualified players.

Will be highly resilient and comfortable in a very high-profile role with intense public scrutiny.

Will have a track record of creating a high performing, positive team culture and environment.

Will have strong personal values and integrity and understand and embrace the role that the England Men's Senior Team Head Coach has inspiring the nation.

OUR VALUES

Aim HIGH

Achieve TOGETHER

Embrace DIFFERENCE

Should you want to register your interest and you meet the criteria above, please do this via email to mannie.neville@thefa.com

This is a private address, and should you meet all the criteria you will receive a response.

The Football Association promotes equality, diversity and inclusion, and welcomes applications from everyone who meets the criteria. If you have any requirements in respect of the recruitment or interview process, please detail this in your covering letter.

On the striker front, what happened to Tammy Abraham? Never seems to get mentioned any more but always looked a good finisher and fairly quick/physical. Always impressed me more than Nketiah and I would've said at least on a par with Callum Wilson and Ivan Toney. Admittedly haven't followed his career since he moved abroad

1 hour ago, abertawe_ram said:

On the striker front, what happened to Tammy Abraham? Never seems to get mentioned any more but always looked a good finisher and fairly quick/physical. Always impressed me more than Nketiah and I would've said at least on a par with Callum Wilson and Ivan Toney. Admittedly haven't followed his career since he moved abroad

I was thinking about him the other day. Had a good first season didn't he

Looks like a poor second season and then a bad injury for last season. Mourinho took him there and now he's gone so I wonder if Abraham will end up back in the Prem

1 hour ago, abertawe_ram said:

Had a good debut season at Roma, with a big dip in 22/23 (9 goals and 7 assists in 54 games) followed by an injury at the end of that season. Finally returned to action in April and had 1 goal and 1 assist in 12 games.

Is that job description for real?

15 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

The Football Association promotes equality, diversity and inclusion, and welcomes applications from everyone who meets the criteria.

Except I can only think of two black English managers (Paul Ince and Darren Moore) who meet the criteria:

15 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Will have significant experience of English football, with a strong track record delivering results in the Premier League and/or leading international competitions.

And you can hardly say they have a strong record of delivering results. I suppose you could say it doesn't specifically say manage in the Premier League, and maybe playing counts too, but why limit candidates to the Premier League? Why isn't Championship a good enough level?

I'll return to my domestic cup argument: surely the FA should have added at least their own competition (the FA Cup) to the criteria?  At the end of the process if the FA let it be quietly known that Eddie Howe hasn't been offered the job because he doesn't take the FA Cup seriously, then you instantly raise the prestige of the competition back to where it should be.