Sibley gone

27 minutes ago, BaianoPOTY98 said:

Not looking forward to playing Oxford this year 🤦‍♂️

Why? If any team knows how to stop Sibbo from being effective, it's us.

Jeez, dry your eyes mate.

8 minutes ago, Crewton said:

We tried to sign him. Maybe he never wanted to stay, like Bird. He needed to move on to see if he could reach his potential.

Transfermarkt dot nl shows the deal to be a free transfer. If that's true then he will have been offered a wage cut. If he was also being told he'd be LB/LWB and 2nd/3rd choice there and he was offered more money by the Us then I can understand why he'd decide to go.

We don't know the background. I just hope that "Maybe he never wanted to stay" doesn't see him slated by fans and that he gets a good welcome on his return. 

Bird? Do we know he didn't want to stay? Maybe he was given a huge wage offer and a guarantee of Championship football. Maybe he just needed a change. I hope he will get a good welcome at the end of August.

It'll be a combination of lots of things - wage amount, contract length, playing position, playing style, likely game time, future development path, etc as well as non-football factors... sometimes in life people just need a change, we've no right to expect the likes of Bird & Sibley to stay at Derby forever just because they came through our academy! Sibley is 23 in a few months time and obviously wants to spread his wings a bit now. Good luck to him.

4 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

Transfermarkt dot nl shows the deal to be a free transfer. If that's true then he will have been offered a wage cut. If he was also being told he'd be LB/LWB and 2nd/3rd choice there and he was offered more money by the Us then I can understand why he'd decide to go.

We don't know the background. I just hope that "Maybe he never wanted to stay" doesn't see him slated by fans and that he gets a good welcome on his return. 

Bird? Do we know he didn't want to stay? Maybe he was given a huge wage offer and a guarantee of Championship football. Maybe he just needed a change. I hope he will get a good welcome at the end of August.

Birdy said all along he wanted a new challenge - he's said it in many interviews.

I'm was just replying to the suggestion that we should have signed Sibbo. If his contract was as high as some have suggested, there's no way we could or should have tried to match it. His agent will have emphasised the benefits of rejecting our offer (a decent signing on fee) which would compensate for any drop in salary. I don't doubt that if Buckingham has told him he's signing him as a midfielder that would have sealed the deal.

No-one should resent either of them. They've served the club well through difficult times and they've earned their freedom to move on.

3 hours ago, Ramzabac said:

https://www.oufc.co.uk/news/louie-sibley-joins-oxford-united

emphasises his desire to play as an attacking midfielder. 

Speaking to the club for the first time since signing, he said: “It wasn’t a hard decision to make. Watching last season’s success, it’s something you want to be a part of.

"As soon as I knew of the interest, I just wanted to get this deal done.

“When I walk around the place, I get a feeling that it’s a club that is on the up. It’s a big decision for me

200w.gif?cid=6c09b9524ad6a920d265ow9dfwb

3 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Speaking to the club for the first time since signing, he said: “It wasn’t a hard decision to make. Watching last season’s success, it’s something you want to be a part of.

“When I walk around the place, I get a feeling that it’s a club that is on the up. It’s a big decision for me

Has no one told him they’re building houses on it next year 😂

33 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

A big one doesn't necessarily mean a hard one.

51 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

He wasn't going to say owt different was he?

53 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Wasn't difficult to choose Oxford, once he had made the big decision to leave. It makes sense.

7 minutes ago, Srg said:

No surprise. At the time he was going to be our Bellingham, now... a bit part left wing back, unfortunately. It is what it is, but makes no sense to match whatever wage we had him on.

It could be he's getting less at Oxford than he had been here but more than we offered...

However you slice it up, and I’m not blaming anyone currently at the club as much of it is a legacy of admin and being in L1 after it, but to get maybe £4m-£5m at a guess for Whittaker, Bird, Knight and Sibley is pretty poor stuff. On top of players like ABrown who left for nothing for whatever reason.

Knowing when to sell is as important for a club in our position as buying well. 

14 minutes ago, nottingram said:

However you slice it up, and I’m not blaming anyone currently at the club as much of it is a legacy of admin and being in L1 after it, but to get maybe £4m-£5m at a guess for Whittaker, Bird, Knight and Sibley is pretty poor stuff. On top of players like ABrown who left for nothing for whatever reason.

Knowing when to sell is as important for a club in our position as buying well. 

It's something we've been bad at for as long as I can remember.

I put it down to us usually being in a place where we want to keep these players, so may have rejected good offers - can you imagine the fan reaction? 'No ambition' etc. 

Cashin would have been a perfect recent example.

20 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

it's an easy decision or a big one.  Can't be both

Do I buy this house or not. Big decision, most definitely, not necessarily a hard one.

3 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

It's something we've been bad at for as long as I can remember.

I put it down to us usually being in a place where we want to keep these players, so may have rejected good offers - can you imagine the fan reaction? 'No ambition' etc. 

Cashin would have been a perfect recent example.

I nearly mentioned Cashin as a player we could end up holding on to for too long but thought I’d get shouted at. Not to say we should be actively hawking him but I have a feeling his ceiling is top end championship in which case his value is probably at its peak at the moment. 

But yes it is tricky with fan reaction. Selling Sibley after the 2019/20 season may have been smart but would’ve been viewed dimly. Likewise if we sold Cashin now, like you say.