Carabao Cup

20 hours ago, Curtains said:

Where is Barrow !

20 hours ago, Rampant said:

An absolute pig of a place to get to and not a pleasant road to go along if memory serves correctly.

I thought it was near Loughborough, and it's certainly a pig of a place to get to (and from), especially when the river's up on a November evening. 😀

With the A level results out today, the Today Programme contrasted somewhere in London that wasn't especially posh, but where 70% of kids would go to uni. With Barrow, where only 13% of kids get to go. Almost as if it's the most run down/deprived place in the country 😞

28 minutes ago, OUTSIDER said:

Away membership and 10

We should get 930 tickets, around 900 15+ members bought tickets for Blackburn and Watford and about another 500 for 10+.

This will be a new ground for most ( me included) but it’s also a difficult trip for a midweek. Good luck 🤞🏻 

7 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

With the A level results out today, the Today Programme contrasted somewhere in London that wasn't especially posh, but where 70% of kids would go to uni. With Barrow, where only 13% of kids get to go. Almost as if it's the most run down/deprived place in the country 😞

Perhaps a more positive spin is to say that a lot of kids in that London area (70% is at the other end of the spectrum and is way above the average) are going to end up with large student loans and a degree that may or may not help them with their chosen career. Whereas few in Barrow will have massive student loans and may, after going down an alternative route to university, secure jobs in their preferred sector.

Going to university isn't the be all and end all.

I've nearly convinced myself.

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

Perhaps a more positive spin is to say that a lot of kids in that London area (70% is at the other end of the spectrum and is way above the average) are going to end up with large student loans and a degree that may or may not help them with their chosen career. Whereas few in Barrow will have massive student loans and may, after going down an alternative route to university, secure jobs in their preferred sector.

Going to university isn't the be all and end all.

I've nearly convinced myself.

Bae systems are taking approximately 600 apprentices a year for the next few years. They also want to increase the workforce by around 7000. The kids a probably thinking go in the shipyard instead of uni.

7 minutes ago, rammieib said:

If Paul Warne is struggling to persuade players to join Derby after showing them the Stadium, Training Ground and quite literally having the shortest road trips for away games in the country, imagine trying to sell Barrow!

Barrow are based in Manchester. That’s where they train during the week.

1 hour ago, SKHunter said:

... bank holiday, when it's easily done on the train...

I'm no expert, and certainly no regular train-goer, but I do like to keep abreast of other people's lives on here, and I have to say, this is the first time I've ever seen those words written down together in that order!

I'm like "Wow"!  

12 hours ago, BarrowRam said:

Barrow are based in Manchester. That’s where they train during the week.

Yes, I read an article about that a while ago, makes it easier for them to pick up players from the North West area.

3 hours ago, SKHunter said:

Those nice people at sky tv might decide to have it at 3 o'clock on Monday 26th, bank holiday, when it's easily done on the train. Saves on hotels too. 🍺🚂

Nice thought but I'll be amazed if it happens. More likely to move the KO to 8 p.m. so even less chance of seeing all the game.

7.30 p.m. KO's would make eveything so much better from a personal perspective.

Edited by Grumpy Git

16 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Might be partly to do with the fact that BAE Submarines is recruiting 700 apprentices this year.

It seems that the latest one can leave Barrow by train and return to Derby on the same day is... 19:45.  (arr. Derby 23:54 - changes at Lancaster, Crewe, and Tamworth)

Edited by conkle